Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

delay trail under v3.5

goodmove

I have the impression that the behavior of the delay trails has changed under v3.5.  When switching to a snapshot with the delay disabled, the audible trail can change drastically if the parameters of the disabled delay are set differently. That doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe a bug? 

Check your global settings -- do you have your delay trails set to "transparent"?  or "accurate"?  Try "transparent" if that is not what you have.

Between 2 snapshots you can have different delay tempos as well, which some people use to their advantage.  So check if this is the case, as well.  You may be disabling the delay, but the tap tempo is slower so it sounds very exaggerated.  See my video explaining the delay tempo trick. 

https://youtu.be/5m-1tfnfreo

Yes I have set it to transparent in the globals, and the tap tempo is set 'per preset' , instead of 'per snapshot'. What bothers me is the fact that the trail is controlled by the parameters of the disabled delay. 

Let's say in snapshot 2 the delay is disabled, and the feedback is set to zero for snap2, then no audible trail will happen at all when switching to snap2. I'm not 100% sure but I think this behavior is new. 

My guess would be that you simply can't have everything. For "true delay trails no matter what" to work, the source delay would have to remain active in the background. But in case it's parameters are altered, it only could do so in case a "hidden" instance would be loaded simultaneously. Which would result in quite some CPU cycles to get lost.

So, to me this behaviour is just normal - and I don't think anything changed from previous versions. Btw, from all I know, the Boss GT-1000 does it the same. There's spillovers when changing patches but the delay/verb nature will be changed according to the settings in the target patch.

On 11/6/2022 at 7:16 AM, goodmove said:

Yes I have set it to transparent in the globals, and the tap tempo is set 'per preset' , instead of 'per snapshot'. What bothers me is the fact that the trail is controlled by the parameters of the disabled delay. 

Let's say in snapshot 2 the delay is disabled, and the feedback is set to zero for snap2, then no audible trail will happen at all when switching to snap2. I'm not 100% sure but I think this behavior is new. 

If you set the Feedback to 0 in the snapshot you’re going to, yes, the trails will die off when you go to that snapshot no matter what the bypass state of the block. All the trails are is the wet signal continuing from the delay block, so the parameters of the bypassed block are still controlling it.