Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 Pod XT Live powers JTVs or just old Variaxes, like my 700 Bass?

sornord

I've been trying to get spare hardware for my recently purchased Variaxes (a JTV-59 and a 700 Bass.)  I've been able to sort out I can use the bass's XPS-DI with the JTV-59.  I'd like one, CURRENTLY SUPPORTED, power source for BOTH my variaxes.  Helix equipment is too expensive.  Are there other, older products that will fit this bill, perhaps the Line 6 Pod XT Live?  I can find those used for reasonable prices.  Still looking for VDI to USB adaptors and JTV batteries too, by the way.

Each Variax is an iteration of different technologies. The 700 Bass came out with the original Variax (the one with no pickups). If you just want power for them, you'll need to find an XPS-DI which are not made anymore. As you found it will work for both. You'll have to find a used one. Fortunately the bass uses AA batteries so if you invest in some rechargable ones you'll be good. You do need 6 (or 12 if you want to have another bunch to stand by, fully charged) so it's a little pricey initially but they last a long time. There's a thread that addresses the JTV power supply and in it, someone created and internal power supply for it using a DC-DC switching power supply here's a pic

2140430453_V600DCbuckjpg.thumb.jpg.8182f73136a33d96f84fa4fc5a8356c5.jpg

Here's the thread it's in from the JTV Variax forum.

On warning, if you are using the VDI to power your Variax from a Line 6 modeler, DO NOT also use the 1/4" out at the same time. It can work but there is a great potential for it to brick your Variax. Hope this helps.

This was posted recently at the JTV forum on the thread I previously linked. Looks good. I think I'll get one.

WARNING! Non-Line6 products will void your warranty!

OK, now that's out of the way, I recently purchased a Variax 300 and needed a power supply. I bought one from here https://www.ebay.ca/itm/394012304176?hash=item5bbcf6a330:g:CSIAAOSwtuZiZrJg&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoMguJeGZ8cSNGbIf5KOmOE4pfFik9zonkIuKO7ufWs2NRG5ikt6HG1DtQ3pnD6t%2F%2BtSKKvcn0OskIS%2B7aEV0hkx9z8aCJsHnqAYwKPYS%2FxS6b4KciT7CmPQPTfwS%2FvTWz3ihcZzWjorU81BqdVQ2bNc7wnP1dsk%2BT38Idw4aO7cyZ2PD94KVcX%2F7LuHhWtX8rAoc47VUdIkC9tXJ06MRyro%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5bb9r2SYQ

and it works like a charm. Also, his pedal has a switch to change from 9vc to 7.5 for the newer ones.

Totally recommend his pedal!

On 11/17/2022 at 10:43 PM, sornord said:

I've been trying to get spare hardware for my recently purchased Variaxes (a JTV-59 and a 700 Bass.)  I've been able to sort out I can use the bass's XPS-DI with the JTV-59.  I'd like one, CURRENTLY SUPPORTED, power source for BOTH my variaxes.  Helix equipment is too expensive.  Are there other, older products that will fit this bill, perhaps the Line 6 Pod XT Live?  I can find those used for reasonable prices.  Still looking for VDI to USB adaptors and JTV batteries too, by the way.

A POD XT Live with a VDI cable/connection will power both your Variaxes. It will probably also provide additional control over the 700 Bass, but will not fully support your JTV (no alternate tuning control, perhaps limited model selection control). The  XT Live is currently supported by Line 6 as a Legacy product under the following terms:

https://line6.com/support/announcement/108-limited-support-of-legacy-products/

On 11/21/2022 at 6:02 AM, silverhead said:

A POD XT Live with a VDI cable/connection will power both your Variaxes. It will probably also provide additional control over the 700 Bass, but will not fully support your JTV (no alternate tuning control, perhaps limited model selection control). The  XT Live is currently supported by Line 6 as a Legacy product under the following terms:

https://line6.com/support/announcement/108-limited-support-of-legacy-products/

Just to be clear, you do not want to use the 1/4" output on your guitar while using the VDI cable to power it. I know this to be true with the JTV. Not as sure about the 700 Bass but I believe it was recommended not to do this with this version of Variax as well. You would have to use an FX send to get your Variax signal out of the XT from being powered by the XT.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got an X3 Live a couple of days ago and works great with my JTV.  Will try it with the bass in a day or two.  Tnx for your input.  I also bought a couple of XPS Minis so am good to go power-wise I think.  This X3 looks like a beast!

On 12/1/2022 at 2:50 PM, sornord said:

Got an X3 Live a couple of days ago and works great with my JTV.  Will try it with the bass in a day or two.  Tnx for your input.  I also bought a couple of XPS Minis so am good to go power-wise I think.  This X3 looks like a beast!

After the Helix, Fractal, Kemper, etc. and all of the iterations of the latest in modelling, one of my recommendations would definitely be the X3. You can get in cheap and it has all of the old (but good) modelling and is totally the equivalent of two POD XT's side by side in one package.