Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

3.50 Phasing out of control

bp69589

After a smooth 3.50 update, I loaded up one of my go to studio patches and subbed out the new cabs instead of the legacy cabs. Same mics, same settings. The phase on it is so bad It is unusable. I went back to my old patch and it had phasing all over it now. What's up? Had no problems with phasing before this update. My patch is Wah-Clawthorne Drive-Script phase-2204 Mod- dual cabinet block w4x12XXL+4x12 1960T75-Deluxe Comp-Chorus-Delay-Verb- EQ LoHi cut-Gain block-Volume Block all mono. Any one else having issues with phasing? Never had problems before, this is annoying the heck out of me!

Did you update HX Edit to 3.50?

Did you perform the factory reset after the update?

if not, do it now. If you did, do it again.

If that doesn't fix it, use L6 updater to reinstall the FW.

If that doesn't fix it, IDK.

I had no problems on either my HXS or my Floor.

• Upvote 1

On 11/9/2022 at 10:30 PM, bp69589 said:

Any one else having issues with phasing? Never had problems before, this is annoying the heck out of me!

Hi, 

I’ve not encountered any phase weirdness so far with my Helix floor, but still exploring the new features.

You said that you opened an existing preset and swapped out the old cabs for the new ones then this happened.

As noted by “rd2rk” in the post above - perform a factory reset, which should have happened after the update, at the same time the hardware unit should have gone into the “Rebuilding Presets” routine. The rebuild is to ensure the old presets are compatible with the updated Core system. If this has not been done, all sorts of weirdness may happen.

You didn’t say what hardware device this is happening with, but you can find the factory reset and rebuild options here:

https://helixhelp.com/tips-and-guides/universal/reset-options

Hope this helps/makes sense. 

EDIT:

I have just read you post again and I noticed that you are using a “dual cab block”. You may want to check this thread regarding phase issues on dual cabs:-

Edited by datacommando
Added link

Okay. I feel like a moron, after further investigation, I discovered the problem was that my DAW was in monitor mode on my guitar channels and as I would play the helix signal was mixing with the DAW monitored signal which of course led to the phasing issue. Duh! I think I'm good now. Thanks to everyone for the quick replies!You guys rock.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 11/9/2022 at 5:40 PM, bp69589 said:

Okay. I feel like a moron, after further investigation, I discovered the problem was that my DAW was in monitor mode on my guitar channels and as I would play the helix signal was mixing with the DAW monitored signal which of course led to the phasing issue. Duh! I think I'm good now. Thanks to everyone for the quick replies!You guys rock.

DOH! I hate when that happens! ;-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/10/2022 at 2:14 AM, theElevators said:

I thought 3.5 allows you to switch the phase of IRs...

Hi,

Yes you can flip the phase on regular imported IRs, but the OP was having problems with the new Dual Cab blocks which allow you to add a delay between the cabs to introduce a little phasing.

From the notes on the new dual cabs:

• Pan (Dual only)—Moves the signal left or right across the stereo sound field. For example, if you're running a stereo playback system with two or more speakers, panning the first cab to Left 100 and the second cab to Right 100 can make your tone sound notably wider. Press the knob to return to Center
  • Delay (Dual only)—Although the new cabs in 3.50 perfectly line up with one another, there may be situations where you want to delay one side very slightly, to perhaps impart a bit of phase incoherence or at higher values, to increase the apparent stereo spread. A little goes a long way here

In the end, it would seem that the OPs issue wasn’t with the new cabs, but how he had his DAW monitoring set.

I guess some days are like that.

;-)

• Upvote 1