Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Does Helix have modifiers?

Brass67

Hello, not looking for any flame wars, hopefully just some data.

Does the Helix have modifiers similar to the FAS AxeIII?

By that I mean (for example) something that could track pitch and thereby control the mix % of delay.

I read through the manual and didn't see anything, nor did I see anything anywhere on the net.

Thanks in advance for any help. 

When you download the manual there's an "Easter Egg" on the DL page.

Once you've found it you'll be asked for a special code which only you know.

You'll then be allowed to DL the REAL manual, with all the top-secret special sauce settings and key combinations needed to get at them.

;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

• Haha 2

On 11/29/2022 at 5:28 PM, Brass67 said:

By that I mean (for example) something that could track pitch and thereby control the mix % of delay.

There is nothing like that in the Helix that I am aware of. There are some effects which can be controlled by dynamics, and there is a "split" that can be controlled by dynamics that can get really creative... but not a "modifier" in the manner you are describing. 

On 11/29/2022 at 5:29 PM, Brass67 said:

Seriously? Is this a joke?

I don't know of any code and I'm not aware of how to find any Easter egg.

Would be nice to just be able to know if the unit functions as requested and how to make it function as such. 

See those ;-) things scrawled across the bottom of my reply? Those are winky faces. How do you live from day to day without a sense of humor?

If Helix had the things you're asking for, would they NOT put them in BOLD print in the manual so that EVERYBODY would know that Helix has ALL the features that hardly anybody uses in the FAS devices after they realize that most of them are so subtle as to be a waste of time? Except, of course the members of the "Golden Ears" club, who would have no trouble finding the "Easter Egg". Heck, most people don't use the "Deep" features that Helix DOES have!

;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) 

• Haha 1

On 11/30/2022 at 2:02 AM, rd2rk said:

that hardly anybody uses in the FAS devices after they realize that most of them are so subtle as to be a waste of time?

Guitarists being the most conservative branch of musicians, I'm quite sure hardly anybody is using them - but subtle?!? I could post some things that are as far away from subtle as it gets, maybe using Guitar Rig (which is a modifying/modulation monster) instead of a FAS unit.

And yes, I really wish that the HX-verse would offer modifiers/modulators. You can do most incredible stuff with those things.

• Upvote 1

On 11/29/2022 at 7:11 PM, SaschaFranck said:

Guitarists being the most conservative branch of musicians, I'm quite sure hardly anybody is using them - but subtle?!? I could post some things that are as far away from subtle as it gets, maybe using Guitar Rig (which is a modifying/modulation monster) instead of a FAS unit.

And yes, I really wish that the HX-verse would offer modifiers/modulators. You can do most incredible stuff with those things.

Always liked Guitar Rig for that purpose. Folks who like that sort of thing buy FAS. And Earthquaker pedals. Roland Guitar Synths.

Most people, on either platform, just wanna rock. Maybe get a little ambient/psychedelic once in a while.

To spend hours tweaking weird noises might be fun for some, but most of us are never even going to max out the weird noises the Helix IS capable of.

Also, very small audience for non-subtle weirdness. More often than not, hard to dance to!

With apologies to the OP, I was thinking more in terms of the "deep amp parameters" when I mentioned "subtle".

That's what most people mean when they talk about what Helix doesn't have vs FAS. Yawn.

On 11/29/2022 at 5:02 PM, rd2rk said:

See those ;-) things scrawled across the bottom of my reply? Those are winky faces. How do you live from day to day without a sense of humor?

If Helix had the things you're asking for, would they NOT put them in BOLD print in the manual so that EVERYBODY would know that Helix has ALL the features that hardly anybody uses in the FAS devices after they realize that most of them are so subtle as to be a waste of time? Except, of course the members of the "Golden Ears" club, who would have no trouble finding the "Easter Egg". Heck, most people don't use the "Deep" features that Helix DOES have!

;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) 

(Claps hands enthusiastically)
Yaaaaay for the armchair/keyboard funnyman tough guy!!!

How do you get along every day being so antagonistic? Does it make you feel special, mighty, proud... or??? As you don't know me...are you just unable to refrain from saying ignorant things about someone you know nothing about? Or is it some sort of chest puffing for show in front of your home crowd (I noticed somebody else hit the laughing emoji)?

And why the digs at Fractal people?
Sure, there's always potential for silly flame wars between the two camps. But I came in politely (without knowing anyone's personality, the lingo and op basis around here etc) and insinuated that I didn't want to ruffle anyone's feathers. I didn't come in here bad mouthing anyone or the Helix product.

I have an FAS AxeIII...but I'm considering a Helix rack for a separate project. I'm definitely not going to allow something someone says to influence a purchase or not (not only do I have humor, but I've got quite thick skin as well), but...way to go bro, you definitely didn't make a sa
le this time....LOLOL [<-- see that, humor ;-)]

• Upvote 1

On 11/29/2022 at 7:04 PM, rd2rk said:

With apologies to the OP, I was thinking more in terms of the "deep amp parameters" when I mentioned "subtle".

That's what most people mean when they talk about what Helix doesn't have vs FAS. Yawn.

Appreciate the apology, but I did make it clear in the OP.

And I'm not here to debate what the Helix can or can't do versus what the AxeIII can or can't do. I honestly don't care about any of that.

This particular feature (I was inquiring about) is quite useful for the challenged guitarist that I am. It simply allows a modifier to track the guitar pitch and adjust delay mix accordingly. This saves my less than stellar ability to hit buttons at certain times...in proper time. The delay just morphs into being on... more and more...the higher the pitch.

If the Helix can do something like that, fantastic. If it can't, no worries. 

On 11/30/2022 at 4:04 AM, rd2rk said:

Also, very small audience for non-subtle weirdness.

Thing is, modifiers can be used for all sorts of purposes. Yeah, you can use an LFO controlling filter frequency with the LFO intensity itself being controlled through an expression pedal - and I'd agree that there's not a huge audience for that kinda stuff (Guthrie Govan doesn't mind, though...), but you could as well just use things to, say, increase the dynamics of an amp. Modulate gain with input level and you'll end up with the most dynamic overdrive ever. Want your modulation to only kick in once you pick softer? No problem. And so on. The possibilities are endless.

• Like 1

You really don't have a sense of humor. How sad.

Thin skinned, too!

I said nothing negative about FAS or FAS people.

All of that is based on what FAS owners (and former owners) have said in other forums.

And what many Helix owners say - WTF is BIAS X and who cares anyway?

I LIKE freaky noises. It's one reason I play electric guitar.

If I could afford it, I'd have a AFXIII and a GT1000 too!

I said nothing negative about you. On the contrary, your lack of humor led YOU to insult ME!

Dude, you're taking yourself WAY too seriously!

I'm having a bit of a laugh and YOU'VE turned it into a war!

RELAX! CRANK IT UP! Grab a big ol' A5 and stick those pickups RIGHT UP AGAINST THE GRILL!

Everything's better with MASSIVE FEEDBACK!

Trust me on that!

;-)

@datacommando- deja vu much?

On 11/30/2022 at 12:15 AM, SaschaFranck said:

Thing is, modifiers can be used for all sorts of purposes. Yeah, you can use an LFO controlling filter frequency with the LFO intensity itself being controlled through an expression pedal - and I'd agree that there's not a huge audience for that kinda stuff (Guthrie Govan doesn't mind, though...), but you could as well just use things to, say, increase the dynamics of an amp. Modulate gain with input level and you'll end up with the most dynamic overdrive ever. Want your modulation to only kick in once you pick softer? No problem. And so on. The possibilities are endless.

Indeed, and weird can definitely be fun without necessarily going full-on Adrian Belew.

Funny you should mention GG. He doesn't use many FX, just flat out plays his a$$ off!

Modifiers aren't for lazy lollipop, but they bring your stuff next level.

Also through modifiers you can basically build your own effect logic, changing its behaviour.

I do for example love big reverbs, but I hate the boomy mess they do when you are phrasing, so just throwing a slew limiter and I get portamento applied to reverb params, leaving you alone when you are doing busy playing, and smoothly raising/falling when there is the right room to do so. You could even use logic through comparators, to trigger whatever change you want in your sound, or pedal status, when something specific happens to the signal; like a note, or a target level, etc...

It's niche (who cares), but it's lot of fun.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 9:23 AM, PierM said:

Also through modifiers you can basically build your own effect logic, changing its behaviour.

Precisely. And it goes all the way from just some enhancements to form certain sounds to be better suitable/playable to full stop FX madness.

I still remember when I was checking out a laptop setup for some musical gig back in the days (a rather safe thing as everything happened in a cosy orchestra pit). Been using Guitar Rig and while the amps were pretty much lackluster and not even remotely as dynamic as I wanted them to be, that could be adjusted quite a bit by using input level as a modulation source for some parameters (mainly drive but I also modulated the tone stack a bit, from what I remember). At the very same gig, for some underscore moment, I also used a filter modulated by a step envelope, running into 2-3 nested delays, some parameters again being modulated through an expression pedal so I could seamlessly blend between a rather agressive chopped sound and some wobbly delay goodness. Defenitely nothing for the faint hearted, setting just this single patch up so it actually turned into something useable took quite a while. But I guess with a proper modulation matrix things could be done much faster.

• Upvote 1

On 11/30/2022 at 6:54 AM, Brass67 said:

I noticed somebody else hit the laughing emoji

Yep!

That would be me.

"Seriously? Is this a joke?"

Hmm... Yes it is!

I have been around here long enough to be able to spot when someone, especially "rd2rk",  sticks a whole bunch of "winky faces" across the bottom of comment it's intended to be taken as light hearted.