Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helixe Native 3.5 crashes Reaper

OnLyTNT

On 11/6/2022 at 3:58 PM, OnLyTNT said:

Hello,

As title says it crashes. Reinstalled both Helix and Reaper, Reaper is the latest version running on Windows 10. Anyone has any idea?

Thank you...

Hi,

I refer you to my reply to “Gryphon” in this thread -

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Edit:

In the main Helix area of the forum there are many Reaper users who have updated without issue. The most reported issue is with Cakewalk.

Edited by datacommando
Edit

Is the cash happening when working with a song created using 3.15, when creating a new song using 3.50, or both?  I don't know what plugin type you are using (VST2, AU or VST3), but for Windows 10 installs, the VST2 (just .VST extension) version of the plugin does not automatically install, you need to select it (which you have to do for Reason, which only supports VST2, not VST3). 

I have an open support ticket for my crashing VST2 on Mac, but the problem there seems to be they did not include an updated VST2 plugin.  The VST3 and AU work fine on Mac in DAWs that support those formats (e.g., FL Studio).  The Win10 install seems to work fine.

I was having this issue and I think I solved it for me. When installing the update, the installer did not ask me where I wanted the file to installed at. It ended up in a different file than my last version of Helix Native and I think Reaper was then trying to run two different pathways and having two different versions installed. So double check that and see if it helps.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I'm using VST3 (always used VST3, never had a problem before),  Reaper (not Reason) is x64 version. I try it with a new created project, I add a new track, add FX, select Helix, boom!

When I try to load the plug-in as a separate process it fails to load, in this case Reaper remains fine. I am missing something, probably something simple but can not pin point it somehow...

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2022 at 11:01 AM, OnLyTNT said:

I'm using VST3 (always used VST3, never had a problem before),  Reaper (not Reason) is x64 version. I try it with a new created project, I add a new track, add FX, select Helix, boom!

When I try to load the plug-in as a separate process it fails to load, in this case Reaper remains fine. I am missing something, probably something simple but can not pin point it somehow...

Hi.

I'm having crashes in Reaper also. Maybe it has something to do with your crashes.

My Reaper crashes when playing, not when inserting Native.

It crashes when Native receives midi input from another track, for snapshot changes or other parameter and only if Native window is visible. If I close the window it doesn't crash. Only happens since 3.50 update. 

It seems a bit far fetched but it maybe related to your problem. 

Do you have any midi hardware connected to reaper? Or midi tracks? Is the track where you insert Native receiving any sort of midi instructions?

Unrelated to midi, maybe your Windows Security is protecting the folder where the vst or the rest of native is installed. Check if the controlled access folder is activated.

Or maybe get rid of any native install you have. And clean the installation folders. Fresh install may solve the problem. 

Always backup first.

Cheers

On 11/12/2022 at 4:01 AM, OnLyTNT said:

I had the same issue...

• Completely uninstall the old version first (after you backup your patches, setlists, IRs, etc) -
    • I found a Helix Native Uninstaller program on my PC, here: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Line6\Helix Native\Helix Native Uninstaller.exe" - use that if it's there
  • Check where Reaper is looking for plugins
    • Options > Preferences > Plugins > VST > Edit Path List...
    • Remove any instances of Helix Native that might be in those folders
  • Install 3.5
  • The new version installs in the folder: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\Line 6\"
  • Make sure that path is being included in Reaper:
    • Options > Preferences > Plugins > VST > Edit Path List...
    • Add the path above if necessary
  • Re-scan the plugin path(s) in Reaper or just restart Reaper

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/7/2022 at 10:55 AM, OnLyTNT said:

I tried everything but still not working.

Finally, I decided to install VST x64 (not VST3) and it is working now!... Definitely something wrong is going on with VST3 x64 ...

On 12/8/2022 at 7:26 PM, vsthem said:

Just chiming in to say that I got a ton of Reaper crashes with 3.5 also, but they went away when I used VST rather than VST3 plugin. I'll try the line6 driver and see if that fixes it

Hi.

Have you installed the new update 3.51. My crashes went away with this new version. No issues so far.

Sorry Silverhead but why would a driver affect a VST plugin?

Does the driver package include more than just a driver for the hardware?

On 12/8/2022 at 10:11 PM, ppoceiro said:

why would a driver affect a VST plugin?

Does the driver package include more than just a driver for the hardware?

Hi,

An audio driver is a piece of software that enables your computer operating system communicate with any audio devices you have connected, for example - sound cards, speakers, headphones etc. As Helix Native is a plug-in component (VST, Audio Unit, whatever) in the audio workflow of a Digital,Audio Workstation, the driver enables it to communicate with the outside world, i.e. your ears.

Drivers are an often overlooked important part of your set up. Google “what does an audio driver do?”, or “what is an audio driver” for a little more insight.

On 12/8/2022 at 10:52 PM, datacommando said:

Hi,

An audio driver is a piece of software that enables your computer operating system communicate with any audio devices you have connected, for example - sound cards, speakers, headphones etc. As Helix Native is a plug-in component (VST, Audio Unit, whatever) in the audio workflow of a Digital,Audio Workstation, the driver enables it to communicate with the outside world, i.e. your ears.

Drivers are an often overlooked important part of your set up. Google “what does an audio driver do?”, or “what is an audio driver” for a little more insight.

Right.

I just overlooked that the fellow user that mentioned the line 6 driver may be using helix or other L6 hardware as an audio interface...

Of course the audio driver of any audio interface may cause crashes with any plugin.

I just thought if he's using native he's not using helix hardware so no point checking/updating helix drivers since he's using another interface. But of course he may be using helix hardware.

• Like 1