Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Android Version 13 - Amplifi Remote unavailable

MarkBarrettCA

I just received a new Pixel 7 with Android version 13. I cannot download the Amplifi Remote app from the Play Store. It simply does not show up as available. Will this get added to the play store at some point? Or am I dead in the water forever with this amp?

Thanks,

Mark

• MarkBarrettCA changed the title to Android Version 13 - Amplifi Remote unavailable
  • 1 month later...

Same issue here, also Pixel7. 

Even on some older devices running Android 10, I get warnings about compatibility but in practice it works fine. If you read other posts here, it's clear Line6 have abandoned Amplifi devices some time ago. If they didn't even bother to update the app for Android 10 they will surely not make it work for Android 13. I'm just keeping an old device dedicated to controlling my Amplifi amp for now :-(.

• 3 weeks later...

Same problem here. Android 13 on the pixel drops support for 32bit apps. So it's 64 bit apps all the way (and this has apparenly been coming for a while).

Line6 would need to update the Amplifi Remote app to 64 bits.

Surely it shouldn't take them long to fix it and release another version? Otherwise, they're effectively killing off the Amplifi line - and I'll not be looking at Line6 for Amps in the future.

A banner at the top of this page explains Line 6's policy re: support of Legacy Products. The list of such products includes the AMPLIFI series. The first item in the Q&A list discusses the type of support being limited and includes software/firmware updates. Seems to me a 64-bit update is not planned.

You could open a support ticket for further information.

Looks like I made a mistake getting an Amp with any sort of software attached. I'll know in future.

I'll also avoid Line6 like the plague - as this should not take long to resolve, if they wanted to look after their customers.

We don't need any support or additional features, just a release of the existing app as a 64 bit app (which will hit everyone, eventually, when they upgrade their version of Android).

If they can't be bothered to do that, they could instead release the source code as open source (as it's now obsolete and unsupported) so that someone else can update it to 64 bit..

I’m not here to defend Line 6’s policies re: legacy products.  I will just point out that it is standard industry practice to discontinue software product updates at some point. It is also common practice for users of those products to maintain a computing environment that works, rather than updating. You do have an option to keep an old 32-bit Android or iOS device for the specific purpose of running your AMPLIFI Remote app. Again, I’m not trying to be argumentative - just pointing out a commonly used option across all software manufacturers and platforms as the underlying OS undergoes routine updates and software is plateaued.

Also, this is an industry wide issue for all Android app developers - not just Line 6. It was Android’s decision to abandon 32-bit apps. All developers of Android 32-bit apps now have to decide whether or not to update their older apps, Some will do so, others will not. This happens routinely through the industry.