Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Sensitive.

titchyblackcat

Hi,

I'm playing a patch on my Helix LT that was copied from my HD Pod.

The noise of me sliding my finger on the fret board for example is very noisy.

Even if I slightly knock the guitar its the same.

On the HD Pod i can do the same and it's noticable how quiet it is.

Any help please to quieten the Helix sensitivity.

On 10/27/2022 at 7:53 AM, titchyblackcat said:

Hi,

I'm playing a patch on my Helix LT that was copied from my HD Pod.

The noise of me sliding my finger on the fret board for example is very noisy.

Even if I slightly knock the guitar its the same.

On the HD Pod i can do the same and it's noticable how quiet it is.

check if the input signal is the same on both Helix and HD.  Most likely on the HD you have some kind of an input pad, but on the Helix the signal is hotter and the finger noise gets amplified.  Check the same for output as well. 

I'm assuming you did not change the global eq... otherwise that could also be causing this discrepancy. 

On 10/27/2022 at 12:53 PM, titchyblackcat said:

Hi,

There could be many reasons for this happening, but without knowing more, we would be grabbing ideas from thin air. A simple way to quieten the Helix is to turn on the noise gate on the input. You see what I mean - that’s clutching at straws.

It would be a great help to know what exactly are the effects, amp, cab etc.,that you have in to original HD POD preset, and what you used to “replicate” that preset in the Helix. Clutching at straws once more - is there a compressor involved somewhere in the signal path?

Hope this helps/makes sense.

If you are referring to the sound of the fingers, sliding on strings, that's potentially happening with a wide range of variables....so comparing the two devices, wont help you breaking down the issue.

Usually it's a countereffect of hi gain settings, especially with bright amps/cabs, but it can be exacerbated by compressors, strings, pickup height, playing style etc etc.

Also, it can be expected when using the acoustic sim, similar to what you get with piezo saddles.

We need more info. :)

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the replies I'll get back tomorrow. I didn't list any amps/cabs etc so as not to confuse the problem.

As i said everything is exactly the same on the Helix as the Pod HD. I spent a bit of time copying the setting.

The guitar and audio interface are exactly the same. It's just the sensitivity

Make sure your levels aren't too high in your signal chain on the LT. The fact that you say "Even if I slightly knock the guitar..." it is creating noise, barring a pickup/cable issue, might mean the preset is too hot, or that the monitor is receiving too high an input level. What are you using to monitor with? Reducing the output level to your monitor might help, but that's not a real solution if the finger noise is due to an issue in the preset. Try engaging the input pad as @theElevators alluded to.

Certain amp/cab/effect/guitar combinations and/or parameter settings in a preset do seem to be more prone to generating finger noise.  If adjusting parameters doesn't do it, the easiest fix can sometimes be selecting a different amp/cab/mic or effect, if you can't easily diminish the noise. The other thing I usually reach for is EQ. Use a parametric to home in on the noise, possibly in combination with one of the other EQ blocks. Try the PEQ in a couple of different spots. For example, you might have an overdrive or amp that is emphasizing frequencies that include finger noise. Placing a PEQ or GEQ block in front of it might be more helpful than after.

Also, a LPF (high cut) after the cab might be helpful. Start it at 5k and move it up/down to see if it helps. Essentially the same suggestion you might get for fizz. If nothing else, moving the LPF around can assist you in determining what general frequency range the majority of the finger noise is in.

Just trying again this morning. im recording on a pc so, the helix output goes to a Native instruments KA6 Audio interface

The guitar is a les paul traditional the blocks are tube drive and devided duo.

input is guitar in with a noise gate and the output is 1/4 jack.

All Settings Are The Same.

On 10/27/2022 at 10:49 AM, titchyblackcat said:

As i said everything is exactly the same on the Helix as the Pod HD.

On 10/28/2022 at 4:30 AM, titchyblackcat said:

All Settings Are The Same.

That is your problem.... the HD and the Helix are NOT the same so you cannot set them the same to expect the same results.  Do yourself a favor, and learn how to dial in tones on the Helix.... only use your old settings as a general guide, nothing more. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2