Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Thinking About Purchasing A Ux8

I've been using a Pod Studio UX2 for the past 4-5 years and recently I've been using it quite a bit where I'm getting constant loud static & pops. After doing extensive troubleshooting I'm almost positive it's hardware (I've been rough with it quite a few times). 

Since i have to replace the unit, I'm looking to expand my set up to a small rack with a few components, one component being a TonePort UX8. Is there any functional difference that the Pod Studio UX2 would give me that the TonePort UX8 doesn't (obviously the UX8 has more inputs, I'm looking for quality of recording, better build materials, etc.)? I see online that the TonePort UX2 & Pod Farm UX2 are essentially the same product aside color. I have purchased the amp packs for Pod Farm so I would like to keep access to those which is why I'm looking at the UX8.

Any input or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you,

-Mike

Hi Mike,

The UX8 is a great unit, the Digital-to-Audio and Audio-to-Digital converters are really good quality.  If I remember the FAQ the UX8 does 24-bit/96 kHz recording, while the UX1 and 2s do only 24-bit/48 kHz, and the converters on the UX8 are the Apogee converters.  I've had mine for almost 5 years now.  I would recommend it, except for one small thing...  Line 6 has discontinued support for the UX line.  I don't know how they are going to handle driver updates, as it seems like all the POD units share a unified driver system, and those seem to be continuing to be developed.  Also, the POD Farm seems to have come out of moth balls, with an update in the last month or so.  It is my understanding that the new Amplifi amps and pedal board are based upon the POD Farm software, so that might get more interesting soon.

• Upvote 1

Hi Triryche,

Interesting, I don't see the note that was up from before the forum change over.  There had been a note that said that the UX8 was legacy, and no further development was going to be done.  Good to know that Line 6 is continuing to work with the UX8!

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I've decided to hunt for a used UX8.

I thought about going with another brand's audio interface however from what I read up will require me to repurchase Pod Farm (platinum as I have all the amp packs as well) and I'd rather not dish out $300 for something I already have.

@ dscheidt

I think you misunderstood me.

The UX8 is indeed legacy, however, the POD Studio's, GX, UX1, and UX2 are currently supported.

@mjdecker

If you did purchase a hardware independent (not i-Lok) POD Farm 2 license, it can be used on other USB ASIO interfaces, the license with the UX8 will only be POD Farm 1.12, and requires the UX8 as a dongle.

if you buy pod farm STANDARD, it will work with your model packs....

just saying... no need for you to buy platinum....

you can buy pod farm standard and ANY interface of your choosing... Line6 or otherwise.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I've decided to hunt for a used UX8.

I thought about going with another brand's audio interface however from what I read up will require me to repurchase Pod Farm (platinum as I have all the amp packs as well) and I'd rather not dish out $300 for something I already have.

• 4 weeks later...

So, in theory, if I purchase a used UX8, I can basically use the existing version of Pod Farm that I am already using with my UX1?

I'm also getting a HD500X soon after I sell my XT Live.  Will there be any updated versions of Pod Farm that I'll be able to use with the UX8 that is more current that what I am using now, or will it be basically trading 2 inputs for 8?

Clicks and pops are often software / computer RAM issues, which can sometimes be corrected setting the appropriate buffer size settings for the task at hand.

For recording, you would want to use a different buffer size for doing recording vs playback / mixing using any FX plugins. A general rule of thumb would be, "when tracking the buffer size should be set lower. and when mixing the buffer should be set higher"

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep10/articles/qa0910-2.htm

"The smaller the buffer size, the greater the burden placed on your CPU, but you'll get lower latencies (for less audible delay), which is what you want when monitoring recordings through your sequencer and any processing. Similarly, the greater the buffer size, the greater the latency, but with less strain being placed on the CPU. If the latency is too low, you'll hear pops, clicks and glitches as your computer struggles to keep up. You're not doing any damage, so if you need low latency, try setting it down as low as you can until you hear those glitches and then raise it up a little."

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/702149-h-w-buffer-tracking-vs-mix.html

"A small buffer size puts more strain on your DAW's performance, because each time the buffer "runs out", the CPU gets interrupted and the sample data within the buffer needs to be transferred to the audio interface and back. If running at 44.1KHz sample rate, we talk about 44.100 samples per second. A buffer size of 32 samples causes 44.100 / 32 = 1.378 interrupts per second.

That said, the buffer size should be as high possible and as low as needed.

For mixing, a small buffer size does not have any benefit. Thus typical buffer sizes for mixing are 512-1024."

Some updates. I've been using the UX2 on a clone PC I had built a few years ago for gaming (i7, 12gb RAM, ect). I had recently moved it to an older system I had so I can have a dedicated PC for recording (Pentum D, 12gb RAM). I wanted to build up a rack setup so I didn't troubleshoot the issue in depth until I thought I may still have the issue with the UX8. Tested the UX2 on my i7 and had no lag/pop issues so I figured it may be memory but swapped out some known good ram with same issues. Even formatted the computer and did a clean install of Windows 8.1 (has much better memory management than Windows 7).

Then I thought maybe it's not getting enough power (with the UX2 being USB powered). Went down to BestBuy and found a cheap USB 3.0 card (I was shocked they price matched Amazon). Slapped the card in and after loading drivers up. Tested out and not a single issue with lags/pops. I had found a UX8 on ebay that I've been using for about 2 weeks and so far it's been working great. The only thing that's been annoying me is sometimes when I turn on the computer (I turn the UX8 on prior) it doesn't pick it up and I have to reboot. 

• 2 years later...

just an update from a UX8 fan. Im still using mine and its great. Windows 10 working and all preceding that.

the POD Farm and Gearbox rival the Apollo UAD with 1/10 the cost. Excellent product....24/96 is more than needed.

SPDIF In/Out, USB 2.0 that works with my USB 3.0 port. Never a problem.

highly recommended. the little borther UX2 is fun too, I have one of those but the UX8 is in the Apogee/Apollo level.