Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Are the effects to the right of the cab/ir blocks just for stereo effects?

daveaphotopod

To clarify my question, I am not asking because I want to put something there. I am asking why you can even PUT something after the cab. Conventional knowledge leads you to think distortions, octave pedals, etc. come before the amp/head. then you can put maybe a delay and reverb in between the amp and the cab, and then of course the "last" block being the cab. 

I did read in the manual that if you have a stereo effect, it should come after because if it's put before a mono block, such as a cab/IR, it will "turn into" mono. So, that is what my question is about, really. If I want to act as if I have an FX loop, (without real pedals, using the one on the POD GO), I can put them between the amp and cab (right?) but if they're stereo...put them after? 

One minor thing I noticed (which I admittedly may have to verify again) - I put a booster (in the POD GO, not an actual one) after the cab block and it boosted everything more than being in the "fx loop" (between head and cab). Does that make sense? (I guess it doesn't matter, really. If the desired effect is desired, it doesn't matter how you get there, I suppose) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi !

If it were a real rig, having effects after the cab would be like having them on the mixer, as send or insert effects. If you goal is to get the sound of an amp miked up without any effect added by the sound guy, put everything before the cab. This is what I do on stage, as if my cab was just miked up with a simple microphone. When recording it's different, you may want stereo effects. In that case, the "console" effects would come after the cab.

Cheers.

Jay

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2022 at 4:30 AM, ceedjay said:

Hi !

If it were a real rig, having effects after the cab would be like having them on the mixer, as send or insert effects. If you goal is to get the sound of an amp miked up without any effect added by the sound guy, put everything before the cab. This is what I do on stage, as if my cab was just miked up with a simple microphone. When recording it's different, you may want stereo effects. In that case, the "console" effects would come after the cab.

Cheers.

Jay

Makes perfect sense. Thank you, Jay. 

I was so focused on live performance that stereo recording never crossed my mind. 

Thanks again!