Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Powercab used for acoustic show.....

rwinking

I am thinking of getting the 212 powercab for some live aacoustic stuff. Currently I am using one of the old trace Elliot acoustic amps which has a great preamp that I go into a little EV tower style PA. I am qondering if anyone here has used the powercab in conjunction with a Helix for acoustic stuff. I have both the stomp and Helix. What are you using in the way of Helix preamps for an acoustic (two pickup system with the Dimarzio Black Angel piezo/mag combo) and how are you setting it up?

thanks

rick

On 11/16/2022 at 4:54 PM, rwinking said:

I am thinking of getting the 212 powercab for some live aacoustic stuff. Currently I am using one of the old trace Elliot acoustic amps which has a great preamp that I go into a little EV tower style PA. I am qondering if anyone here has used the powercab in conjunction with a Helix for acoustic stuff. I have both the stomp and Helix. What are you using in the way of Helix preamps for an acoustic (two pickup system with the Dimarzio Black Angel piezo/mag combo) and how are you setting it up?

thanks

rick

It works amazing well for acoustic patches, but it has far more to do with what your Helix/Stomp is packing than what the Powercab has. It just amplifies it all nice and pretty. 

For me, it's always a pretty simple chain. I generally follow the @PeterHamm school of thought and if you need ideas he has some great youtube videos and some patches you can buy. 

The core of what I do is typically a mic pre-amp, some sprinklings of EQ, wet effects (whatever is desired) ending on reverb and finally an LA2A at the end of the chain. Often if I can find a good IR of an acoustic model I slap it in the chain. Again, I got some a long time ago from one of Peter's presets and I've never needed much after that. Here's a video from his channel if you want to dig in deeper. He knows how to make an acoustic patch sing. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Kilrahi! I just picked up the 212 today an can't wait to try it out. Finding a nice acoustic pre amp is just what I am looking for along with eq and a nice stereo verb. Will def check out the videos now that I have the unit. Even though the 212 is not very wide, I am sure the stereo will sound cool. I also  think that using the tweeters will help with an aooustic. I'll et you know how it plays out!

thanks again.

rick

• Like 1

So I have this solo guitar gig coming up and I am going to use the PC with my HX Stomp XL. I have been messing with it and it is pretty amazing. I am taking an L-5 Custom for some jazz stuff and a Kopp D for my acoustic stuff. I started messing with IRs for the acoustic sound and I have to admit that it is incerdible. I use the Power Cab FRFR. The Kopp D has a Dimarzio Black ANgel system and I am running stereo out into a K&K pre and then into the HX Stomp. I put in a D-28 IR and then the Helix tube pre and then FX, EQ Compression, etc. I have been at this a long time and always looking for the perfect acoustic sound and I think this is finally it.

• Like 1