Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Knob not working since 3.5 update on LT

adauria

Juist to add my personal experience here: when I received my brand new LT (about 2 weeks ago) I immediately performed the upgrade to 3.5 and don't have any of the issues reported. Could it be:

• Because it was a fresh unit install/upgrade without any users presets/configs/etc?
  • Hardware version - perhaps better/new/revised components are mounted on newer units? - I ask this because I remember that some early HX Effects units presented audio artefacts/noise which was indeed because of mismatched components?
  • Doesn't the knob/encoders behaviour changed on 3.5?:

Other Changes and Improvements in 3.50

• Encoder ballistics have been drastically improved. For example, tonestack values can go from 0.0 to 10.0 with one turn
  • Helix Floor/Rack/LT only—SHORTCUT: While the Model List is open, pressing [AMP] jumps to highlight the Amp category without having to scroll down to it
  • Helix Floor/Rack/LT only—The Impulse Response category's name has been shortened to "IR" (now matches that of HX Stomp/XL) to accommodate a wider subcategory column in the model list as well as accommodate longer IR names in the inspector header

Nevertheless, older units or not, it seems the 3.50 causes this issue as reported by users and I'm very glad that Line6 stands by its product and tries to solve it.

On 3/10/2023 at 12:41 AM, kduck said:

Update:

I submitted a support ticket to Line6 late Friday 3/3.  Support responded 3/7 and issued me an RMA# and offered a repair at no charge.  FWIW, this was before I mentioned that my unit is still under the extended warranty, so seems like Line6 is standing behind their product.  Prepaid UPS label was emailed to me today (3/9) and the Helix will be on its way to Calabasas tomorrow.  I'll try to provide updates on the progress via edits to this post.  So far, it's been a positive experience.

There is nothing broken in my Stomp that needs a repair, so I'd never send my unit just because they screwed up with an update. Last time I did that, the floor returned with more problems than before. Good luck with yours tho. :)

Meh.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

I shipped my Helix to Line6 for warranty repair (shipping paid by Line6).  I got it back 14 days later and everything is now working.  The tech support rep was very responsive throughout the process. 

I did ask the rep, "Just out of curiosity, have you had other units fail post 3.5 upgrade?"  The rep's response was, "Its not a common failure, so it's most likely just a coincidence rather than an issue with the update."   Just thought I'd share that exchange with the group.

All in all, a positive experience for me.

• Thanks 2

On 3/30/2023 at 9:05 PM, kduck said:

Update:

I shipped my Helix to Line6 for warranty repair (shipping paid by Line6).  I got it back 14 days later and everything is now working.  The tech support rep was very responsive throughout the process. 

I did ask the rep, "Just out of curiosity, have you had other units fail post 3.5 upgrade?"  The rep's response was, "Its not a common failure, so it's most likely just a coincidence rather than an issue with the update."   Just thought I'd share that exchange with the group.

All in all, a positive experience for me.

Thanks for the feedback on how that turned out. Glad to hear everything is working. I also performed the update to 3.5 and didn't experience any failure on the knobs.

On 3/30/2023 at 10:05 PM, kduck said:

I did ask the rep, "Just out of curiosity, have you had other units fail post 3.5 upgrade?"  The rep's response was, "Its not a common failure, so it's most likely just a coincidence rather than an issue with the update."   

Yeah,  must be a coincidence the problem does disappear completely when rolling back to the previous firmware, and come back only with 3.5.

Suuuuuure. XD

On 3/31/2023 at 8:51 AM, PierM said:

Yeah,  must be a coincidence the problem does disappear completely when rolling back to the previous firmware, and come back only with 3.5.

To be clear, the problem I had did NOT disappear/resolve when I rolled back to previous firmware as I stated in my post here:  

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

I got exactly the same problem, after updating to firmware 3.6 (but I suspect it already happened with 3.5) display knob n. 2 (left to right) is nailed between two values and do not move, while all the others are ok. Factory reset (twice) didn't work, UI test says that knob 2 is blocked between 128 and 129 (while sporting a generic efficiency "green light"). Don't fancy to go back to previous FW and since I do treat my pedalboard as an holy relic (I mean, no impact, no dust, screen protector and lotta love...) I guess that this could/should be a software bug. Did anyone solve this problem, aside from sending pedalboard back to service centers? Many TX

• 2 months later...
On 12/1/2022 at 4:26 PM, shumphreysmusic said:

I'm having exactly this problem on a Helix LT knob 4, and I did update to 3.5.  I just purchased new but scratch/dent from a major retailer.  I can't say for certain that the knob 4 was working before, but seems like quite a coincidence.  All other knobs are working.  I'll try a factory reset again and the down grade over the next few days.

Replying to my own post here.

The problem is resolved after updating to 3.6!  Perhaps one of the 'minor issues' fixed in the 3.6 firmware was to improve the rotary encoder routine?  (I've worked on this type of code before, and debouncing is not straightforward.)  Cheers.

edit - Not sure what Jadea61 has run into, as it's backwards from mine.  Perhaps try rolling back to 3.5 and see if the knob works again?  (Maybe there is still some lack of robustness with the rotary encoder decoding.)

• 5 months later...

I'm experiencing a recurring issue where the second button from the left on my Helix lt becomes unresponsive. Initially, I suspected a hardware malfunction, but interestingly, the problem resolved itself following a system update. However, after upgrading to version 3.7, the issue with the second button has resurfaced, which is quite frustrating.