Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hx Stomp: is there any difference between L/Mono input and Right input for mono setup?

yalyari

Is there any difference expected soundwise if I plug my guitar to L/Mono input vs. Right input? My HX Stomp signal chain is mono.

I'm planning to use this right input as a backup in case my wireless unit connected to L/Mono fails. It seems working from my quick test. There was subtle difference but I guess it's buffered (via wireless unit) vs. unbuffered. I want to make sure I'm not doing something st*p*d.

Starting with a New Preset, the L/Mono Input is on BOTH sides of the Stereo Buss.

The RIGHT Input is ONLY on the RIGHT side.

If you add a STEREO FX Block the signal stays on the RIGHT side.

As soon as you add a MONO FX Block, for instance, an amp, the signal is sent to both sides.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/17/2022 at 12:09 PM, rd2rk said:

Starting with a New Preset, the L/Mono Input is on BOTH sides of the Stereo Buss.

The RIGHT Input is ONLY on the RIGHT side.

If you add a STEREO FX Block the signal stays on the RIGHT side.

As soon as you add a MONO FX Block, for instance, an amp, the signal is sent to both sides.

Just my own curiosity. So if I plug something into the right side only, it will only appear on the right side of the path until/unless a mono block is used? But if you're plugged into only the L/Mono, it will appear on both the Left and Right sides?

On 10/18/2022 at 7:14 AM, brue58ski said:

Just my own curiosity. So if I plug something into the right side only, it will only appear on the right side of the path until/unless a mono block is used? But if you're plugged into only the L/Mono, it will appear on both the Left and Right sides?

Yes, that's what I've found from quick experiment yesterday.

@rd2rk, so L/Mono goes to both L and R by default. Does it go to L only if I put stereo block at the beginning of the chain? I forgot to test this scenario.

On 10/18/2022 at 8:14 AM, brue58ski said:

Correct. Being able to plug separate instruments into the two inputs and use panning to keep them separate allows you to have two completely separate signal chains for two separate instruments. Of course, DSP is a problem, but careful choice of amps and FX makes a duo performance at least possible.

Here's a demo preset for anyone who wants to try it. Plug a bass in the RIGHT Input and a Guitar in the LEFT. You get bass on the RIGHT and guitar on the LEFT.

L_R Input Test.hlx

On 10/18/2022 at 10:18 AM, yalyari said:

Yes, that's what I've found from quick experiment yesterday.

@rd2rk, so L/Mono goes to both L and R by default. Does it go to L only if I put stereo block at the beginning of the chain? I forgot to test this scenario.

No. Plugging into L only sends the signal to both L/R channels, so a stereo block will be - stereo!

Plugging into R only the signal remains in the R channel through a stereo block.

Simple way to think about it - use L/Mono to send one instrument to two signal chains, all panning centered. This is how to do a dual amp rig.

Use an A/B split with a FS assigned to the Split to use one rig at a time, or a Y split to use both at once.

BOTH paths will be stereo after the amp/cab blocks if you use stereo FX. A dual cab block after the stereo FX keeps it stereo, but DSP becomes an issue.

Two instruments to two signal chains - keep Path A (LEFT Input) panned LEFT and Path B (RIGHT Input) panned right. Use ONLY mono FX.

I haven't tried it, but if you have two separate stereo systems you should be able to separate the paths and use stereo FX in each, sending the L/R Main Outputs to one system and the 3/4 Sends to the other. Again, DSP is the main issue.

On 10/18/2022 at 10:06 AM, rd2rk said:

No. Plugging into L only sends the signal to both L/R channels, so a stereo block will be - stereo!

Plugging into R only the signal remains in the R channel through a stereo block.

Simple way to think about it - use L/Mono to send one instrument to two signal chains, all panning centered. This is how to do a dual amp rig.

Use an A/B split with a FS assigned to the Split to use one rig at a time, or a Y split to use both at once.

BOTH paths will be stereo after the amp/cab blocks if you use stereo FX. A dual cab block after the stereo FX keeps it stereo, but DSP becomes an issue.

Then to maintain L/R separation for stereo input, should I put split block to route L/Mono to L only? This is somewhat counter-intuitive for keyboard player which may feed stereo input to Stomp.

On 10/18/2022 at 12:56 PM, yalyari said:

Then to maintain L/R separation for stereo input, should I put split block to route L/Mono to L only? This is somewhat counter-intuitive for keyboard player which may feed stereo input to Stomp.

You need to be more specific about what it is that you're trying to accomplish.

My original use case was about plugging single guitar cable to L/Mono or R, which has been well answered by you. Thanks a lot!

Regarding plugging stereo cable into L/Mono AND R is just out of curiosity. I just want to know how HX Stomp behaves if I plug in stereo instrument (keyboard with L and R outputs, for example) to both L/Mono and R. If I want to maintain stereo separation (L/Mono input to L output, R input to R output), then from your explanation I need to put splitter to direct L/Mono to L only. Otherwise L/Mono goes to both L and R output, messes up the stereo separation. Is my understanding correct?

All Paths in the Helix products are stereo. As long as you use all stereo FX you have stereo separation. If you use BOTH inputs for a stereo instrument you do not need to do anything special, It's only if you DON'T use BOTH inputs that L/Mono goes to both stereo channels. IOW - when both inputs are connected, LEFT is LEFT and RIGHT is RIGHT.

• Upvote 2