Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

go to a different setlist without leaning over

PaulTBaker

I would love to be able to select a preset from another setlist... or just go to another setlist by hitting a stomp button.  Is there something like that available?

I was thinking about trying something in the command center... if I can assign a button to a preset in another setlist, then maybe I can create a preset that has a preset from each setlist... then clicking on that would take me to that setlist.  Going to try that tonight.

Would love to know if anyone else has done this.  Thanks.

• Upvote 1

That was a fun experiment!

Connect MIDI IN and OUT (or use a MIDI Routing SW if connected), turn off MIDI PC SEND and MIDI THRU (to prevent a MIDI LOOP).

Then set a FS to BANK/PROGRAM:

Bank CC00=0

BankCC32=Destination Bank# (0-7)

Program=Destination Program #

It works.

HOWEVER - if the destination preset contains a similar configuration wherever it points is where you'll end up.

In that case it seems to act like a toggling message or Instant Command, executing on preset load.

I expect this is the kind of "bug" that results from no one considering that anyone would ever want to do this, so it was never tested.

Helix users - pushing the boundaries!

NOTE and WARNING!: In the course of having all that fun I tried several combinations of Bank Select settings. Some of them crashed HX Edit and appeared to have corrupted one of the setlists. Fortunately, a simple reboot fixed it.

• Upvote 2

On 11/15/2022 at 6:23 PM, PaulTBaker said:

awesome.... guess i need to get over my fear of midi :)

People have been known to handle live rattlesnakes... walk on hot coals... walk around the neighborhood at night... well, that last one is pure foolishness, but you get my point! :-)

• Like 1

This is a no brainer if you're using an external MIDI controller which is what I use.  From the Helix Wiki Help site, if you press the presets button to open up the setlist menu and dial up the setlist and preset you want it will display the appropriate CC32 value for the setlist, the PC message number for the preset and the CC69 value for the snapshot.  Plug those values into your external MIDI controller to send to the Helix and it all happens like magic.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/15/2022 at 10:58 PM, theElevators said:

Command Center.  Have a preset that allows you to select the #1 preset in each setlist. 

I tried last night... I probably missed it, but command center would only let me pick a preset in the current setlist.  Would be great if I am wrong.

On 11/17/2022 at 10:32 AM, PaulTBaker said:

I tried last night... I probably missed it, but command center would only let me pick a preset in the current setlist.  Would be great if I am wrong.

To select a different setlist you use the CC32 setting, where a value 0f 0-7 = setlist 1-8.

This works well if you know that from this preset you'll want to be able to go to that preset in another setlist (keeping in mind my previous post about the shortcomings of this method), but personally I can't see where having a preset (used simply for changing setlists) available in every setlist so that you can press the Bank/Preset UP/DOWN buttons as many times as necessary to get to the preset which then takes you to a different setlist where you must press the Bank/Preset UP/DOWN buttons as many times as necessary to get to the desired preset is easier than bending down and using the Preset knob unless you have serious back problems, in which case an external MIDI controller would be a good investment.

But hey, whatever works for you! :-)

Oh, good to see the floor is still not that far for you.  It keeps getting further and further for me every day :)

I usually only use one or two presets during a gig.  I've toyed around with how I arrange my presets/setlists.  I have one I call amps.  I use that to store my presets I like/use for safe keeping.  I keep that sorted by amps.  I thought about having a setlist for my les paul and one for my tele/strat.... however, the bending down thing, I put the presets all in one setlist and use the first few banks for tele, next few banks for les paul.  

So in my case, i would not have to bank up/down a bunch to get to the "Setlist Change" preset.  I just thought it would be nice to be able to go anywhere (any setlist) using the peddles.

I'll have to get a midi cable and try your suggestion.  Thanks again!