Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Bug with Vitriol Crunch Model?

JimGordon

So, when using the Vitriol Crunch model, when the pre-gain is set up to and including 7, it behaves "fine", if a bit "tubby" and undefined.  However, the moment you set it to 7.1 or above, it suddenly loses all definition and becomes like a bloated fuzz pedal disguised as an amp model.  I've seen video demos on youtube from Ola Englund and Kyle Bull, where it definitely had a fuzzy and undefined low end, but not to this extreme.  Could this be a modeling bug?  I could see it becoming this bad set to like 9.7 or so, but it seems like the gain taper is "off" and just shoots up without warning.  I tried EQ'ing before and after to cut lower frequencies, but none of that worked.  Maybe someone who has used it in Metallurgy can answer if this is the way their model works.

On a related note, I did find a workaround for this.  After hearing that the master boost needs to be engaged in the real thing (Invective) to make it sound "good", I decided to put a Horizon Drive in front of it, because the guy who they consulted to design this amp was also the guy who came up with the Horizon Drive concept.  Set the gain to relatively low, level to 10, and "attack" to 3, and guess what?  The uncontrollable low end vanished at higher pre gain levels.  Lowering the attack to "2" reintroduces some of the tubbiness, but not to the ridiculous levels you hear without the pedal. 

What's weird is that the lead channel model doesn't have this issue.....

Yeah, I tried to see if messing around with the Post Gain would help, but that only makes it sound quieter, and less gainy in an "unhelpful" way, without eliminating the "fart".  Guess the Horizon drive may be the only way to make it usable at higher pre gain settings, without completely altering the character.  I tried the Pillars pedal first, but it didn't seem to help much at any of the settings.  Seems like the bass jumps way up at the input stage at 7.1.  Lowering the actual bass control or resonance really does nothing for this issue....

On 11/6/2022 at 7:39 AM, Kilrahi said:

I've been craving some farty just on the edge of blow up guitar tones

Fwiw, the Top Secret OD has always been one of my favourites for that kinda sound. Great mixture between overdrive and some more fuzzy, wooly goodness.

• Haha 1

I can confirm the OP's observations and think it is a bug, too. It gets weirdly out of control with pre gain past 7. A bit like a compressor with a too long release time.

But with lower pre gain (and a boost like i.e. a volume block in front) it can get enough gain for me and is a usable and very cool sounding model.