Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT Volume / exp pedal stopped working after 3.5

kaibinger82

Hi lad, ladies and everything in between 

I have this weird bug with my Helix LT. Volume/exp pedal simply stopped working after updating to 3.5. 

I'm fairly convinced it's a software thing, since the unit is bought second hand and seller actually told me the pedal didnt work. He then flashed old firmware 3.11(?) and sold it - et violá, the pedal worked just fine when i received the unit. 

Until now. 

So - anyone else experienced this? When i do hardware test mode (buttons 3-4) there's no response from neither sweep nor pedal clicks.

My LT expression is working fine since the 3.5 update.... no different than ever.  If the seller told you it didn't work, and it arrived working - you got lucky for a short time frame. It could be as simple as a bad connection internally or it could be a bigger problem. IMO, it needs service. 

If you are convinced the update killed it... when you updated the firmware did you do the "backup > factory reset > restore" from the instructions? Updates will adjust the global settings... a factory reset will initialize the entire machine... a restore brings it all back to a familiar operating state.

• Upvote 2

Use 3.11. Problem solved. 

Line 6 has a lot of weird bugs some people experience, and yet others can never replicate.  Like sole people say knob 4 stopped working after 3.5. How?  Makes no sense. 

Why I’m staying with 3.11:

*a ll my presets (60) work great with it; don’t have any need to update all 60 of them with dual cabs and then have to tweak everything all over again. 

* it's the most stable firmware version

* ain’t broke, don’t fix 

On 11/25/2022 at 8:26 PM, adauria said:

I'm convinced the 3.5 update killed one of my parameter knobs, but downgrading didn't solve it so who knows.... 

Interesting concept!

Mechanical devices (parameter knobs) could fail at anytime. I’ve yet to encounter an incident where a software update (firmware) totally fries the Helix hardware.

Following on from your conviction that the latest update “killed” your parameter knob, I would have anticipated this would be more widely reported than your suspicions. The interwebs should be alive with reports of “Tree Fiddy broke my (insert as applicable) on my Helix. 

Mmm… software or mechanical? Simple co-incidence? You decide.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

On 11/25/2022 at 7:22 PM, datacommando said:

Interesting concept!

Mechanical devices (parameter knobs) could fail at anytime. I’ve yet to encounter an incident where a software update (firmware) totally fries the Helix hardware.

Following on from your conviction that the latest update “killed” your parameter knob, I would have anticipated this would be more widely reported than your suspicions. The interwebs should be alive with reports of “Tree Fiddy broke my (insert as applicable) on my Helix. 

Mmm… software or mechanical? Simple co-incidence? You decide.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Yep, trying to figure that out. 1 other user claimed the same thing happened (there's a thread here on it that I started). Could be coincidence, but it seems odds. Still, coincidences happen. They could happen to 2 of us during the same process. Or not! 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2022 at 8:52 PM, adauria said:

Yep, trying to figure that out. 1 other user claimed the same thing happened (there's a thread here on it that I started). Could be coincidence, but it seems odds. Still, coincidences happen. They could happen to 2 of us during the same process. Or not! 

X-File!

:-o

On 11/25/2022 at 2:26 PM, adauria said:

I'm convinced the 3.5 update killed one of my parameter knobs, but downgrading didn't solve it so who knows.... 

I'm surprised it's not mentioned here but the encoder ballistics changed in the 3.5 update . It is quite possible that a faulty/misbehaving encoder is being exposed by the new update. I would expect downgrading to fix that... when you downgraded did you do a factory reset to make sure the Helix was fully initialized? That is an important step whether you are upgrading or downgrading. 

Of course.. the encoder could have simply failed at an inopportune time. IMO... it's like taking the car to the mechanic and coming home with a new problem. As much as we want to say the mechanic broke it....99% of the time it's nothing more than coincidence. 

On 11/27/2022 at 7:27 AM, codamedia said:

I'm surprised it's not mentioned here but the encoder ballistics changed in the 3.5 update . It is quite possible that a faulty/misbehaving encoder is being exposed by the new update. I would expect downgrading to fix that... when you downgraded did you do a factory reset to make sure the Helix was fully initialized? That is an important step whether you are upgrading or downgrading. 

Of course.. the encoder could have simply failed at an inopportune time. IMO... it's like taking the car to the mechanic and coming home with a new problem. As much as we want to say the mechanic broke it....99% of the time it's nothing more than coincidence. 

Yep, I thought the same thing. I loved the way the knobs worked after the updated, except, of course, the one that stopped working. Makes sense that if there's an issue with that feature update that would happen potentially. Anyway, when I downgraded it brought it back to a factory set of patches, but I don't think I did a separate factory reset (even though it was, essentially, factory state). It's worth another shot though - thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to 1) backup, 2) downgrade, 3) factory reset, 4) retest it. I'll let this forum know how it goes. I agree - if it's a bug, downgrade should solve it, UNLESS there's a remnant in there I need to blow out again after a downgrade with another factory reset. Can't hurt, anyway. 

On 11/30/2022 at 4:40 AM, kaibinger82 said:

Guess I'm lucky then, that its only the expression pedal :-D

Would think there'd be some bug fix updates arriving at some point. 

Let's keep it in context.... you bought a USED Helix where the seller told you the expression pedal DIDN'T WORK! You got lucky that it worked at all when it arrived. A bug update is not likely to fix your problem... having the expression pedal fixed is more likely to work.   

Don't get me wrong... I know bugs exist. But think about it.... this is being described as a hardware killing bug yet it only affects a small handful of users? The encoders mentioned here could be explained by the "encoder ballistic" change in 3.5. Not that 3.5 killed the encoders, it is simply exposed the failing ones. Your pedal is not in the same camp.... it was failing before you bought it, and the seller told you that. 

I'd be looking for a dirty sensor or a faulty ribbon connection. Both are quite common in electronics. The sensor in the LT is particularly exposed compared to the Helix floor... sunlight from the wrong angle will cause headaches and I know that from several shows over the past few years. If the SUN can see the sensor... dirt, dust, grime can see the sensor. 

• Upvote 2

On 11/30/2022 at 1:55 PM, codamedia said:

Let's keep it in context.... you bought a USED Helix where the seller told you the expression pedal DIDN'T WORK! You got lucky that it worked at all when it arrived. A bug update is not likely to fix your problem... having the expression pedal fixed is more likely to work.   

Don't get me wrong... I know bugs exist. But think about it.... this is being described as a hardware killing bug yet it only affects a small handful of users? The encoders mentioned here could be explained by the "encoder ballistic" change in 3.5. Not that 3.5 killed the encoders, it is simply exposed the failing ones. Your pedal is not in the same camp.... it was failing before you bought it, and the seller told you that. 

I'd be looking for a dirty sensor or a faulty ribbon connection. Both are quite common in electronics. The sensor in the LT is particularly exposed compared to the Helix floor... sunlight from the wrong angle will cause headaches and I know that from several shows over the past few years. If the SUN can see the sensor... dirt, dust, grime can see the sensor. 

I found a video of about the issue of faulty pedals and tried opening the thing up. Light works just fine and there's no real visible issue at cause. I think for this one, it wasnt just luck, or rather being unlucky.