Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Are there any known HX Product family problems using Mac OS Ventura

MartinDorr

I searched this thread and could not find any unresolved Helix family product problems using or upgrading to MAC OS Ventura. Any experiences to the contrary? I realize using Ventura might be a bit early, but I may soon have to upgrade to Ventura for other SW.

• 2 months later...

Really? That's good news but I'm confused as to why no announcement from Line6...or anyone else saying it was working.

I'm on Intel I9 MBP/Monterey and use HXNative for MainStage and Logic. It's the only reason I haven't upgraded to Ventura yet.

• Confused 1

On 1/27/2023 at 12:46 PM, avanveld said:

Really? That's good news but I'm confused as to why no announcement from Line6...or anyone else saying it was working.

It is mentioned in the release notes for 3.50 FW and HX Edit. Not very obvious, but they list Ventura as supported.

On 1/27/2023 at 7:46 PM, avanveld said:

Really? That's good news but I'm confused as to why no announcement from Line6.

From the v.3.50 Firmware download page - right next to the “Get Download” button!

Compatible OS: Mac OS X, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Mac OS El Capitan, macOS Sierra, macOS High Sierra, macOS Mojave, macOS Catalina, macOS Big Sur, macOS Monterey, Windows 11, macOS Ventura

Hope this helps/makes sense.

I'd missed that apparently...as before the news here was what I was looking for.

The unintended side effect of my MacOs upgrade now is that my Apogee GIO which has not had a driver update since Catalina (I think) now is no longer working. MainStage sees it and gets audio in from the guitar jack but doesn't recognize any button presses or CC for volume changes so I have to replace that pronto (and make a new Concert for whatever I get).

On 1/30/2023 at 2:18 PM, avanveld said:

I'd missed that apparently...as before the news here was what I was looking for.

The unintended side effect of my MacOs upgrade now is that my Apogee GIO which has not had a driver update since Catalina (I think) now is no longer working. MainStage sees it and gets audio in from the guitar jack but doesn't recognize any button presses or CC for volume changes so I have to replace that pronto (and make a new Concert for whatever I get).

The entire OS/software/driver/obsolescence is becoming a plague really.

I just moved from PC to a Mac for music, and promised myself that as soon as I've a stable platform with all my plugins, drivers and OS working fine together, I will just stop updating, no matter what. That's the only way to keep control of your stuff, without being derailed by the update/upgrade dopamine addiction..

• Upvote 1

On 1/30/2023 at 1:18 PM, avanveld said:

The unintended side effect of my MacOs upgrade now is that my Apogee GIO which has not had a driver update since Catalina (I think) now is no longer working.

Hi,

The Apogee Gio Support page states that:- GiO is not compatible with macOS 10.15 Catalina.

I would imagine that Apogee now regard the Gio as a Legacy product, even though it isn't listed a such. AFAIK, It was released to specifically work with Mac OS 10.5.7 and Logic Pro 9 both of which arrived 2009.

I guess you're out of luck with getting the Gio to work on your new Ventura Mac. Although, they are still available to buy new on Amazon in the UK - Caveat emptor!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Apogee-GiO-Studio-quality-interface-controller/dp/B002XG4ZXM

• Upvote 1

the GIO would still work (except the 5 lights by each foot switch) until Ventura.

Bought a new Keith McMillen 12 Step yesterday and I at least have it working.

still have to do the graphical part of the MS Concert so it looks right but does work

peace

• Upvote 1

On 1/30/2023 at 8:18 AM, avanveld said:

I encountered the same problem. Too bad, it's still a nice unit. But it's too limited for modern foot controller use. It has fixed MIDI messages and sends press release messages on every switch activation. I've been able to make it work in Logic Pro and MainStage, but it's not simple or convenient. I use an MC8 now. 

• Upvote 1

I'd looked at the MC8 as a possible replacement but one of the things I'd like to do is replicate the way the colored LEDs on the GIO above each of the 5 stomp switches could be mirrored from MainStage (even if just turned on, color not a requirement but a wish).

The 12Step has little LEDs by each switch but I cannot crack how to send messages out from MS (the 12Step manual has the CC#'s for this and they say it can be done).

OR maybe in the MC8's display there would be a way for each label to change if that switch was pressed?

The Nektar Pacer is interesting w/ the full scribble strips at each pedal but I'd have to resolve that as well from HXN or MS concert.

update...poking around this afternoon and made a discovery.

I can make a secondary mapping to a screen control that goes to the pedalboard.....

- add external midi instrument channel strip

- assign MIDI output to my pedalboard (12 Step, port 1 in this case)

- make secondary mapping to that instrument, 'midi controller', CC value of the LED

- have to set off/on to 0 and 1 (not 127) and make it latching

Only problem is it will not light the LED associated w/ the pedal I'm pressing BUT I can light an LED for a pedal I'm not touching.

I've asked 12Step support but we'll see.

My initial hope was to simply make a delay setting in the channel strip like you could on a digital console - not an FX delay plug-in but I couldn't make that work....yet.

Does give hope in the event that I build my own or maybe try on of the others.

Does not reveal a way I could send text to a scribble strip on something like the Nektar Pacer or the large display on the MC8 

I just got an M2 pro mac mini that shipped with OS ventura. I went to install HX Edit for my stomp, and I got a popup that said I need to install Rosetta. I did not proceed with the installation. So, from what I have read above it is not necessary to install rosetta to run hx edit and native on mac silicon with OS ventura?