Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Capacitive switches. What am I doing wrong?

llTheSystemll

Hello Everyone,

I cannot get my capacitive switches to function properly or at all. I am on 3.50 on my HX FX. I have set the switch to Both and also to Touch. From what I understand, I should able to press a button or simply touch a button when set to Both and just touch a button when set to Touch to select. Do I need to do a save after making the change? I did make a change to Touch and then power cycle the HX FX and my change from Both to Touch was kept.

I got this unit new in early November.   The first thing I did was to factory reset and upgrade to 3.50.    I finally got around to trying the capacitive switch feature.  I actually forgot about it but was reminded while watching a HX FX video.

I opened a ticket yesterday.   I did google searches and forum searches but came up with nothing.  Maybe I used the wrong terminology.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Thanks Brian

On 11/16/2022 at 8:30 PM, phil_m said:

What is it you’re trying to do with the switches? The touch setting just takes you to the edit screen for the effect assigned to that footswitch when you touch it, it doesn’t turn the effect on or off.

Thank Phil_M,

Re-assign blocks to different buttons.   Or like you described, editing. 

I do not expect the switches to wear out although I have read that in the older M-series, the switches could be an issue and lots of people had the switches upgraded.   So I figure using the Touch feature doesn't do any physical (wear and tear) on the actual switch, why not use it?

Brian

On 11/16/2022 at 5:19 PM, llTheSystemll said:

... The first thing I did was to factory reset and upgrade to 3.50.    I finally got around to trying the capacitive switch feature.  ...

Clutching at straws here as you were probably just indicating that you did both the factory reset and the upgrade, but... Did you do them in this order? Factory reset first and then the upgrade. If so, then you need to do another factory reset as the reset should follow the upgrade. Also, did you do a backup first and a restore following the factory reset? If not, then try doing a restore.

I would also try unplugging everything while testing the capacitive touch. Unlikely but maybe you have a cable/grounding issue that is interfering with it. 

If none of this works, I would do another backup, use the Line 6 Updater to reapply the 3.50 firmware, and then do the factory reset and restore.

" Did you do them in this order? Factory reset first and then the upgrade. If so, then you need to do another factory reset as the reset should follow the upgrade. Also, did you do a backup first and a restore following the factory reset? If not, then try doing a restore."

Thanks Honest.    I did not do a second factory restore.   I did do a backup prior to Restore.   I will do another and then another Restore.  If that works and I will load my backup and test again.

Brian

So I did a Restore from Backup.     Seeing something interesting.   I got the HX FX on 11/4.  As I noted, I did a Backup, upgrade to 3.50 then a  Factory Reset.

I then found a Steve Harms video where he shows his country guitar setup.  I like how it sounded.   I loaded it into Native, removed the AMP/Cab and saved it.  I then imported it using HX Edit.  I have been playing with it with no issues for a few weeks now.   I also did a copy/paste into a New Preset location, renamed the original and the one I pasted.   I do not recall what version Steve used to create the original if that matters.

After restoring from Backup,  I still see the presets I added as expected.  I can tweak them in HX Edit and all seems to work fine.  The changes are made to the HX FX.

What I see that is interesting is that if I go into Stomp mode, I only see one Block out 7 or so.   I can turn it On/Off by pressing the button.   I see that change in HX Edit.

Now when I hold the MODE button to get into Pedal edit mode,  I see all of the Blocks.    In Stomp mode,  I can swap the one Block to an empty by touching.  So that works but I do not see the other blocks.

Now if I do all of this with a Factory Preset,  it all looks like I would expect.   I suppose there is something in the way I created this and 3.50.

Am I missing something here?  I am going to manually recreate the Steve Harms Preset and see how that goes.

Brian

Forgot that Steve's preset has 4 Snapshots.   I find it odd that these cannot be renamed from HX Edit.  Seems pretty trivial to not allow this to be done in HX Edit.  Maybe on a Roadmap?   

I suppose the Bright side is that I am learning more and more about using the HX FX Buttons to do things.   

Brian

On 11/17/2022 at 4:24 PM, llTheSystemll said:

"you need to do another factory reset as the reset should follow the upgrade."

Drained it!   

I did a 2nd factory reset and the feature is now working.    Thanks so much.   Restoring my backup now.   Hopefully all is well after.

Brian

Glad to hear it!

• Like 1