Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Firmware Update

Goooner1

My cheap eBay USB-Midi cable arrived today, had a go at trying to update the DT25 firmware, was getting nowhere with it earlier, kept getting mid error. Tried rebooting the PC, the amp, putting the amp in safe mode, trying different USB ports, wouldn't have it at all.

After reading on the forums, I ordered a better cable off Amazon for around £23.

Just came back and gave it another go, don't know why, but I thought I'd give a try to swapping the midi cabled around, I plugged the cable marked in into the out on the amp and the out on the cable to the in on the amp.

Worked first time clear.png

Just thought I'd put it out there in case anyone else was having the same problem, from what I've read it's quite a common issue.

I have an old midi/usb cable lying around.  Maybe I should try this to see if it works the wrong way instead of the right way.  Such a weird thing, but makes sense at the same time.  I work in industrial instrumentation and process control, and I've always thought it was odd that we had analog input cards that actually read an output from a transmitter, and analog output cards that send a signal to an input on a valve positioner.  It's all a matter of perspective....

Yeah, when you think about it a bit more, it does kind of make sense out from the amp into the midi thing.

Just as well I decided to give it another go, or I'd have spent another $30 on a better cable and had the same problem :)

Think of it like the send/return jacks on your FX loop.  You wouldn't plug the send into the other send would you?  Its telling you what direction the data is travelling at that plug point.  Data on your cable is coming OUT of the computer and needs to go IN to the DT and vice versa... 

Knowing absolutely nothing about midi, it just seems totally illogical to me to plug the lead labeled In into the Out socket, but what do I know? :)

At least it's working.

When you have sockets on a machine, it's easy to label them with their function, IN, and OUT. But when you have a cable with midi on one end and usb on the other it's not so obvious. In this case, it's telling you what's on the other end of the cable, ie, the midi plug with OUT on it is carrying the OUT from the usb port, and would have been connected to the OUT on the computer if you were using a traditional midi cable...

By the way, I have two midi to usb cables, and one labels them this way, and the other labels them the opposite way, ie with where you are supposed to connect them to. *facepalm*

Think of it like the send/return jacks on your FX loop.  You wouldn't plug the send into the other send would you?  Its telling you what direction the data is travelling at that plug point.  Data on your cable is coming OUT of the computer and needs to go IN to the DT and vice versa... 

Yeah maybe it would have been better to label them send and returns since it's a different connector and you can't accidentally plug a midi into an effects loop, lol.

• 3 weeks later...