Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Starting Helix Control Update.....[stuck]

theblackshag

My Helix rack unit is up to date with the latest 3.50 update. 

When the foot controller is plugged in, it says the controller needs to be updated.

When I select OK to update, it reads "Starting Helix Control Update..." but it never progresses beyond this point.

This happened right before a gig and basically ruined the show for me. 

What do I need to do to get beyond this point?

This is a message on the Rack itself, not in HX Edit?

There's no option to NOT update now, so you can't get past the message to use the unit?

With HX Edit (v3.5) closed, if you open the L6 Updater, does it show the Controller as a separate update item?

I don't have a Rack, I have Floor and HXS, so I'm just whacking at this, but I went to the Downloads page and there's no FW update for the Rack Control.

Did you perform a Factory Reset after the update? If not, do that now (hope you followed the directions and made a backup).

If the Factory Reset doesn't fix it, time to contact support!

• Like 1

@JoshueGomes, you really should have started your own thread, but....step 2 takes a little time. The device will say "Boot Failure. Entered update mode!" Just wait a minute or two and then  you will get an option to Resume. If you didn't get this, or prematurely performed the factory reset, then check this out and it should get you sorted:

Should get you back on track.

On 11/7/2022 at 5:15 PM, theblackshag said:

My Helix rack unit is up to date with the latest 3.50 update. 

When the foot controller is plugged in, it says the controller needs to be updated.

When I select OK to update, it reads "Starting Helix Control Update..." but it never progresses beyond this point.

This happened right before a gig and basically ruined the show for me. 

What do I need to do to get beyond this point?

Hi,

From the “Updating Helix/HX” page, see points 1 and 5 regarding updates for Rack.

1. Just to be safe:
    • Shut down all Line 6 software or any programs that use audio, like DAWs, iTunes, Spotify, video games, etc.
    • If your computer's sleep timer is set relatively short, disable it, as the update can fail if your computer goes to sleep
    • Make sure external devices are not currently sending MIDI to Helix/HX. If you're unsure, unplug Helix/HX's MIDI IN port
    • If you have Helix Rack and Helix Control connected, turn off Helix Control
  2. Launch the newest version of HX Edit you installed in STEP ONE above. If you're not signed in, click "Check for Updates" in the lower right corner and sign in. If you're already signed in, it appears as "Update available!"
  3. Click Update Now. A window appears, asking you to back up your Helix/HX hardware. Click OK, optionally rename the backup and/or choose a different destination folder, and then click Create Backup.
  4. Continue following the prompts. Once updated, the window reads "Update Complete" and your Helix/HX hardware begins rebuilding its presets; wait for this to complete and click Back to HX Edit.
  5. If you have Helix Control connected to Helix Rack, turn on Helix Control. If Helix Rack reads "Helix Control must be updated to work properly," press Knob 6 (OK). (Some updates affect Helix Control, others don't.)

find full details here:

You could try a complete reinstall of the latest firmware using the Line 6 Updater Utility.

Follow the information given here, but remember the previous notes regarding the Controller.

Oh, and finally - first rule of Helix club

NEVER, EVER, UPDATE TO A NEW FIRMWARE BEFORE AN IMPORTANT GIG, RECORDING SESSION, AUDITION OR ANY SITUATION IN WHICH YOU GETTING PAID MAY BE INVOLVED, ETC.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

EDIT:

In the event that none of this works - contact Customer Support.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for the feedback datacommando

Unfortunately, reinstalling the firmware did not resolve the issue with the controller.

The Helix rack unit definitely senses the rack controller because it prompts for the for the control to be updated as soon as it is plugged in.

But when you select OK, it pauses at that point and never goes beyond "Starting Helix Control Update..."

The controller lights up but there are no scripts and the switches do not have any effect.

Re:

NEVER, EVER, UPDATE TO A NEW FIRMWARE BEFORE AN IMPORTANT GIG, RECORDING SESSION, AUDITION OR ANY SITUATION IN WHICH YOU GETTING PAID MAY BE INVOLVED, ETC.

In this case I got to the gig, went to plug in the controller and was hit with the "Helix Controller Must Be Updated To Work Properly" prompt.

Prior to that gig I had not made any firmware updates. So there must be something wrong with the controller itself. Very concerning as I would not want to experience that before a gig again. 

Re:

EDIT:

In the event that none of this works - contact Customer Support.

I have contacted Customer Support and it sounds like they want me to take it to an Authorized Service Center. I could be without the controller for another 2-4 weeks (if they can fix it). Super bummed. Back to the old analog pedal board for the next round of shows. 

Hoping this is a one off issue and not something I have to worry about before future gigs.

On 11/12/2022 at 7:58 AM, theblackshag said:

Hoping this is a one off issue and not something I have to worry about before future gigs.

Hi,

I would hope that it genuinely is a “one off” situation. Actual hardware failures seem to be relatively few and far between. In the six years I have been using my Helix floor unit, on an almost daily basis, I have had the joystick encoder break, and the repair was very fast and efficient - including shipping both directions it was away less than 2 weeks. Luckily, I had a standby backup ready to drop in place until it was fixed. Fail safe!

You will possibly see posts in here about failed USB ports, power supplies, glitchy foot-switches - most of which are not matters of life and death and reasonably easy to fix. The thing is people who have no problems with their devices, don’t usually post to tell everyone how rugged and reliable their unit is. It would appear that the majority of users don’t have that many hardware problems, mainly firmware updates and it would be fairly exceptional to have software turn your device into a boat anchor. Stuff breaks, that’s just the way it is. Valves pop, fuses blow, it’s not just digital gear that can go flakey.

Hope you get yours fixed quickly and are soon back up and running.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I also have the Helix Rack & Control.  The 3.5 update went fine & the unit was fine for a few days.  I went to use it last evening & the Control scribble strips were all blank & the Helix locked up.  I had to do a factory reset & allow it to rebuild all the presets.  This process took at least an hour.  All is fine now, but I will never install version .0 of anything again. 

Line 6 "Here's your update. Test it for us & we will fix it with a patch".

With Amplitube 5, Scuffham & Ownhammer IR's, the Helix is rapidly becoming a very expensive patch bay in my setup.

• 4 months later...

I followed up with Line 6 service and they recommended I take it to one of their warranty electronic places near by.

Now five months later I get it all back and it still does not work. Line 6 had the electronic place ship it to them after the local tech's could not resolve.

What an absolute waste of time.

Zero faith in the product at this point.