Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Mono Blocks - Simplest way to free up more DSP?

joeymc93

I'm sure I'm not alone in only using mono fx (cab always at the end of the chain), but all Pod Go blocks are fixed at stereo. Love tracking in stereo but Pod Go is very much a live tool for me, which seems resonate with its design. Implementing the HX method of having the option to choose would see immediate DSP gains for anyone choosing mono, and I'm sure would then make certain fx combinations possible that are currently very difficult (Elephant Man with the Dynamic Plate for example). 

No doubt Line 6 considered this in the design and opted for simplicity, however the DSP ceiling is just so easy to hit and a lot of the favourite HX blocks are pretty heavy... 

Any other predominantly mono users out there?

I'm confused about how you phrased that. Cab at the end would cause all the blocks to be mono. But then you say the POD GO blocks are stereo. 

It can't be both, right? (I am not mocking you, or anything. I just cannot get my head around what you're saying) 

If they're all stereo....they're not, because they're mono before the cab, no? 

All good! The cab at the end of the chain reduces the signal to mono, but the blocks themselves are still stereo, which is more DSP intensive. As far as I know there's no auto switching between mono/stereo blocks to save on DSP if you end up with a mono signal chain. 

The same effect can be seen in the HX line, where you can select all stereo blocks and put a single cab at the end of the chain. Your effects will all come out mono, but the blocks are processing a stereo signal right up until it hits the cab block. Hence why the HX line provides the option to select between mono and stereo blocks for most effects. 

Does that make sense? Actually quite difficult to explain without visuals!