Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp low output when recording

ReeV0

Hi all,

I'm using my Stomp as an audio interface, to record my bass into Audacity. I also have a Motu M2 interface but can't really see any reason to keep this, as it seems the Stomp already does everything...

Anyway, for some reason the Stomp has a very low output signal into the PC - does anyone know how to make it louder? I'm playing through an active Ibanez, so the input signal is reasonably hot. I can increase the volume in post but this can add unwanted distortion.

Any help greatly appreciated!

1948087083_stompquietrecording.JPG.37b0d9cbe83e3d34ab1ee22a972cb026.JPG

I'm no expert, but from what I've read, having a lower recorded signal allows for more room in the mixdown for eq and other manipulations. 

Link to a good article:

How to set optimal recording levels in your DAW (guitarpointers.com)

Extract from the article:

DAW Recording Levels, And Leaving Headroom

Now let’s look at the signal a bit further down the signal chain. Within your daw’s interface what you are trying to achieve is to set the level at -18 db. The fact is gear such as outboard compressors, EQ analog consoles, even preamps built in your computer’s audio interface were set to sound their best at -18db. So this is the average recording level you should be trying to strive for. This will ensure you have the correct recording levels and leave ample headroom for adjustments within the mix.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-18db is what the Stomp and other L6 interfaces send, and what the recommended level in Native is.

• Upvote 2

I want to start saying I do have the stomp, and never had a real problem with recorded level...so first thing to check is you don't have way to much headroom at the preset ouput. A weak preset output is sending a signal which is too close to noise floor, which means pulling that noise from the floor as soon as you add level up in DAW. A good recording starts from a solid signal at the source.

If your preset is well balanced at the output (which means you have the right amount of headroom, far away from noise floor), you should be fine at the DAW (the rule of -18dB is valid), and with enough room for mixing without pulling noise or clipping the track.

• Upvote 1

On 10/19/2022 at 9:53 AM, ReeV0 said:

I can increase the volume in post but this can add unwanted distortion.

On 10/19/2022 at 1:54 PM, brue58ski said:

If I boost the audio enough that it appears to have a good signal, it distorts.

1. As a reference, record the dry signal from USB channels 5+6 (a.k.a. Stream 3 in MacOS Audio MIDI Setup app). That's the "natural" output level of the Stomp.
    Don't know about Windows, but on Mac, however, not all apps will let you select individual USB channels. Audacity doesn't seem to support input USB channel selection on Mac. Whereas GarageBand (and of course Logic) does.
  2. Next, approximately match your presets' main output level so that they play about the same loud as the dry signal. This processed signal comes on USB 1+2.

Like this, there will be no unwanted distortion.

In other words, the allegedly "low" output signal is there for a reason:

If I slap heavily on my bass – Ibanez SR1200 in passive mode – then the dry signal from USB 5+6 peaks at whopping -1.2 dBFS! That's quite hot! But: no distortion yet.

In other other words: Nothing is wrong with your devices.

• Upvote 1

On 10/24/2022 at 2:37 PM, ReeV0 said:

Still can't seem to figure this out, recording seems to come out at around -20dB regardless of the patch

I posted a link in my previous reply that explains it. Did you check out that link? Here it is again:

How to set optimal recording levels in your DAW (guitarpointers.com)

• Upvote 1