Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hearing voice through mic input while tuning guitar

BOLDRON

Hello everyone :)

I am very happy with my Helix for now, but I am still facing a problem. Here it is.

My SM58 MIC for my voice is connected into the mic input of the Helix. Then, my vocal chain gets out through the XLR output (mono) to the PA.

My VARIAX guitar is plugged into the Variax input of the Helix. Then, my guitar chain gets out through the 1/4" output (mono) directly to the PA as well.

When I am using the tuner, I would like my guitar to be silent but my voice to be still audible (to keep talking to the audience).

I have tried all the possible combinations with the settings appearing in the tuner menu, but none of them fits my goal.

Do you have any idea to fix that problem please ?

Thank you in advance for your help and have a good day :)

Guillaume

Well the obvious approach is what most of us do which is have our mics going directly to the mixer so it's not affected by the tuner.  But I assume you're using Helix facilities on your voice so that's not possible.  If so then your easiest way is to just use a clipon tuner for when you're live on stage because there's no workaround for the Helix tuner as it bypasses the signal chain when it's on.

@BOLDRONYou certainly have an understandable scenario of wanting your Helix routed Mic to remain open whilst your Variax is Muted during Tuning.

I am not at my Helix Floor at the moment to look at the Tuner Parameter options or if there are any pertinent Global Settings; nor do I have a Variax. Nonetheless,  glancing at the Helix Floor User Guide 3.0 PDF page 44, see if the Tuner Input Parameters (Knob 1) offers a "Variax" option (rather than "Multi"). If so, give that a try. Also, set Tuner Output Parameter (Knob 2) to "Mute".

Poste back if this works.

Should that not do it, head over to www.line6.Ideascale.com and submit your feature request so it may be voted up for Line 6 to consider including it in a future update.

[Note: When I submitted this reply earlier today, I was apparently not logged in; as such it did not post at that time.] 

Thank you for your answers.

However, as I said in my first post, I have tried all the features in the tuner settings I know how to read a User Guide ;)

Moreover, my voice is processed by the Helix with FX, so I cannot plug my mic directly into the PA.

I am searching for alternative ways to route the tuner, if possible. If not, I will submit a request to Line6 to add this feature later.

You could try setting the Tuner Out parameter to something other than Mute - a setting that allows your XLR (vocal) output to be active. I know you’ve already explored all these options so I assume there’s no Tuner Out setting that enables XLR but mutes 1/4”.

But perhaps the signal processing keeps the vocal and guitar paths separate while the Tuner is engaged, and continues to route the paths independently to their respective outputs. I don’t know and am not at my device to check. If so the challenge is to inhibit the guitar signal from reaching the Output block with any volume. There are probably many ways to do this but the simplest might be a Vol block controlled by an expression pedal at the end of the guitar signal processing path. You’d have to use the pedal actively while using the Tuner to set the Vol level to 0. Since the Tuner taps the signal at the Input block it should still work, but the signal will be silent at the 1/4” Output. A pain to manage, I know, but it might work.

• Upvote 1

On 10/29/2022 at 1:57 PM, BOLDRON said:

Thank you for your answers.

However, as I said in my first post, I have tried all the features in the tuner settings I know how to read a User Guide ;)

Moreover, my voice is processed by the Helix with FX, so I cannot plug my mic directly into the PA.

I am searching for alternative ways to route the tuner, if possible. If not, I will submit a request to Line6 to add this feature later.

By no means was I intending to be condescending. Moreover, I later got hands on my Helix Floor and discovered that the User Guide does not explicitly list the actual Tuner Input Parameters available on the Helix Floor, as the device itself does provide a Variax Tuner Input parameter selection. 

Nonetheless, I certainly respect your preference for following the path of least resistance. Should you wish nonetheless opt to post an IdeaScale feature suggestion from your user case, I would certainly vote it up and encourage others to do so as well.