Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Echo Modes

friscocat

Hi,

I just acquired my nifty new Spider IV amp but I'm confused about the echo effects.  I bought the amp specifically for the echo effects and overdrive effects but I'm a little lost.  How do I enable the echo effects with the overdrive effects.  When I select anything other than the clean channel the effects automatically turn off.  Are overdrive & echo mutually exclusive?

How are the effects selected?  Do I need to place the "dot" on the knob within the range marked Sweep or Tape or Reverb to select the corresponding effect?  If so, why are these knobs infinitely adjustable?  Does one part of each effect range sound different than another part of the same effect range?  (Lower range of reverb vs upper range of reverb).

The manual says the tap button is used to change the delay but it doesn't say if pressing the tap button increases or reduces the delay.  How do I speed up/slow down the delay?

Lastly, what's a "Sweep Echo" and what's a "Tape Echo".  I'm looking for a simple delay/echo effect without any additional sounds.  I seem to hear background sounds with either choice (assuming I'm selecting the effect correctly).

Thanks for the help.

are you new to spider amps?

man,it took me a while to figure them out.

you need to use the edit button,push it and that takes you through to the parameters for adjustments.

When you have the required sound,hold on the channel you wish to place that sound patch on.hold down desired channel button and all 4 should flash then push the channel button again to complete and save the sound .hope this helps

The knobs control which effect red or green, and how much of it should be in the mix. Sweep and Tape Echos are two different types effects where sweep is more of a digital type delay, and tape is a digital emulation of an analogue effect. Tape echo can be heard on both "Blue Moon of Kentucky" by Elvis, and in the Jimmy Page violin bow solo from "A Whole Lotta Love".

Thanks for the replies.  After diddling more than I'd like I think I'm starting to figure some of it out.  First I found that if I powered up with the "insane" channel depressed it would override the preset amp effects settings (until I cycled power anyway).  The manual says the amp will do this but it doesn't say that the default amp presets include the effects settings.  So I think I understand this now.  I hope.

I think the range of each effect on the knob dials in more or less impact of each effect.  Due to the small degree range of each effect this wasn't obvious at first.  It's also very hard to dial in the proper impact.  At least it is for me.  I'm used to full range dials for echo & reverb so these short sweeps make it hard to hit just the right spot.  In time I think I'll get used to it, it's still a little elusive.

I still don't get the difference between the Tape vs Sweep echos.  I think I prefer the Tape, it doesn't have as much of the "wah" effect as the Sweep.  Or maybe it's just that I can't get it dialed in as well as I can the Tape.  I'll have to diddle some more before I reach any conclusions.

As far as the length of the delay time I'm still lost.  fflbrgst mentioned that I need to "tap" the tap button several times at the rate I want the delay to be.  Except I have no idea what "tempo" I want, I just want to speed it up or slow it down from whever it powers up.  I'm accustomed to adjusting delay with a rotory knob: lower for shorter delay, higher for longer delay.  So this tap business will take a while for me to make sense out of.  If I have to tap in a predictable rhythm I'll never get it.  I got no rhythm.

Thanks again.