Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

3.5 is here!!. That's right. It's not 3.2 it's 3.5

brue58ski

I used to run computers for a hospital when Windows 3.11 was the deal.  I had already tested windows 95 beta so much I rolled it out to all of our computers way before it was even out.  3.11 networking was that bad.   I have always lived on the bleeding edge.   Congrats to the Helix team for another exciting update.

Mama always told me not to look into the eye's of the sun
But mama, that's where the fun is .... Manfred Mann
  • Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 1:52 PM, hideout said:

I love the moveable mics idea.  I asked about this before and the idea was summarily dismissed by Digital Igloo.

I'm happy he was overruled.

Probably just heard it enough that he finally decided it was a good idea. 

Persuasion can work. It just often takes a while. 

• Upvote 1

Prior to 3.50, when assigning a parameter to a physical control (EXP 1, footswitch, etc.) or MIDI, Snapshots are also always assigned. In 3.50, they still are, but there's an additional "Snapshot Control" parameter on the Controller Assign page that lets you bypass this behavior.

Wow, that's a big one for me, actually the biggest thing in this update. And I just sold my Floor... ah well, it will come in handy with the Stomp, too.

• Like 1

FYI -

My attempted conversion to 3.50 failed on a Helix floor.

First I updated HX Edit.

Then I started the Helix update.

About 10 minutes in, HX Edit stopped recognizing the Helix and then stopped showing the update dialogue.

I tried three different USB cords, to no avail.

I also attempted the recommended factory reset (resetting while holding buttons 9 and 10 down.)

Still, HX Edit won't recognize the Helix, and the error "Boot failure. Entered Update Model" remains.

I filed a support ticket.

On 11/3/2022 at 10:10 PM, HonestOpinion said:

And because MMEB did that song so incredibly well they get the mention, but ultimately Bruce Springsteen, writer of those lyrics, gets the credit.

Yes that's true but I grew up listening to MMEB not Bruce Springsteen, I'm trying to think when I first heard Springsteen but it was a long time after my first ever gig!

Manfred Mann's Earth Band St Georges Hall Bradford 28_09_1976-large.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/3/2022 at 10:20 PM, CraigGT said:

Yes that's true but I grew up listening to MMEB not Bruce Springsteen, I'm trying to think when I first heard Springsteen but it was a long time after my first ever gig!

Ye gods!

You must have missed the 1974 huge poster campaign declaring “Bruce Springsteen - the future of Rock ‘n’ Roll”. Good grief there was even one of those massive posters in Cleckheaton! How did you not see one of those billboards, they must have spent a fortune on promo for that guy. 

Loose Windscreens tune “Blinded by the Light” was on the MMEB Roaring Silence album in ‘77, they may have played it at the George’s Hall in Sept 76. So you might have been listening to Brucie without realising! Shock, horror!

;-)

• Haha 1

On 11/3/2022 at 10:35 PM, datacommando said:

Ye gods!

You must have missed the 1974 huge poster campaign declaring “Bruce Springsteen - the future of Rock ‘n’ Roll”. Good grief there was even one of those massive posters in Cleckheaton! How did you not see one of those billboards, they must have spent a fortune on promo for that guy. 

Loose Windscreens tune “Blinded by the Light” was on the MMEB Roaring Silence album in ‘77, they may have played it at the George’s Hall in Sept 76. So you might have been listening to Brucie without realising! Shock, horror!

;-)

Cleckheaton was a whole different world to Tingley, we had to catch the bus to Bradford for the gig and missed the encore so we could catch the last bus home!

The Roaring Silence came out before the gig and was the reason we went but you're right about Bruce and Dylan and all the others that MMEB covered.

On 11/3/2022 at 11:00 PM, CraigGT said:

Cleckheaton was a whole different world to Tingley, we had to catch the bus to Bradford for the gig and missed the encore so we could catch the last bus home!

The Roaring Silence came out before the gig and was the reason we went but you're right about Bruce and Dylan and all the others that MMEB covered.

S’truth, Tingley!

Do they still prop up their dead at the bus stop there?

Yep, Cleckheaton - I used to go there to get drunk with Alan Holdsworth in the back room of the Royal.

https://www.zanywoodruff.com

I remember seeing Hawkwind (when Lemmy was still with them), and also Led Zep at St. George’s back in Jan ‘73 - your ticket was a quid, IIRC Zep was 75p. He, he,he!

;-)

• Upvote 1

I was doing my update to my Helix Rack, and when it got to the "Boot Failure" part, my HX Edit went blank and now says "No Device Connected".

I never got the:

• HX Edit will display a message indicating the device must be reset. Click resume and wait for the second part of the update to complete.

Any ideas what to do? 

On 11/3/2022 at 7:57 PM, datacommando said:

S’truth, Tingley!

Do they still prop up their dead at the bus stop there?

Yep, Cleckheaton - I used to go there to get drunk with Alan Holdsworth in the back room of the Royal.

https://www.zanywoodruff.com

I remember seeing Hawkwind (when Lemmy was still with them), and also Led Zep at St. George’s back in Jan ‘73 - your ticket was a quid, IIRC Zep was 75p. He, he,he!

;-)

Freakin' love Hawkwind, saw them here in the States, years ago!  Never understood why they (and Budgie for that matter) never got more traction here.  Lemmy probably had more success here with Motorhead.

• Like 1

I'm seeing that some FACTORY 1 presets were completely converted to the new cabs, some use a mix of legacy and new cabs and some still use only legacy cabs. Is this what everyone else is seeing and is this supposed to be this way? Thanks!

On 11/3/2022 at 8:11 PM, OpenTomb941 said:

I was doing my update to my Helix Rack, and when it got to the "Boot Failure" part, my HX Edit went blank and now says "No Device Connected".

I never got the:

• HX Edit will display a message indicating the device must be reset. Click resume and wait for the second part of the update to complete.

Any ideas what to do? 

Same here for my Floor unit.  damn.  i'll keep on eye on this thread.  meanwhile, back to trying a recovery

On 11/3/2022 at 6:14 PM, ThreeDprof said:

Same here for my Floor unit.  damn.  i'll keep on eye on this thread.  meanwhile, back to trying a recovery

My first attempt to update failed at the very beginning the same way. I had Line 6 FBV Shortboard connected to the computer as well. Disconnected that, power-cycled Helix, restarted the update and it went through all the way.

On 11/4/2022 at 12:24 AM, HonestOpinion said:

Freakin' love Hawkwind, saw them here in the States, years ago!  Never understood why they (and Budgie for that matter) never got more traction here.  Lemmy probably had more success here with Motorhead.

Ha ha ha, yeah Hawkwind - still going strong, recording and gigging!  What a crew. First time I encountered them when I was an art college drop out back in ‘69, they were playing free gigs under a motorway flyover in Ladbroke Grove in London - loved them ever since.

Lemmy was a force of nature, what a guy! I had a near death experience with him one night when Hawkwind were playing a local university. I went Into the student bar where Lemmy was in the middle of a game of pool. As I went past him on the way to the bar I asked, “How ya doing Ian?” Whoa! Bad move, never call him by his real name - thought he was gonna crack my skull open with a pool cue. Luckily I managed to subdue him with several shots of pre gig Jack! He said the lesson that Jimi Hendrix taught him was to give up on being a guitar player because Jimi told him he was never going to be that good, so he took up bass and never looked back. What a result - Motörhead welded punk and heavy metal into one huge monster!

Oh, Budgie - sadly overlooked Welsh power trio - booked them for a couple of art school events back in the day. Jeez, even Metallica covered Breadfan.

Ah! Those memories.

• Like 2

On 11/4/2022 at 1:06 AM, pomor said:

I'm seeing that some FACTORY 1 presets were completely converted to the new cabs, some use a mix of legacy and new cabs and some still use only legacy cabs. Is this what everyone else is seeing and is this supposed to be this way? Thanks!

From the Release Notes:

1. OPTIONAL: Performing a factory reset loads the new 3.50 Factory Presets, but restoring from your backup will overwrite these. Spend some time exploring these and export the factory presets you want to keep (or drag them to your desktop). If you have unused setlists in Helix Floor/Rack/LT, you can also export the entire FACTORY 1 bundle for loading into an unused setlist later.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Thanks 1

On 11/3/2022 at 9:20 PM, pomor said:

My first attempt to update failed at the very beginning the same way. I had Line 6 FBV Shortboard connected to the computer as well. Disconnected that, power-cycled Helix, restarted the update and it went through all the way.

thanks for the help, Pomor.  I tried disconnecting everything else and still nothing.  the issue i have is HX Edit won't connect to the Floor to resume the install

On 11/4/2022 at 1:31 AM, ThreeDprof said:

thanks for the help, Pomor.  I tried disconnecting everything else and still nothing.  the issue i have is HX Edit won't connect to the Floor to resume the install

This is becoming tedious - once again from the top!

Copy and paste from previous posts!

This is well documented and a standard procedure when trying to recover from a failed installation. You cannot reconnect via USB to launch the Line 6 Updater app if HX Edit is still running in the background. See bullet 4 below.

From the Line 6 Updating Helix/HX Notes:

Updating Helix/HX

IMPORTANT! Carefully read and follow the update instructions below. If you don't—and then run to the forums asking why it's not working—the interwebs will make fun of you.

IMPORTANT! In the unlikely event that your update fails, please follow the steps below:

1. Unplug the USB cable from both the back of your Helix and the computer.
  2. Turn your Helix/HX device off and on.
  3. Reconnect the USB cable to your Helix/HX device and the computer.
  4. Download, install, and launch the latest version of Line 6 Updater. In a failure state, the device will not connect to HX Edit.
  5. Select your device and try updating to the latest firmware again.
    • If the device does not show up in Line 6 Updater after these steps, try a different USB cable and/or USB port.
    • If it still doesn't show up, try a different computer.

• Haha 1

@ThreeDprof Ideally you would have waited and then clicked "Resume" when it became available to click.  The upgrade instructions explain this. It was however an uncomfortably long wait with device reading "Boot Failure....." But I waited it out and clicked "Resume" when it came available....and it resumed.

From what I've seen in forum posts, this part of the update trips a lot of people up. Most folks overcome it by downloading the L6 updater and installing that way. Probably best to reboot your computer before proceeding with the updater.

EDIT: datacommando beat me to it, and with much better instructions!

On 11/3/2022 at 6:30 PM, datacommando said:

From the Release Notes:

1. OPTIONAL: Performing a factory reset loads the new 3.50 Factory Presets, but restoring from your backup will overwrite these. Spend some time exploring these and export the factory presets you want to keep (or drag them to your desktop). If you have unused setlists in Helix Floor/Rack/LT, you can also export the entire FACTORY 1 bundle for loading into an unused setlist later.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Thanks, I did the factory reset (so I'm seeing the new presets indeed), and I deliberately did not restore FACTORY 1 setlist from the backup in order to keep all the new presets. Take for example 12A "Justice Fo Y'all". The cab on the path A is the new dual 4x12 Cali V30 / 4x12 Uber V30. But the cab on the path B is the legacy single 4x12 1960 T75. Can you (or someone else) please check yours to see if your preset shows the same? Thanks! 

Update: Helix Native 3.50 behaves the same way.

Update 2: It is understood that not all legacy cab models were reimplemented for the new cab engine, so presets using those remaining legacy cabs can be expected to continue using the legacy models. But it looks like in some presets (12A for example, again) there are still legacy cabs that do have new, reimplemented counterparts, like 4x12 1960 T75. What might be the reason?

Edited by pomor

Just installed the update, the new cabs are a game changer. I can't explain how much better these sound than the old system, for a long time I've only used my own IR's but these cabs sound good enough to use. Not tried anything other than the cabs yet, but this is pretty exciting.

On 11/3/2022 at 5:48 PM, hoospie said:

FYI -

My attempted conversion to 3.50 failed on a Helix floor.

First I updated HX Edit.

Then I started the Helix update.

About 10 minutes in, HX Edit stopped recognizing the Helix and then stopped showing the update dialogue.

I tried three different USB cords, to no avail.

I also attempted the recommended factory reset (resetting while holding buttons 9 and 10 down.)

Still, HX Edit won't recognize the Helix, and the error "Boot failure. Entered Update Model" remains.

I filed a support ticket.

Download the latest updater from line6. Install that and then run it. It will find the broken helix and fix it. Worked for me

Cabs sound great. In particular through headphones, panning one left and one right and introducing a small delay sounds huge (I’d been doing this with parallel paths and a delay block but it’s now super simple!). 

Couple of issues:

1) My backup won’t restore to the device. It said something about system offline so hopefully it was an internet thing that will fix itself if the server gets less overloaded. I’ll try again later. 

2) I can’t assign EXP to the cab mic placement. I was hoping to use that to sweep across and test the effect. Is this a bug or intentional? 

If I can get my presets back I’ll be v happy with this update.