Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

3.5 is here!!. That's right. It's not 3.2 it's 3.5

brue58ski

Personally went smooth as silk, probably an off hour helped. I am SO SO ECSTATIC with the release. Sounds fabulous. Might not even need added IRs now! Keep up great work Line6!

Note: did have bug saving a preset that was Default one from Factory 1 modified to User Area 5 1B, kept reverting later to New Preset rather than name

What can I add that hasn't been mentioned already. Helix team and their software is the gift that keeps on giving. Superb update and reduced CPU strain achieved in many cases. These updates are silly good.  Thank you all for your great work!

Just did a round with the new cab system and I really like it.  The ability to do dual cabs on my little stomp xl is sweet.   2 cabs, 2 mics, independent position, level and delay control all in 1 block.  Wow.  Very Very useful.  Thanks team !!!!   I'll be in my room.

austin-powers-yeah-baby-yeah.jpg.d4cb4688c605234b3061b4a190d6a89c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@datacommando - You seem worked up, but I only see two post from you here... Sorry you feel it's tedious, maybe step away and let others handle it if it's too much.

To share some perspective - There is NO official forum thread for 3.5 update, no instructions shared here (in the forum). While going through HX Edit update process there is just simple instructions (that worked fine for me).   So with nothing sticky-posted on this helix forum except 3.0 and 3.15 threads that are outdated and this being the only thread related to 3.5.  It's understandable people could be confused trying to locate information, especially if the update fails or hangs. 

I fired up HX Edit this morning and was greeted with a pop up saying I have an update... I followed the steps as I should based on the way Line6 intended and rolled this out.  If there is an issue happening it's because it is presented as a simple update to the users.

If we have a moderator on this forum it sure would be nice to post some information and make a sticky about 3.50, it's a huge update!!!  and to please un-sticky all those junk outdated threads no one reads.

PS - the HX Edit update method went fine as far as I can tell - will play around this weekend some.  I'm excited for the update and appreciate all the developers time they continue putting into maintaining the Helix and improving it each year.  I definitely feel this ongoing support makes it so much more valuable to us owners.  Thanks!

I’ve just tried doing the update to the Helix LT as well.. followed the instructions, read the update notes, but it didn’t go to the screen that is shown in the release notes and now the HX Edit won’t connect and the LT just says that Boot Failure thing. Glad to know I’m not the only one this has happened to. Anxious to see what to do about it though 

On 11/4/2022 at 6:37 PM, kringle said:

@datacommando - You seem worked up, but I only see two post from you here... Sorry you feel it's tedious, maybe step away and let others handle it if it's too much.

@datacommando and many others have the patience of saints answering the same failed update questions time and time again while others just don't bother answering them anymore.

All the instructions are displayed in HXEdit and if for some reason the update fails, the recovery instructions are easily found in this forum without starting a new thread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/3/2022 at 12:52 PM, hideout said:

I love the moveable mics idea.  I asked about this before and the idea was summarily dismissed by Digital Igloo.

I'm happy he was eventually overruled.

I summarily dismissed it? Were we talking about hardware GUI or something?

On 11/4/2022 at 3:27 PM, emersonrp said:

Anybody having trouble updating Helix Native to the 3.5 Factory patches?  Both in Reaper and Cantabile, poking the "Restore Factory Settings" button in Helix Native simply does nothing.  Has anyone seen this and figured it out?

There are two distinct tabs with “restore factory settings” buttons, probably you are on the wrong tab. Not at my computer right now and I don’t remember the tabs’ exact captions, but one is for settings and the other is for presets IIRC..

On 11/4/2022 at 10:52 PM, emersonrp said:

That was totally it, and I feel dumb.  :)  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

No problem, I was just as confused :) seems like the UI could use some improvement.

Hey guys,

I just updated to 3.50 and wanted to update my old dual cabs with the newer ones, but I realized that now you cannot put a dual cab and a 1024 IR block in the same row. All my presets have a dual cab as well as an IR block, so this is a big deal breaker for me.

The new cab and IR blocks now should even be less DSP heavy, so why did Line6 introduce this limitation? :(

image.png

On 11/4/2022 at 6:37 PM, kringle said:

Hi Kringle,

Thank you for your well considered comment and deep insight of the situation.

It would appear to me that if I should decide to "step away", then you will be the one to "step up" and replace me.  You are obviously the one best suited to assist other forum users with various issues, especially "failed" update recovery. Or maybe not, judging by this post which you made when you couldn't figure out how to do that very thing.

"Alright, I give up though on trying to figure it how I would do an offline update.  I downloaded the new firmware but can't find any way to do it through HX Edit or Line 6 Updater.  Can someone share the trick to do an offline update?"

You asked "Can someone share the trick to do an offline update?" Well, other than me, there're several regular contributors on this forum who, almost daily do exactly that, and I would also add that I am not the only one who finds this constant re-posting of instructions for bailing people out of "update bricked my Helix" scenarios exceedingly tedious. I have been adding the "this is becoming tedious" comment on many of my posts for quite some time, even more in the past couple of years, especially when the HX Edit update procedure was supposed to make everything about installing firmware "foolproof" As I have said on many occasions, - Nothing is foolproof, to a sufficiently talented fool!

RE: Your further comment - "but I only see two post from you here... ". Really, hmm, well according to the profile stats I have actually in excess of 4,000 posts in here, whereas,  since you joined on 10th December 2014, your total posts amount to 55, which is a huge contribution to the Line 6 community. Well done - give yourself a huge pat on the back in congratulations.

Sorry for my late reply to your jibe, but I have only just stopped laughing at it. It's possibly because I'm very old and cantankerous, that makes me like this - My wife says I need to work on my "people skills", but I have pointed out to her that my people skills are just fine - it's my tolerance of idiots that needs work.

Genius, pure genius.

Hope this helps/makes sense. Probably not!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Hi there,

I just updated to 3.5. However, I still didn't do step 3 (factory reset) as I'm a bit confused.

From the release notes I understand this (as of step 3-4-5):

• At step 3: If I perform a factory reset, Helix will overwrite the current factory presets of factory 1 and 2 with the new factory presets that come with firmware 3.5? Is this correct?
    • For example, the "01A US Double Nrm" presets will be changed with some tweaks brought by the update 3.5?
  • At step 4: If I restore from back up, all the "new factory presets" will go back to the prior factory presets?
    • In other words, if I'm not someone that uses factory 1 and 2 presets (which I don't), this won't have an effect in my sound?
    • Also: why should I restore from backup? After I updated firmware 3.5 (i made a back up tough as required in the update), I can see all my user presets. So I'm not sure why I would need to restore from back up (If I don't intend to use factory 1 and 2 presets). Or also, after doing factory reset, I can instead just import my user presets right? No need to restore from back up, or am I wrong? Is this really required?

If you can help me out with this confusion I have, I highly appreciate your help.

Regards,

Elton

On 11/5/2022 at 4:54 AM, LoloPoe said:

Hey guys,

I just updated to 3.50 and wanted to update my old dual cabs with the newer ones, but I realized that now you cannot put a dual cab and a 1024 IR block in the same row. All my presets have a dual cab as well as an IR block, so this is a big deal breaker for me.

The new cab and IR blocks now should even be less DSP heavy, so why did Line6 introduce this limitation? :(

image.png

It has to do with how the new cabs and IR blocks are handled by the SHARC processors. They were able to cut the DSP usage by taking advantage of something particular to the SHARC chips, so this limitation is a result of that. You can run two cabs, two 1024 IRs or one of each on a processor path now. I believe you can still use a dual legacy cab block and an IR block on the same processor path, though.

• Upvote 1

On 11/5/2022 at 5:02 PM, phil_m said:

It has to do with how the new cabs and IR blocks are handled by the SHARC processors. They were able to cut the DSP usage by taking advantage of something particular to the SHARC chips, so this limitation is a result of that. You can run two cabs, two 1024 IRs or one of each on a processor path now. I believe you can still use a dual legacy cab block and an IR block on the same processor path, though.

I see, so I guess there's no way around it.
I confirm I can use the dual legacy cab (or a single new cab) with the IR, still it's kind of a bummer I can't get full advantage of the new features :/

Thank you! /,,/

On 11/5/2022 at 11:41 AM, ertromp said:

Hi there,

I just updated to 3.5. However, I still didn't do step 3 (factory reset) as I'm a bit confused.

From the release notes I understand this (as of step 3-4-5):

• At step 3: If I perform a factory reset, Helix will overwrite the current factory presets of factory 1 and 2 with the new factory presets that come with firmware 3.5? Is this correct?
    • For example, the "01A US Double Nrm" presets will be changed with some tweaks brought by the update 3.5?
  • At step 4: If I restore from back up, all the "new factory presets" will go back to the prior factory presets?
    • In other words, if I'm not someone that uses factory 1 and 2 presets (which I don't), this won't have an effect in my sound?
    • Also: why should I restore from backup? After I updated firmware 3.5 (i made a back up tough as required in the update), I can see all my user presets. So I'm not sure why I would need to restore from back up (If I don't intend to use factory 1 and 2 presets). Or also, after doing factory reset, I can instead just import my user presets right? No need to restore from back up, or am I wrong? Is this really required?

If you can help me out with this confusion I have, I highly appreciate your help.

Regards,

Elton

Hi,

The factory reset is just good standard practice to make sure their are no traces of the previous firmware still in your device that could lead to problems. It takes less than 5 minutes.

When you restore from backup, you can choose to restore which banks of factory presets or user presets you want restored. It cam also restore your IR's, your favourites, global settings and preferences  etc...It takes about 30 seconds. Seems a lot easier than importing them all and fooling around with the hardware adjusting your preferences.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

Also, should you have any Presets which you may have individually saved to your local drive before the upgrade which you wish to Import to your Setlist, perform the Power On Preset Rebuild routine! This will allow your Helix to rebuild all your Presets to assure they are compliant with the current firmware. See HelixHelp.com for the Reset Options for your Helix Device.

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2022 at 3:18 PM, mritt said:

Hi,

The factory reset is just good standard practice to make sure their are no traces of the previous firmware still in your device that could lead to problems. It takes less than 5 minutes.

When you restore from backup, you can choose to restore which banks of factory presets or user presets you want restored. It cam also restore your IR's, your favourites, global settings and preferences  etc...It takes about 30 seconds. Seems a lot easier than importing them all and fooling around with the hardware adjusting your preferences.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the factory reset explanation.

I'm planning on starting from scratch again. So if that is the case, I won't need to restore from backup right?

Cheers,

Elton

On 11/4/2022 at 3:11 PM, Digital_Igloo said:

I summarily dismissed it? Were we talking about hardware GUI or something?

You said something to the effect of "You don't need moveable mics because you can basically achieve the same effect via the Hi Cut and Mic Distance parameters."

On 11/12/2022 at 2:54 AM, firubbi said:

I'm trying from Windows 7 32bit with no luck. Says failed and HX stomp XL restart with a black screen. Everything fridge. I waited for an hour to see if it's working on background! I'll post some pics. Shall I try from win 10?

Thanks 

Go here and follow the instructions given:

Hope this helps/make sense

There definitely is noticeable sound improvement when increasing distance with the new cabs, as opposed to just using high cuts and distance with the old cabs.  With the old ones, you would lose much more presence and high end moving the distance, and especially using high cuts.  I'm actually looking forward to the next set of cabs/mics to be modeled, because the new method just retains more of the frequencies than the older "filter method"....and for me, I previously did not care as much about improving the cab block before hearing it in this update.