Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can we assume new firmware is coming?

daveaphotopod

I definitely don't want to start a rumor, but I have noticed in the past that some effects "trickle down" from the Helix series to the POD GO. I know that none of us may know definitively, but has that been your observation too? 

Also, can I say how awesome this is? That they continue to update the devices we have? Things like that just make me glad with the choice I made to purchase the POD GO and happy to support the company. 

• Like 1

I think it's pretty much accepted now that when Helix gets an upgrade, Line 6 will then consider what might be able to come across to Pod Go but always subject to limitations of its lower DSP & memory, and different architecture to Helix.  However don't hold your breath re timing - historically we could be looking 4-6 months for the next Pod Go firmware update.  

v3.5 Helix has new amp and fx models and so I think it's a safe bet these will come over to Pod Go (but same caveat re DSP/memory - Pod Go may not get all the effects but to date it has always got the amp models).  

Speaking purely personally, I'm really not excited re new amp/fx models simply because Pod Go has so much in it already and a lot of amp models and even some fx do sound very similar anyway and as a gigging player lots of subtleties get lost in the mix anyway.   However, what's really interesting is that Helix has an all new IR based cab engine with dual cabs and movable mic positions off axis.  Pod Go's 'weakness' (IMHO) is its stock cab models.  I suspect this new IR cab engine is unlikely to be available to Pod Go (it was kind of already in Helix, but this is new and enhanced) but if Line 6 was able to give Pod Go some IR enhanced quality cab engine facility even in a watered down form, that would be really great.  You can see Helix v3.5 upgrades here:

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 12:32 AM, voxman55 said:

However, what's really interesting is that Helix has an all new IR based cab engine with dual cabs and movable mic positions off axis.  Pod Go's 'weakness' (IMHO) is its stock cab models.  I suspect this new IR cab engine is unlikely to be available to Pod Go (it was kind of already in Helix, but this is new and enhanced) but if Line 6 was able to give Pod Go some IR enhanced quality cab engine facility even in a watered down form, that would be really great.

The section in the release notes with the header "New Cabs and IRs now use 66-80% Less DSP" makes me hopeful. It says "Due to further improvements to Helix Core" and "Older Hybrid cabs use the same amount of DSP as in earlier firmware." My hope would be that the new cab engine with lower DSP usage would make it into the Pod Go. It's likely to be watered down but I'll take what I can get.

As soon as I saw "New Cabs and IRs now use 66-80% Less DSP" I got hopeful that these would come to POD Go, I really hate the mic placement of the stock cabs and it forces me to always use an IR, I like the microphone just after cap edge but the stock cabs seem to be direct on the cap. Hopefully POD Go has enough onboard memory to store all the new IR Cabs, if it can't get all the mics just at least give us SOME of the most popular mic/cab combos Line 6!

On 11/4/2022 at 12:32 AM, voxman55 said:

historically we could be looking 4-6 months for the next Pod Go firmware update. 

Version 3.50.0 -  Released 11/3/22 ->  ??? 

Version 3.15.0   Released 2/8/22 -> Version 1.40.0 - Released 7/19/22 

Version 3.10.0  Released 4/15/21 -> Version 1.30.0 - Released 10/5/21  

Version 3.01.0  Released 12/4/20 ->  Version 1.21.0 - Released 3/25/21 

Yep! 4-6 months is pretty much spot on!

For which will make it in, traditionally, it's been 'everything' except what is too intensive to fit in the go, so you could use this to see what costs what, comparatively tow what we got or didn't, can give a good idea:   https://benvesco.com/store/helix-dsp-allocations/

For the new cabs, reduction in DSP sounds great.  If I'm reading the table from above correctly, it appears that an IR costs 10% more DSP than using a cab, so yeah saving that 10% for an IR plus whatever new cab saves, would add up to a ton of DSP!  Hopefully it makes it..  And yeah more tweak ability can't hurt.

New Cabs and IRs now use 66-80% Less DSP

Helix Floor, Helix Rack/Control, Helix LT, Helix Native, HX Effects [IRs only], HX Stomp, HX Stomp XL

350_DSP.jpg

Due to further improvements to Helix Core, new Cabs and 1024-point IRs use roughly 66% less DSP as older Hybrid cabs and IRs in 3.15 and earlier versions. A new Cab > Dual block uses less DSP than a single Hybrid cab block and the new IR > Dual block uses less DSP than a single IR block in 3.15. 2048-point IRs use roughly 80% less DSP, although they still use a lot of memory, so they're still limited to one instance per path. NOTE: Older Hybrid cabs use the same amount of DSP as in earlier firmware.

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking that the POD Go may get the new cabs that use less DSP, and also get the ability to move the microphone... I don't see them giving POD Go users a dual cab function though because even if they use 66 - 80% less DSP the doubling feature probably exceeds the POD Go's capabilities... Also remember the Helix is capable of running dual cabs and IRs in parallel even before the latest update while the POD Go hasn't been capable of parallel anything ever... That is probably a hardware limitation...

On 11/26/2022 at 12:16 PM, Rickkit said:

I was thinking that the POD Go may get the new cabs that use less DSP, and also get the ability to move the microphone... I don't see them giving POD Go users a dual cab function though because even if they use 66 - 80% less DSP the doubling feature probably exceeds the POD Go's capabilities... Also remember the Helix is capable of running dual cabs and IRs in parallel even before the latest update while the POD Go hasn't been capable of parallel anything ever... That is probably a hardware limitation...

I agree with your line of thinking. Less DSP use will help, but it won't perform miracles. 

If nothing else, they added a more effects (like one that is supposed to be similar to the Plumes, so maybe the POD GO will get that/those? I guess we'll see. 

• Like 1