Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Who needs stomp box mode?

leonardoborges

On 11/18/2022 at 11:29 AM, DunedinDragon said:

Because you only need to turn on and off one or more effects with no modifications to their settings, or want it unlatched so it's only on when you're depressing it, or you only want to send a simple MIDI message, or....well there's plenty of other reasons.

The MIDI use case is a good one. I have used it for that when exploring NeuralDSP plugins in GigPerformer. 

- Stomp mode allows me to do some things snapshots don't. For instance, split modules can't be excluded from snapshot bypass, but I may want just that (in fact, I do want just that).

- Along similar lines, stomp mode allows me to control block(s) patchwide. I can for example add a global boost with a stomp set to snapshot bypass.

- Stomp mode allows me to use the capacitive switches to quickly navigate to the controlled block(s).

- Stomp mode allows Floor users to have 10 of them, whereas there's just 8 snaphots (which IMO is a really stupid limitation, why aren't there 10 snapshots as well?).

When I had the Floor, I usually used the 4 stomp, 4 snapshots mode (and always wished it was 5/5, which would as well be possible).

On 11/17/2022 at 6:17 PM, leonardoborges said:

When would you use the stomp box mode instead of snapshots?

When your tone is in place and you only need to kick on a single effect, often for a quick passage. Sure... you can duplicate the snapshot to include that single effect, but that eats up snapshots pretty quickly. Fine for some, not for everyone. 

There are several benefits to each option on the Helix. That's why we have presets, snapshots and stomp mode. We can all choose what works best for ourselves. 

Stomp mode has more permutations of all the effects potentially. 

I also don't see the point in it, snapshots are the way to go, if you use a preset-per-song approach.  There should not be any case of not having enough snapshots to cover the sounds your song needs...

I use a combination.  Sometimes if I have only a single effect to change, I dont feel like making a separate snapshot for it.  Case in point, in my Stone Temple PIlots tribute we do the song Lady Picture Show.  In the chorus there is an overdubbed guitar with a rotary/leslie type sound in the chorus.  Rather than create a new snapshot, I just set button 7 to be a momentary stomp switch, I hold it down for the time I need the effect (2 seconds) and then let off.  

Could it be done in a snapshots, sure, but then my snapshot OCD would kick in and Im not sure where I would place in my song/preset template for the button layout.  Where as the Stomp button stands out amongst the snapshots and is usually placed away from the snapshot buttons.  

To each their own.

On 11/18/2022 at 9:09 AM, SaschaFranck said:

I never did that, so stomp switches have been paramount for me.

Well, for example, my lead sound consists of an EQ, delay and wah.  I hit one button and all of those are on with snapshots.  I hit another button, all of them are off. 

With stomp mode, I'd need to turn on all of them individually (unless all are again assigned to the same button....).  I have 60 presets at this point with this approach. 

On 11/18/2022 at 3:37 PM, theElevators said:

Well, for example, my lead sound consists of an EQ, delay and wah.  I hit one button and all of those are on with snapshots.  I hit another button, all of them are off. 

I do the same with one switch. Freeing up snapshots for other tasks.

On 11/18/2022 at 3:37 PM, theElevators said:

I have 60 presets at this point with this approach.

All throughout 3-4 years of using the Floor exclusively as my live rig, I used 3-4 presets.

Thats cool.... I use stomp mode because it just gives you more buttons.  I use mine sort of like a pedal board.  I have stomps that turn some things on/off, some are set to multiple controls.... I have snapshots that turn things on and off that I didn't have room for in stomp.  I also use the snapshots to change rev and delay settings.

Helix is great in that you can really make it work the way you want it.  For example, I don't do the preset per song thing, however, I can definitely see how that would be great in certain situations.   I was never good enough (focused enough?) to learn the songs exactly.  I like to get the gist of it but adapt it to what I'm doing.  I always appreciate the talent to get things just right... the sound, the feel, etc.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 2:23 AM, SaschaFranck said:

split modules can't be excluded from snapshot bypass

Y'know, I'm not even sure if I was aware that Split blocks could be bypassed at all. And ya, I checked it out and you can't disable Snapshot Bypass on Split blocks, but you can disable Snapshot Control. Wonder what the logic is there...