Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Why was my HP Pavilion able to send audio through the USB while my MacBook is not?

sbloom90

I have been using my Pod Go with an old HP Pavilion laptop for a long time. I use it to play along with my favorite tracks. What's very convenient is that the Pod Go needs only to be connected to the HP Pavilion via USB and I can hear the computer's audio through the headphone output of the Pod Go. It is an SS(super speed) USB port on the HP Pavilion.  

Unfortunately, my old HP Pavilion is on the way out. Really a pain to boot it up, takes almost 10 minutes sometimes. So...

I recently got a MacBook with Big Sur operating system.  Got Pod Go Edit for Mac OS and got everything ready to go. When I tried to do the same thing (by plugging the Pod Go's USB > Apple USB to USB-C converter> MacBook USB-C input), I was not able to get the computer's audio to come through the Pod Go––it just comes through the computer's speakers. I can use the computer's 3.5mm audio jack to send to the Pod Go's FX return (set to AUX), however, that is not ideal because 1)it's an additional cable to plug, 2) there is a significant audio level drop, 3) I cannot use the FX loop for my additional pedals.

Here's are my question:

Why was my HP Pavilion able to send audio through the USB while my MacBook is not?

Could it be related to SS USB? Could it be related to my computers' audio hardware?

Has anyone else run into this? Funnily enough, in my short bit of research before posting, it seems that many if not most people who play their computer audio through the POD Go are using the AUX input on the Pod Go, which was never necessary for me before. It's really too bad, because I thought it was so handy to be able to send the computer's audio through the USB. It seems strange  and unfortunate that such an outdated/borderline obsolete computer can do this and a new MacBook can't...

Edited by sbloom90
Solved, I had to change in my MacBook's settings. Mods, please delete, thank you!

On 10/24/2022 at 12:52 AM, sbloom90 said:

Unfortunately, my old HP Pavilion is on the way out. Really a pain to boot it up, takes almost 10 minutes sometimes.

Before you throw it out... reformat it, reinstall windows, but don't install unneeded garbage you've collected over the past decade. 

Computers do go bad, but you'd be amazed at how much better they run when it is returned to 'factory new' status.

It is a direction issue. Reverse it. 

Worth noting, you can also change direction on your pc - if, as example, you wanted to do computer recording and needed to hear it the other way. 

Solved, I had to change in my MacBook's settings. Mods, please delete, thank you!

You can delete it yourself. But, more importantly.... 

You mentioned not being able to find the answer online. Do the world a favor by posting your solution so that others can follow your example. Your solution can be found by the next guy that has the problem. Deleting posts just ensures someone else can't see it.