Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Very Noisy Fx Loop?

spawn2031

Just like the title says, seems I have a VERY noisy FX loop.  I've been trying to hunt down the reason I have been needing to run my gate with such a high threshold (up around 70%).  I started building a few test tones tonight and everything is all nice and quiet until I add that loop in then it goes nuts and I have to amp up my gate to compensate which seems to kill my sustain as well :(.  Is this normal??  I can't imagine that it is.  I am currently running a Morpheus Drop tune in the FX loop right now and am going to try and borrow another pedal that I know is good from a buddy to see if it's the pedal that's causing it.  Have any of you had this issue, know how to fix it or do I have a bad FX loop?

The fx loop is definitely noisy...how noisy will depend on what you're sticking in there, and whether or not you are placing it before or after the amp model. Some pedals are worse than others...not familar with that one specifically. And the gate will definitely eat your sustain.

You could drop some coin on a Variax and forget that pedal entirely. It'll do your tuning for you, and there's zero hum from piezos...most of the time you don't even need a gate...

• Upvote 1

Well that's good that my Pod is behaving as expected, sucks about the noisy FX loop though.  So when I used to use this in conjunction with my old UX1, I don't remember having to crank my noise gate up.  So, technically, where is the best place to put a drop tune pedal?  Before the pod or in the FX loop or does it matter at all?

Yeah that's where I've got it right now but damn it's noisy in that fx loop.  I think I am going to try it inline before the pod and see if the noise is any different.  I have noticed that when it's engaged it can kill my sustain/gain a bit as well.  If it works best this way, what effect do you think would be best to counteract that loss in sustain and gain?

1. I think that is what the person meant, put your effect before the POD, as you noted.

2. I would imagine a compressor/sustain pedal would do the trick.  I would try putting the compressor before or after the pedal and see which works best for you.  Unfortunately, it will likely increase the noise even more.  Try using maximum attack on the compressor and minimum compression, and use the minimum amount of sustain to get what you need to reduce the noise as much as possible.

I don't use one personally but I think either place is good. If you are saying your Tuner pedal sucks tone then try putting it in your FX loop and just connect the send to the pedal and nothing back to the POD.  Keep the FX loop off normally and turn it on with a FS when you want to use it.  The added benefit there is automatically muting the signal while you tune up and no noise!