Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects: Loud hum on distortion/overdrive patches...

Ludie

I've been using my HX Effects live quite a bit and love it.   The modulation and delay effects are pristine.  No noise and they just do what they are supposed to.  The distortion/overdrive patches have a huge 60 cycle hum.   I had a similar problem on the same board with my old M5, but it wasn't quite as loud.   Before I jump into the great ground loop rabbit hole, could the placement on my board be the issue?  Here's how it's set up:

Dunlop volume pedal > Vox Wah > Xotic BB+ > Vertex UltraPhonix > HX Effects > to amp

Could that chain cause the problem?

Right now, I use it a lot with a TrueTone OneSpot power supply.  I've tried reversing polarity (unplug & replug swapped 180) and it doesn't help.  I have heard, recently, an Ebtech hum eliminator will help, but have yet to try that.  I also have a PedalSnake set up to run it when I have the time to set that up.  The power supply is similar, but from another manufacturer.  I use the same power supply from my rack thru the PedalSnake.  Same issues.   Overdrive & distortion patches have hum... nothing else does.  I have not modified the output volumes, so they are as when it came out of the box.  

Thanks in advance.

Just had some time to set things up and play with the rig.  Ran the above routing into my Dr. Z MAZ-38 2X10.  The amp makes no difference.  I have a Blues Jr. and a Line 6 AX2 (Matchless patch) and they both do the same thing.

I get a slight noise when no effects are active that throbs in time with the tap tempo light.  Still have a lot of noise/hum on the overdrive/distortion patches.  I reversed the polarity of the power supply; no change.  I have an Ebtec Hum Eliminator and put that between the pedal board and the amp; no change.  So, I am beginning to think it has to be the way I have the signal path routed.

Dunlop volume pedal > Vox Wah > Xotic BB+ > Vertex UltraPhonix > HX Effects > to amp

I'm old and new to this thing, so I'm sure there is some magic in there I haven't figured out yet.  If the placement in the path above is causing this, then where should I put it?  1st in the path?  Will do some more playing an report back if I figure it out.  Thanx in advance for any ideas.

Edited by Ludie
Add clarity about amps used.

• 2 months later...

I must be a stupid old man...   no one has replied..  

I had a thought...  I'm using a One Spot power supply to power the pedal board the HX Effects is on.   I hated the power supply that came with the HX Effects.  Who came up with that design?   I am going to test using the original and see if the problem goes away.   If that doesn't work, I will attempt to add a static noise gate on each distortion/overdrive patch.  Hopefully this stupid old man isn't the only one that is having this problem.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, my HX Effects is allergic to my Godlyke PowerAll.   I got out the funky power supply that came with the unit and it was extremely quiet.   Not sure why, but that was the issue.  Not sure why the power supply was created as it was.  It doesn't fit in any rack or power strip easily.  

To "fix" the issue, I carry the funky power supply as a backup and have included a Decimater noise suppressor.  It does a great job.  Onward and upward.

Hey Ludie, 

You're correct in assuming the ground noise to be an issue. Daisy Chains like the One Spot or Powerall, while convenient, still create alot of noise in your signal chain (lots of variables become factors for noise). IF you were to pick up an Isolated power supply you might find your noise woes cured. If you grab one try to make sure it has at least 2 channels of 9v 500mA. You can purchase a current doubler to run the HX from your new power supply vs having to take a noise suppressor and the odd shaped power supply (mine stays in the box.

Also your HX unit should also have a noise gate on the input which you can fine tune to eliminate most noise in your signal, although fixing that before the noise gate is ideal.

Thank you.  Kind of what I thought, but wasn't sure.   My M5 had a bit of noise, but not as bad as the HX Effects.  However, the Decimator has solved quite a bit of the problem.   I had thought about having a noise gate block on all patches that isn't controlled by a footswitch or controller, but I couldn't figure it out.  I love the effects, but I could have gotten an M9 and done what I needed.   The big deal, for me, was the editor.   Live and learn.  Thanx again!