Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What a huge difference

Evan329

On 11/3/2022 at 5:50 PM, theElevators said:

really? 

Really. Maybe it's just the new cabs, maybe something else under the hood, but even the Factory presets are much improved. That's all I've had time to mess with so far today, but I'm VERY happy with the update. I hope it fixed your output problem?

• Upvote 1

On 11/3/2022 at 8:24 PM, rd2rk said:

Really. Maybe it's just the new cabs, maybe something else under the hood, but even the Factory presets are much improved. That's all I've had time to mess with so far today, but I'm VERY happy with the update. I hope it fixed your output problem?

That's great to hear!  However I will wait to update the firmware for another month or two.  I have a gig, then a tour coming up, so I want to be 100% sure there are no issues.  After every major update, there is always an immediate hotfix.... 

My philosophy is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  TBH, I don't need anything that 3.50 has.  But if the sound quality is indeed better, then it's worth checking out for sure.  The left/mono bug getting fixed would be a nice bonus.

• Like 2

On 11/3/2022 at 6:30 PM, theElevators said:

That's great to hear!  However I will wait to update the firmware for another month or two.  I have a gig, then a tour coming up, so I want to be 100% sure there are no issues.  After every major update, there is always an immediate hotfix.... 

The voice of experience...

• Upvote 2

Love that this firmware update upped the cabs sound quality! Hope they decide to get comprehensive and get around to upgrading the rest of the legacy cabs as well in a future update. Wouldn't want to trigger any OCD by only seeing the current partial selection from the legacy cabs in the new upgraded cabs list. Right now though I am way too busy seeing how many extra blocks I can stuff into every preset thanks to the DSP optimization in the new cabs and IR management :-)

From release notes:

"Due to further improvements to Helix Core, new Cabs and 1024-point IRs use roughly 66% less DSP as in 3.15 or earlier. Even the new IR > Dual block uses less DSP than a single IR block in 3.15. 2048-point IRs use roughly 80% less DSP, although they still use a lot of memory, so they're still limited to one instance per path. NOTE: Older Hybrid cabs use the same amount of DSP as in earlier firmware."

On 11/3/2022 at 5:50 PM, theElevators said:

really? 

I think no ... not really. 

The new cabs are nice though.  In my opinion people thinking a core sound design was improved are actually hearing their own excitement. 

I could be wrong though.  I got no special in.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 11/6/2022 at 1:17 PM, theElevators said:

I mean for your existing presets, do they sound the same or better?  I doubt they do. 

Core tone updates.... nah, that's placebo or so subtle very, very few would notice.

The cabs are something different. In a real world set up... any change to a speaker, cabinet or mic makes a difference. Better or worse.... that's always subjective.  Some people will love this cab update, others will wonder why it was needed. 

IMO... Peoples knowledge of speakers/mics/placement will be a large factor in how they feel about this new option. 

Just in case it's not clear... L6 didn't replace anything, they just added options. All those old cabs & mics are still there and sound like they always have. When you fire up your Helix after the update your presets will sound exactly the same until you choose to try a "new cab block". At that point it WILL be different, and it's up to you if you like it or not. 

• Upvote 2

Agree mix placement knowledge is very important!  Can someone point me to a good reference on mix placement principles, etc. I know I can Google and I also realize trial and error is the best learning tool! However, it would be nice to have some basic knowledge before all the testing. For example, last night I used one of my patches and made a snapshot of the existing cab and one for the new cab.   When on the new cab snapshot, I would use pedal edit to change the parameters of the speaker while I played. That was helpful and will be my learning tool. I can see it will take a while because my ears are not what they used to be.   

So again any good references would be much appreciated.... Basic stuff like, move the mic out to get rid of the base, or what the 45axis is supposed to do.

I'm also sure I'm not the only one that needs this.   Thanks

On 11/8/2022 at 4:49 PM, PaulTBaker said:

Basic stuff like, move the mic out to get rid of the base, or what the 45axis is supposed to do.

Moving mic out of the cap is basically LPF
Moving mic off axis is basically HPF
45deg is the same as moving off axis but a lot of people believe it does some magic.
Current "stock cab" is GUI approach. In such solutions only a few IRs are actually used, they may be interpolated and filted to give a user a nicer experience.

• Like 1

Recording Magazine Resources: Capturing the Cab Mics and Miking

For those like me that don't know this.... the above is a good start!

"

First, the further you are from the cabinet, the more room tone you’ll get. The direct sound of the cabinet will be less bassy and have softer highs. The closer you are, the more direct cabinet sound you’ll get, with added proximity effect down low plus piercing highs.

Second, the closer you are to the center of the speaker cone, the brighter and more direct the sound will be. As you move towards the edge of the cone, the sound will get darker.

Third—on-axis vs. off-axis. This comparison refers to the angle at which the mic is placed in relation to the sound source. So, let’s say you have that SM57 placed at a 45 degree angle against the grille of the cab. That is 45 degrees off-axis. If you place it pointing straight towards the cab, that’s on-axis. Not surprisingly, on-axis gives your more treble and more punch. Off-axis gives a bassier, darker and warmer tone."

and much more!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2022 at 11:53 AM, PaulTBaker said:

Recording Magazine Resources: Capturing the Cab Mics and Miking

For those like me that don't know this.... the above is a good start!

That's a good resource... 

IMO... mic choice/placement/combinations is a critical stage in tone development. It doesn't end at the amp alone... traditionally that was just where you handed off the duties to an engineer or tech.