Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

3.50 and Reaper

adam79

The problem for me seems to be opening a Reaper project which was using an older version of Helix Native (at least a year old I think). If I create a fresh project and insert a new Helix Native plugin instance it seems fine. It will load the project and close reaper a couple seconds after; Reaper at least recognizes the project failed to load and gives a notification on the next startup to not open that project.

I currently have Reaper v6.69 and Helix Native 3.50 installed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2022 at 8:14 PM, rd2rk said:

If you can clarify that I'll try to duplicate it, but Reaper 6.69 hasn't crashed on me so far. 

Now I'm on Reaper 6.70 and Helix Native 3.50 is still crashing it. I created a blank project and opened every plugin (from my template) individually...and then just like it idle. The only time it ever crashed was when I had Helix opened. Every time Reaper eats it, It's from a completely different action in Helix...it could be anything from changing a parameter to opening a second instance, etc.

I'm not sure how I can reproduce something like this tho. Lmk if ya got any ideas.

On 11/19/2022 at 1:42 PM, adam79 said:

Now I'm on Reaper 6.70 and Helix Native 3.50 is still crashing it. I created a blank project and opened every plugin (from my template) individually...and then just like it idle. The only time it ever crashed was when I had Helix opened. Every time Reaper eats it, It's from a completely different action in Helix...it could be anything from changing a parameter to opening a second instance, etc.

I'm not sure how I can reproduce something like this tho. Lmk if ya got any ideas.

You still haven't clarified what "move a box" means. I assume you mean moving a block in a Native preset. I'm also on Reaper 6.70 and if that's what you mean, I can't duplicate the problem.

I've also tried a bunch of other things - moving sliders in the new cab block, assigning/controlling the Volume block, changing effect types in existing blocks, path routing, new blocks - nothing is crashing Native. Have you tried deleting the track and recreating it? Deleting the track, closing Reaper and uninstalling/reinstalling Native? Just spitballing here, I can't crash Reaper with Native no matter what I do, including making the above changes and letting it sit.

AH HA! I was looking for Native to totally crash out of Reaper. Apparently, something I did crashed the Reaper Audio Engine. I wasn't looking for that!

After closing Reaper and reloading it, the project totally crashed Reaper. I needed to open the project in safe mode to delete Native, after which the rest of the project was fine.

You've got a BUG! Open a Support Ticket and PLEASE report back!

• Upvote 2

On 11/19/2022 at 4:38 PM, rd2rk said:

AH HA! I was looking for Native to totally crash out of Reaper. Apparently, something I did crashed the Reaper Audio Engine. I wasn't looking for that!

After closing Reaper and reloading it, the project totally crashed Reaper. I needed to open the project in safe mode to delete Native, after which the rest of the project was fine.

You've got a BUG! Open a Support Ticket and PLEASE report back!

I'm not much on the technical side of things... I'm not sure how to phrase the support ticket, since I'm still not sure of the exact cause for the crash.

There are other reports of Reaper crashing with 3.50 Native. Check the dedicated Native forum.

https://line6.com/support/forum/90-helix-native/

I'm having crashes in Reaper also. 

My Reaper crashes when playing, not when inserting Native.

It crashes when Native receives midi input from another track, for snapshot changes or other parameter and only if Native window is visible. If I close the window it doesn't crash. Only happens since 3.50 update. 

Do you have any midi hardware connected to reaper? Or midi tracks? Is the track where you insert Native receiving any sort of midi instructions?

Unrelated to midi, maybe your Windows Security is protecting the folder where the vst or the rest of native is installed. Check if the controlled access folder is activated.

Or maybe get rid of any native install you have. And clean the old and new installation folders. Fresh install may solve the problem. Maybe it's a conflict with both versions installed, a VST vs VST3 conflict or some leftovers from the old version still present.

Always backup first.

Cheers

On 11/22/2022 at 7:51 AM, datacommando said:

This was posted in the Helix Native area of the forum.

See the last reply from “matsulli”.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Does it matter that the OP is on Windows, and I'm on Mac?

On 11/22/2022 at 5:14 AM, ppoceiro said:

There are other reports of Reaper crashing with 3.50 Native. Check the dedicated Native forum.

https://line6.com/support/forum/90-helix-native/

I'm having crashes in Reaper also. 

My Reaper crashes when playing, not when inserting Native.

It crashes when Native receives midi input from another track, for snapshot changes or other parameter and only if Native window is visible. If I close the window it doesn't crash. Only happens since 3.50 update. 

Do you have any midi hardware connected to reaper? Or midi tracks? Is the track where you insert Native receiving any sort of midi instructions?

Unrelated to midi, maybe your Windows Security is protecting the folder where the vst or the rest of native is installed. Check if the controlled access folder is activated.

Or maybe get rid of any native install you have. And clean the old and new installation folders. Fresh install may solve the problem. Maybe it's a conflict with both versions installed, a VST vs VST3 conflict or some leftovers from the old version still present.

Always backup first.

Cheers

Ya, I got a footswitch going it all the time (it's part of my template). I'll try removing it.

Also, I never keep a VST and VST3 version of the same plugin; just keep the VST3.

Thanks.

Ok. 

Is it an external midi footswitch sending midi to Native?

Please report back if its the footswitch causing your crashes.

I have an opened ticket with L6.

It would be "nice" if someone else has the same problem and has pinpointed the culprit.

On 11/22/2022 at 3:56 PM, adam79 said:

Does it matter that the OP is on Windows, and I'm on Mac?

Hi, Adam,

I missed the Mac OS bit. Oops!

Check the first post in this thread for the full uninstall routine for a Mac computer.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2022 at 7:39 PM, tborglum said:

To follow up on my earlier post and in response to the later ones: removing MIDI control going to Helix Native plugin instances fixed my crashing issues, which is a bummer.

Glad that fixed it for you, but MIDI to Native wasn't a problem (for me - PC) in 3.50 and isn't a problem in 3.51.

Something strange going on with your Reaper Projects, maybe a MAC thing? Have you tried the Cockos Forum for help with this?

On 12/2/2022 at 2:39 AM, tborglum said:

To follow up on my earlier post and in response to the later ones: removing MIDI control going to Helix Native plugin instances fixed my crashing issues, which is a bummer.

On 12/2/2022 at 5:50 AM, rd2rk said:

Glad that fixed it for you, but MIDI to Native wasn't a problem (for me - PC) in 3.50 and isn't a problem in 3.51.

Something strange going on with your Reaper Projects, maybe a MAC thing? Have you tried the Cockos Forum for help with this?

The crashes were happening only with the VST3 version. Only with the plugin window closed. Only with 3.50, not the previous.

I double checked everything.

The 3.51 update fixed the problem and it is the released notes.

L6 fixed it fast since I reported it very recently!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1