Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I found a glitch/bug in my HX Effects. What should I do?

bubba871x

So I found a bug that seems to only affect a specific combination. The Script Mod Phaser and the Script phaser will not work with the Dual Delay. When I try this combination there is a tremendous amount of audio artifact noise as if the effects are clipping badly. Every other delay seems to work fine with those two phasers. And every other phaser seems to work fine with the Dual Delay. How should I report this and seek a solution?

On 10/11/2022 at 3:41 PM, bubba871x said:

So I found a bug that seems to only affect a specific combination. The Script Mod Phaser and the Script phaser will not work with the Dual Delay. When I try this combination there is a tremendous amount of audio artifact noise as if the effects are clipping badly. Every other delay seems to work fine with those two phasers. And every other phaser seems to work fine with the Dual Delay. How should I report this and seek a solution?

I would open a ticket with the Line 6 service team explaining the behavior that you're noticing. If they can duplicate it, then they typically work hard to eliminate the bug in a future update. 

On 10/11/2022 at 3:49 PM, bubba871x said:

That's a nice video for demonstrating what you're hearing. The link to submit a ticket is here: https://line6.com/support/tickets/add.html

One thing I couldn't help but wonder, is phasers are such an odd effect what SHOULD it sound like in a dual delay? I know you countered that in your video by showing what other similar phasers did and I think you make a good point there. A few things I'm wondering:

1. The HX Effects also has an older model of the MXR Phase 90 under "legacy" models. While it's an older model, and in theory less detailed, it's still very, very similar to the original MXR Phase 90. It's one of those effects I think Line 6 did a reasonable job on prior to the Helix. It's called "Phaser" under the legacy modulation models. If you try that with the dual delays, does it still exhibit the same behavior? If it did I'd say that MIGHT mean the effect should sound that way. If it doesn't, it's more evidence that something is way wrong. 

2. Is it possible your preset is simply corrupted? If you create an all new preset and add those two effects is it still there? 

What else do you have assigned to that footswitch? I see it says "MULTIPLE (2)", when you're hitting, so perhaps you're turning something else on inadvertently.

I just tried this on my Helix, and I'm not hearing anything weird. Thought that it might have something to do with summing to mono, but I don't hear anything out of the ordinary when I try that either. So I don't know. I can check on my HX Effects later.

On 10/11/2022 at 8:02 PM, phil_m said:

What else do you have assigned to that footswitch? I see it says "MULTIPLE (2)", when you're hitting, so perhaps you're turning something else on inadvertently.

I just tried this on my Helix, and I'm not hearing anything weird. Thought that it might have something to do with summing to mono, but I don't hear anything out of the ordinary when I try that either. So I don't know. I can check on my HX Effects later.

So I have just a simple EQ also assigned to that switch. I found that the script phaser was chopping off some treble when engaged so I threw a simple eq on with it to boost the treble back to where I like it.  I took it out completely when I was trouble shooting so it's nothing to do with the EQ.  Let me know if you can replicate this issue..;. put the legacy script phase (or the modern script mod phase ) in a block and then after it put in the stereo dual delay. Turn both on and play a few notes on your amps dirty channel. 

On 10/11/2022 at 6:07 PM, Kilrahi said:

That's a nice video for demonstrating what you're hearing. The link to submit a ticket is here: https://line6.com/support/tickets/add.html

One thing I couldn't help but wonder, is phasers are such an odd effect what SHOULD it sound like in a dual delay? I know you countered that in your video by showing what other similar phasers did and I think you make a good point there. A few things I'm wondering:

1. The HX Effects also has an older model of the MXR Phase 90 under "legacy" models. While it's an older model, and in theory less detailed, it's still very, very similar to the original MXR Phase 90. It's one of those effects I think Line 6 did a reasonable job on prior to the Helix. It's called "Phaser" under the legacy modulation models. If you try that with the dual delays, does it still exhibit the same behavior? If it did I'd say that MIGHT mean the effect should sound that way. If it doesn't, it's more evidence that something is way wrong. 

2. Is it possible your preset is simply corrupted? If you create an all new preset and add those two effects is it still there? 

Yes it was the legacy scrip phase that I wanted and cannot use with dual delay. The other MXR based script mod phase acts the same way. Every other phaser works fine. I did build a whole new preset and same issue.

On 10/12/2022 at 2:34 AM, bubba871x said:

I have just a simple EQ also assigned to that switch. I found that the script phaser was chopping off some treble when engaged so I threw a simple eq on with it to boost the treble back to where I like it.  I took it out completely when I was trouble shooting so it's nothing to do with the EQ.  Let me know if you can replicate this issue

Hi,

That "Multple (2)" scribble strip also had me confused there, but  I have to agree with "phil_m" on this not being an issue on the Helix floor. Assigning either of the 2 newer Script Mod Phase blocks, and/or the Legacy Script Phase, they all function exactly as expected when run into the stereo Dual Delay.

It does seem odd that this only seems to occur on the HXFX unit, as the firmware inside should be the same other than the lack of amps.

You did't mention if you have tried a "Factory Reset" to attempt to clear any possible software glitch - usually the first line of response to unusual weirdness is a Reset.

Hope this helps/makes sense

On 10/11/2022 at 6:02 PM, phil_m said:

On 10/11/2022 at 7:34 PM, bubba871x said:

So I have just a simple EQ also assigned to that switch. I found that the script phaser was chopping off some treble when engaged so I threw a simple eq on with it to boost the treble back to where I like it.  I took it out completely when I was trouble shooting so it's nothing to do with the EQ.  Let me know if you can replicate this issue..;. put the legacy script phase (or the modern script mod phase ) in a block and then after it put in the stereo dual delay. Turn both on and play a few notes on your amps dirty channel. 

On 10/12/2022 at 7:23 AM, datacommando said:

You did't mention if you have tried a "Factory Reset" to attempt to clear any possible software glitch - usually the first line of response to unusual weirdness is a Reset.

Hopefully Phil gets a chance to test it on an actual HX Effects. I also tried doing it on the Helix Floor and I couldn't reproduce the noise. Yours is so distinctive that I was actually surprised it didn't do that. 

A factory reset sounds extensive but it's pretty easy to do so long as you back up your settings first. 

Hopefully that fixes it, but if not definitely open a ticket.

One a related note, sometimes weird stuff just happens but usually me saving over the preset with a blank one and starting fresh fixes it. The other day I was using the Helix and the A note on the fifth fret of the high E string was always pitch shifted up an octave. NOTHING else. ONLY that note. I didn't have a single pitch shifter anywhere in the preset. Even if I did, I'm not aware of anything that would do that behavior. I was completely mystified, baffled, and if I'm honest a little creeped out. 

I deleted the preset, started over, and it went away. If it hadn't factory reset was next.