Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Command Center Issue

jeremystern

Hi! I have set up a preset with Command Center and when I go to select the snapshot or stomp box every footswitch changes to SNAPSHOT^. I have other presets using command center working perfectly and thought I set this up the same way but I guess I didn't. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

On 10/27/2022 at 7:24 PM, rd2rk said:

Is that some kind of Apple thing?

Nope - not exactly - it’s an incorrectly uploaded screenshot. It is maybe something to do with the server and the picture not being named with the correct image file extension - .jpg .png or whatever. It is probably now converted to a text file and I think there is a Window app that can read them - not that it would help as it should be an image. Doh!

Just a guess, as it seems to happen quite a bit on here.

On 10/27/2022 at 2:24 PM, rd2rk said:

The file you attached is a .php file. Is that some kind of Apple thing? My Windows PC doesn't have a default app to open those.

Sorry about that. It is a video I shot on my iPhone and then converted to an MP4. All it really shows is that the Command Center setup is a snapshot or stomp on each footswitch and then as soon as I select something the strip switches to "SNAPSHOT^" and then when I click on the switch again it goes back to the snapshot. I think the issue has something to do with the ability to scroll through when stepping on the switch multiple times but I never set that up. Anyway, I hope this makes sense and I'll try to fix the video so I can upload it again. Thanks.

In Global Settings>Footswitches, how are these four settings configured:

Preset Mode Switches

Stomp Mode Switches

Snapshot Mode Switches 

Up/Down Switches

It would also be helpful if you attached an example preset.

On 10/27/2022 at 5:33 PM, rd2rk said:

In Global Settings>Footswitches, how are these four settings configured:

Preset Mode Switches

Stomp Mode Switches

Snapshot Mode Switches 

Up/Down Switches

It would also be helpful if you attached an example preset.

Thanks @rd2rk. The Preset Mode switches are set to 8 snapshots, Stomp Mode to 10 switches, Snapshot to Auto Return, and Up/Down to Banks. I have attached the preset here as you suggested as well as a pic of my global settings. Thanks so much for your help.

IMG_0019.jpeg

Rockerverb.hlx

You need to assign the button on every snapshot.  It was a new feature in 3.15.

Basically every snapshot could potentially have a different layout with what you see button wise.  But if you want consistency throughout the whole preset the easiest is to follow these instructions:

1) create your 'button layout' on snapshot 1

2) then right click one of the buttons and choose 'Copy All"

3) Right click again and choose 'Clear All'.  This will then return you to regular HX Edit screen after confirming you want to clear all assignments

4) go back into command center, right click again and choose 'Paste All'.  This will then paste your Snapshot 1 layout, to all 8 snapshots.  

Otherwise what is happening is that you are on Snapshot 1 (button 1), you push button 2 to go to Snapshot 2.  However, on Snapshot 2, you could potentially reassign button 1 to NOT be Snapshot 1, it could now be a stomp button to bypass your delay, or even be a different snapshot.  Super powerful if you have a need for it, but confusing if you dont know thats an ability.

On 10/28/2022 at 10:21 AM, themetallikid said:

You need to assign the button on every snapshot.  It was a new feature in 3.15.

Basically every snapshot could potentially have a different layout with what you see button wise.  But if you want consistency throughout the whole preset the easiest is to follow these instructions:

1) create your 'button layout' on snapshot 1

2) then right click one of the buttons and choose 'Copy All"

3) Right click again and choose 'Clear All'.  This will then return you to regular HX Edit screen after confirming you want to clear all assignments

4) go back into command center, right click again and choose 'Paste All'.  This will then paste your Snapshot 1 layout, to all 8 snapshots.  

Otherwise what is happening is that you are on Snapshot 1 (button 1), you push button 2 to go to Snapshot 2.  However, on Snapshot 2, you could potentially reassign button 1 to NOT be Snapshot 1, it could now be a stomp button to bypass your delay, or even be a different snapshot.  Super powerful if you have a need for it, but confusing if you dont know thats an ability.

Thanks @themetallikid. Sorry to be so thick but I don't understand what you mean by assigning buttons. On your list of steps I am completely lost by the 'button layout' and then the following steps. Would you mind explaining it in simpler terms, please?  Thanks!

If you push your 'mode' button (above tap tempo) you can change into Stomp Mode or you scan stay in whatever mode you like.  

HOWEVER,

When your in command center, you can assign those buttons to be anything you would like.  Snaps, stomps, presets...whatever.  In your case you are using snapshots in a single preset.  So every snapshot (8 total) can have its own button layout.  So if you look at the drop down above the image of the helix it says snapshot 1.  So all the changes you make are only visible when snapshot 1 is being used.  If you change that to snapshot 2, you need to assign everything you would want to see in snapshot 2.  Super power, but also super confusing.  

If you are like me and only use the same layout for the whole song, then follow my steps above.  You assign the buttons all on snapshot 1, but then copy/paste to apply to all snapshots.  Otherwise if your on snapshot 1, and choose snapshot 2, you lose all your assignments, until you return to snapshot 1 again.

On 10/31/2022 at 5:11 PM, themetallikid said:

If you push your 'mode' button (above tap tempo) you can change into Stomp Mode or you scan stay in whatever mode you like.  

HOWEVER,

When your in command center, you can assign those buttons to be anything you would like.  Snaps, stomps, presets...whatever.  In your case you are using snapshots in a single preset.  So every snapshot (8 total) can have its own button layout.  So if you look at the drop down above the image of the helix it says snapshot 1.  So all the changes you make are only visible when snapshot 1 is being used.  If you change that to snapshot 2, you need to assign everything you would want to see in snapshot 2.  Super power, but also super confusing.  

If you are like me and only use the same layout for the whole song, then follow my steps above.  You assign the buttons all on snapshot 1, but then copy/paste to apply to all snapshots.  Otherwise if your on snapshot 1, and choose snapshot 2, you lose all your assignments, until you return to snapshot 1 again.

@themetallikid thanks so much for taking the time to clarify. Much appreciated. I think I got it now and I'll give that a try.

Its a greatly flexible feature and really allows you to be insanely creative.  

For example If you create presets utilizing both paths fully... (and can deal with the slight audio gap in preset switching), however you can't fit enough stuff into a preset to really take advantage of snapshot changes.  You could potentially create an amazing network of presets. For example, if I had 5 core tones and then had 5 lead tones for 10 total.   You could setup the bottom row to be presets 1-5 and the top row to be presets 6-10 (6 is the lead version of 1, 7 lead version of 2 and so on).   So essentially you have the rhythm sounds on the bottom and lead sounds on the top.  As long as you save each preset on the same snapshot...   you could link to the other presets for a pedalboard sort of layout. 

So on preset 1, you would have presets 2-10 available to choose from.  On preset 2, you would then have to make sure you setup preset 1 as well as 3-10.  Follow that process to all 10 presets.  

To simplify that setup, you could assign a certain button to be a 'lead boost' for all of your presets.  So on your 5 Core preset tones, you would have your lead boost (for me, this means turning on OD/Delay/Gain Block Boost (or Output Block adjustment)) attached to a specific button, I like button 7, its on the corner and easy to reach.  So every preset would use Button 7 as a lead boost.  When I'm mapping out my button layout, I leave Button 7 as a 'Stomp' setup labeled "Lead Boost" and Then link the presets on the other buttons.  

So much flexibility.  You can really do anything you want.  

On 11/1/2022 at 1:34 PM, themetallikid said:

Its a greatly flexible feature and really allows you to be insanely creative.  

For example If you create presets utilizing both paths fully... (and can deal with the slight audio gap in preset switching), however you can't fit enough stuff into a preset to really take advantage of snapshot changes.  You could potentially create an amazing network of presets. For example, if I had 5 core tones and then had 5 lead tones for 10 total.   You could setup the bottom row to be presets 1-5 and the top row to be presets 6-10 (6 is the lead version of 1, 7 lead version of 2 and so on).   So essentially you have the rhythm sounds on the bottom and lead sounds on the top.  As long as you save each preset on the same snapshot...   you could link to the other presets for a pedalboard sort of layout. 

So on preset 1, you would have presets 2-10 available to choose from.  On preset 2, you would then have to make sure you setup preset 1 as well as 3-10.  Follow that process to all 10 presets.  

To simplify that setup, you could assign a certain button to be a 'lead boost' for all of your presets.  So on your 5 Core preset tones, you would have your lead boost (for me, this means turning on OD/Delay/Gain Block Boost (or Output Block adjustment)) attached to a specific button, I like button 7, its on the corner and easy to reach.  So every preset would use Button 7 as a lead boost.  When I'm mapping out my button layout, I leave Button 7 as a 'Stomp' setup labeled "Lead Boost" and Then link the presets on the other buttons.  

So much flexibility.  You can really do anything you want.  

That's actually incredible. I love that idea and having the boost available to every preset - great idea and thanks so much for sharing!

On 11/2/2022 at 9:34 AM, jeremystern said:

That's actually incredible. I love that idea and having the boost available to every preset - great idea and thanks so much for sharing!

Welcome, I will note that the boost is not global...however, you can make it global in a way by programming it that way in each preset, but then tailor the boost accordingly setting wise to that presets sound.  Obviously boosting a high gain sound would be different than a slight breakup.