Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Stomp- No Sound

MarkWatkins

On 10/25/2022 at 8:35 PM, MarkWatkins said:

Shouldn't I be able to hear the guitar through my desktop PC speakers?

In Audio-MIDI-Setup app you select the Stomp as your input and Built-in as your output.

Then you need an app on your Mac that can activate the "play thru" mode to the selected output device. E.g. GarageBand or several audio editors like Amadeus Pro can do it.

Note that you may experience latency. In that sense, it's a much better idea to plug a pair of active speakers directly to the Stomp for monitoring.

• Upvote 1

On 10/25/2022 at 7:35 PM, MarkWatkins said:

Hello,

I have my Helix Stomp plugged into my Apple Macbook via USB but on playing the guitar, there's no sound. Shouldn't I be able to hear the guitar through my desktop PC speakers?

Thank you.

Hi,

I would suggest that your read the section on using USB Audio with your Stomp and MBP, which can be found on page 55 of the current Owner’s Manual for your HXS.

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a418962611d636e7c51b/application/pdf/HX Stomp 3.0 Owner's Manual - Rev D - English .pdf

It is USB Class Compliant on the Mac and should just simply show up as an Audio interface - check your Audio MIDI utility app.

You should be able to select the HX as the audio in device, then from under the Sound Icon in the top right of the menu bar, you should select the Mac speakers as playback. Note: using the Mac speakers is not really recommended for your guitar thrash sessions - better invest in some dedicate studio monitors to connect directly to the Stomp. Then you have some serious fun by recording your guitar in GarageBand.

Hope this help/makes sense.

Thanks for your help, everyone. Sounds as if speakers/monitors would be best. Sorry to be a nuisance, but what kind of speakers do I need? What are active speakers?Can anyone advise me on what I'm looking for? Any help on how to connect speakers to the Stomp would be great, although I guess they'd plug into the Atomp's L & R Output. 

Thanks again.

A pair of active (powered) studio monitors would be ideal. They're available at various price points and physical size ranges. If you'll be using them while seated at your desk, a pair of 3" or 5" are likely to suit your needs. Otherwise, consider 6", 7" or 8" options. Ik Multimedia, JBL, Kali, and many others offer products over this range. Best to try before you buy, if you can. Otherwise, consider a vendor with a satisfaction guarantee. 

On 10/26/2022 at 7:10 PM, MarkWatkins said:

Any help on how to connect speakers to the Stomp would be great, although I guess they'd plug into the Atomp's L & R Output. 

Once again that information is provided, along with an illustration of the jack sockets on page 55 of the current Owner’s Manual for your HXS.

Regarding active (powered) monitors for someone just starting out, the post from “MusicLaw” above covers the basic “need to know” stuff. Check out his recommendations.

On a tight budget? I would also give a mention to a pair of PreSonus ERIS E5-XT 5.25" 2-Way Active Studio Monitor, w/ EBM Waveguide as worth a look, as they have balanced 1/4” TRS inputs that match the HX Stomp outputs.

https://www.presonus.com/products/Eris-E5-XT

Ultimately, this is something only you can decide.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Edited by datacommando
Added link