Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Recording Limits

Recorded part of a gig on SD card last night.  I was playing and a buddy who's not as smart on the system was running sound so my info for the post is second hand.

Using a 64G SD card, freshly formatted, Made 3 recordings. One short test recording, then the first set, then the second and part of the third on a single recording.  In the third longer recording, the recording stopped and the sound man was unable to restart it. He was unable to relay the warning dialogue that the mixer gave him to me and I didn't find out about it until the gig was over so my info is somewhat incomplete.

Here's the data I have though.  I recorded all inputs and the main mix.  The SD card currently shows 44GB available, and 14GB used.

The first file is only 12 MB.

Second file is 3.6 GB and recorded no problem

Third file is 10.64 GB and is the one that kicked off

Largest individual track in the third file is 1.42 GB (the stereo mix).  I didn't get anywhere near the 4 hr limit.  Maybe 2 hr max on the third recording.

Any ideas on what could have gone wrong or what I can do to prevent it in the future?

As an aside, this was my third gig with the system and my band mates are for the most part blown away by the speakers.  Pretty sure they're all going to buy some more here pretty soon for their other band projects and also because they work so well with my system.

My old soundman has even broken down and put his Allen and Heath GL2400 up for sale.

Simple really... stop trying to prove to be the exception to the rule.

Line6 quote class 10, 32GB capacity "SDHC" cards are the limit.

To have a 64GB card, you've got an SDXC card which, although some people seem to have gotten them to work, is almost always the cards that cause problems for people.

I have TWO SAMSUNG 32GB SDHC cards and BOTH have worked perfectly EVERY time including one which has been out, into a PC, out again and into a MAC, then back into the M20 and recorded our last nights gig both sets (45min + 1hr).

It's a little like the wireless dongles... Line6 give advice. If you choose not to follow that advice, don't blame the M20 if it doesn't always go smoothly.

• Upvote 2

To follow up, used the same 32GB Samsung SD card this weekend after having deleted some files on the PC and everything recorded perfectly.

Wow that's great because usually when I would have a problem if I did not delete those files with the m20d, I have made three-hour in one shot recordings and had no problem but if I had deleted any files on a PC or Mac and then put it back and the m20d it would not work correctly.

As a sidenote four hours is the longest you can do one consecutive recording you could have several recordings at four hours on the 64-gig card and wouldn't have any problem.

Simple really... stop trying to prove to be the exception to the rule.

Line6 quote class 10, 32GB capacity "SDHC" cards are the limit.

To have a 64GB card, you've got an SDXC card which, although some people seem to have gotten them to work, is almost always the cards that cause problems for people.

SiWatts, How 'bout citing where your "quote" comes from because my search couldn't find that in the manual.  Additionally I mentioned this in another thread and no one named Line6 responded that 32GB was the design limit.  The advanced guide's statement on SD card requirements is quite short, and mentions neither a maximum size of the card or SDXC or SDHC.

SiWatts, How 'bout citing where your "quote" comes from because my search couldn't find that in the manual.  Additionally I mentioned this in another thread and no one named Line6 responded that 32GB was the design limit.  The advanced guide's statement on SD card requirements is quite short, and mentions neither a maximum size of the card or SDXC or SDHC.

BucF16,

No dog in this hunt, but from the M20d FAQ...

Q: Which SD cards are compatible with the StageScape M20d? 

A: Any class 10 SD card will work with the StageScape M20d. Only class 10 SD cards are supported. SDXC cards are supported, as long as they are class 10. We do not recommend using SD cards larger than 32 gigs.

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/live-sound/stagescape-m20d-mixer/stagescape-m20d-faq-r113?st=0#comment_0

Hope this helps...

Tom

• Upvote 1

Sorry Buc...

Section 4.3 Multitrack Recording... "plug a Class 10 SD Card"
Section 4.7 Recording Times 32GB is largest quoted

There is then this...
http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/live-sound/stagescape-m20d-mixer/wifi-usb-adapter-sd-card-compatibility-an-r112

The following SD cards are compatible with the M20D:
•Any class 10 SD card is compatible with the M20D. Only class 10 SD cards formatted as FAT32 are compatible.
•32 GB maximum SD storage space

SDXC cards are (by default) formatted as exFAT so have to be reformatted to FAT32 and even then, may not be reliable. There's loads about SD cards all over the net.

As a 32GB card is plenty big enough for two full gigs for us, I don't see any benefit to trying to bend the specs to push a bigger card in. I did however buy an SDXC card first in error.

Got it.  Honestly, the advanced guide has a very concise statement on compatibility that is clearly incomplete.

I purchases a Class 10 card that appears to be compliant with the Advanced guide but not with other online guidance.  Also had recording questions in a previous thread where none of these sources of information were brought up.

I guess now my question is, why in this digital online day and age, can't Line6 update the advanced guide and have it posted by sundown?  That would have saved me some time and money.  It's not like they print and send that thing out to you anyway, it's completely digital.

• 1 month later...

Using my non-compliant Class 10 64gb card I was able to record an entire 4 hour gig no problem.

Prior to the gig I went through the trouble of actually erasing the disk, not just re-formatting, but writing zeros over the entire disk.  Took a while but worked like a champ after that.

Post gig, dropped them into Logic and had them cut into songs and mixed down within a couple hours.  Easiest I've ever seen.