Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Would Someone Try This For Me?

z3albw1rr

First, I have an HX Effects so the input impedance is fixed.

I'd love to be able to hear audio clips of the results of the following experiment if you're game:

Those of you with units you can set the Impedance on.

My understanding is that the impedance is controlled by the first block when set to Auto.

And that's true even when that block is bypassed.

So if you put a 1M device first, then a lower impedance pedal 2nd - a fuzz, or many of the drives (TS?) with the first block bypassed, even though set to auto, it's going to be 1M.

Fine.

I want to compare that to when that same 2nd block (the drive or fuzz) is first in line.

IOW, I would like to hear how the sound of a Tube Screamer changes when it's getting the 1M input versus the Auto Input (which when first, should calibrate to the pedal itself - which for a real TS is in the 450-500 range I believe).

Or even a fixed 500k input or something.

I'd love to hear this direct, or into a clean amp model (really clean, not "edge of breakup" clean) as that's going to reveal more of what's happening.

I know the Fuzzes are really problematic with this.

But I'm wondering about the other drives - how much different a TS will sound at 1M as opposed to what it's "supposed to get" for example.

I suspect they'll sound different - but HOW different and what those differences are is what I'm after.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to do this for me.

Peace

That's kind of a big ask. There are lots of videos on youtube by people who create this stuff that demonstrate how the impedance setting can impact sound. I'd reccomend you watch some of those to give you a general idea. It may not be EXACTLY what you are asking for, but it still shows the principal. I have a smattering of videos below illustrating it. 

• Upvote 2

On 10/14/2022 at 4:27 PM, z3albw1rr said:

My understanding is that the impedance is controlled by the first block when set to Auto.

And that's true even when that block is bypassed.

Half true...

There is also an option that uses the "1st active block" when set to auto.

That was introduced in a relatively recent update, but I'm not sure which one. 

On 10/14/2022 at 4:27 PM, z3albw1rr said:

I would like to hear how the sound of a Tube Screamer changes when it's getting the 1M input versus the Auto Input (which when first, should calibrate to the pedal itself - which for a real TS is in the 450-500 range I believe).

Keep in mind it's the guitar that is affected by the input impedance not the effect directly. The effect only changes because the guitar tone did.  A demonstration provided by me and my guitar will not show you how yours's will sound.

Watch the videos that already exist on this subject, and use them as a general reference. 

• Upvote 2

On 10/14/2022 at 9:00 PM, codamedia said:

Half true...

There is also an option that uses the "1st active block" when set to auto.

That was introduced in a relatively recent update, but I'm not sure which one. 

Yeah rd2rk just turned me on to that in another response.