Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Expression Pedal - Functional, But Limited Range (85% - 100%)

klquick

Hi all, 

I've scrounged through many threads dealing with the EXP Pedal on the Helix LT.   In my case,  the pedal is functional (confirmed in diagnostic mode), but the Helix LT is not reading the full pedal's range.  
When the heel is all the way down (should be 0%), I am seeing 85%.  With the toe down, I am then able to read 100%.  

Is this is an issue with the auto-calibration during startup?  

What I've done: 
-Loosened the hex bolt slightly due to stiffness from the factory.
-Restarted the Helix LT and swept the pedal from heel to toe, and then checked the preset (no change)
-Cleaned dust off the optical sensor below the pedal (no change)
-Confirmed the pedal changes values in "diagnostic mode" (both the toe selection and sweeping work,, but not the full range of sweeping)

Any ideas? 

Thanks for your help, 
Kent

Hi rd2rk, 

Thanks for your reply.  I upgraded to firmware 3.15 and performed a factory reset.  Since this did not resolve the issue, there must be something loose internally within the pedal that is causing the perceived range to start at 85%.   I'll contact support. 

On 10/13/2022 at 5:51 PM, klquick said:

Hi rd2rk, 

Thanks for your reply.  I upgraded to firmware 3.15 and performed a factory reset.  Since this did not resolve the issue, there must be something loose internally within the pedal that is causing the perceived range to start at 85%.   I'll contact support. 

Contacting support does sound like the way to go at this point. Not that I would think that it would cause this, but is there any chance you have a cable plugged into the 'EXP Pedal 2' jack on the back panel? Also, does this happen on all presets? Factory presets? Is the diagnostic mode only showing 85-100% operation?  

On 10/13/2022 at 7:09 PM, klquick said:

When the heel is all the way down (should be 0%), I am seeing 85%.  With the toe down, I am then able to read 100%.  

Is this is an issue with the auto-calibration during startup?

Hi,

Just a thought. I know this may sound obvious, but have you checked that you haven’t inadvertently set a Controller Assignment for the EXP to a Min 85% and Max 100%. Also check your Global Settings for EXP  1 & 2.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Edited by datacommando
Added
  • Upvote 1

Hey, thanks for the ideas datacommando and HonestOpinion.  I found the root cause.  The white tape that wraps over the expression pedal bottom piece was missing.  The sensor was not picking up the lower range of the movement because it needed a brighter color?  I wrapped the piece in yellow tape and after restarting the Helix and letting the calibration do its thing, I now have the full 0 - 100% sweeping range!
I hope this helps anyone in the future with the same issue: 
0?ui=2&ik=d783a9da11&attid=0.1.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1746687072871582887&th=183d7aa370470ca7&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ_JEloD6jgayV-xBE1ApjLzwGWZWIDtg5t7Ab4srFJIj-CS4Gjv8e43kiODA-SLExF7ti2rcoTMjhlaYPZPiGZapKdJ0czoNW4vot7Wb9trlziRud-VqzFfNq0&disp=emb

• Upvote 2

On 10/14/2022 at 2:05 PM, klquick said:

Hey, thanks for the ideas datacommando and HonestOpinion.  I found the root cause.  The white tape that wraps over the expression pedal bottom piece was missing.  The sensor was not picking up the lower range of the movement because it needed a brighter color?  I wrapped the piece in yellow tape and after restarting the Helix and letting the calibration do its thing, I now have the full 0 - 100% sweeping range!
I hope this helps anyone in the future with the same issue: 
0?ui=2&ik=d783a9da11&attid=0.1.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1746687072871582887&th=183d7aa370470ca7&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ_JEloD6jgayV-xBE1ApjLzwGWZWIDtg5t7Ab4srFJIj-CS4Gjv8e43kiODA-SLExF7ti2rcoTMjhlaYPZPiGZapKdJ0czoNW4vot7Wb9trlziRud-VqzFfNq0&disp=emb

I am sure this will be incredibly helpful to someone(s) down the line. How the heck did you figure this out?

Btw, I get a dead link when I try to follow the one in your post above.

• Upvote 1

On 10/14/2022 at 7:05 PM, klquick said:

I wrapped the piece in yellow tape and after restarting the Helix and letting the calibration do its thing, I now have the full 0 - 100% sweeping range!

Wow!

Never come across that before. Very helpful info for anyone else who hits this problem.

Thanks. 

Edit: As “Honest Opinion”, above - Same here regarding the photo - blank screen on the link.

Edited by datacommando
Missing pic?
  • Upvote 1

Hi all, 

To answer some of the questions since my last post: 

• I knew from another post that the white tape that wraps around the metal piece on the bottom of the pedal is crucial for the light sensor to read the correct distance
  • Noticing that my pedal no longer had the reflective tape, I tested yellow tape, and this was close enough to the factory white tape for the sensor to work correctly 
  • I'm not sure why the tape was missing, but this fully resolved the issue for me. 
  • This fix will not work if the sensor itself is not functioning of course 

Let me know if the attached image works now for everyone. 

Thanks, 

helix_LT_pedal.jpg

• Upvote 2