Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Looper "Overdub volume" doesn't work?

Johnnyhell666

Hey there, 

I've just updated my Helix to the 3.50 firmware thinking this would solve my issue, but unfortunately it hasn't. 

Whenever I use the Helix looper and start recording loops I noticed that everything gets recorded under the playback volume knob and the overdub volume knob is rendered useless.

So I loop something and then add a second layer on top of it (overdub), but then I cannot adjust the volume of my second loop separately which I thought I could given that there's a "overdub" volume knob. 

Is it just my Helix or is the bug generalised? Does anyone know how to solve the issue?

I appreciate the help!

Jonathan 

What you describe is the normal and intended operation. The Overdub Volume controls the level of the overdub sound(s) compared to the level of the original recording. This is applied at the time of recording the overdub part; it is not applied to the playback. When a part is overdubbed it is blended with the original recording at the specified relative level and is not able to be isolated. Both the original recording and the overdub are played back at their baked-in relative levels.

• Upvote 2

On 12/1/2022 at 4:36 PM, silverhead said:

What you describe is the normal and intended operation. The Overdub Volume controls the level of the overdub sound(s) compared to the level of the original recording. This is applied at the time of recording the overdub part; it is not applied to the playback. When a part is overdubbed it is blended with the original recording at the specified relative level and is not able to be isolated. Both the original recording and the overdub are played back at their baked-in relative levels.

Well thank you for letting me know... 

Is there a way to control the volume of my different loops or is it an option that's not included in the Helix looper? 

The only two volume controls are the Playback and Overdub volumes, and they are both relative.

The Overdub controls the level of each overdub part relative to the most recently recorded part. In other words, if you specify a reduced level each overdub will be recorded at a reduced level relative to the previous overdub. Successive overdubs will be recorded at successively reduced levels. In each case the overdub part is baked into the existing loop at the reduced level.

The Playback control adjusts looper playback level. You may find it useful to turn this down a bit so your live guitar can be slightly louder.

That's it, that's all.

Thank you for the clarification... 

I feel like it'd be more useful to have the possibility of adjusting the volume of various layers rather than the overdub function of the Helix. This overdub function you've described seems extremely limited in its uses whereas being able to adjust various volumes independently seems like something more people would need. 

Have a good one!  

Yes - the Looper feature in Helix (and other Line 6 FX processors) is quite limited. Most people who use live looping use a dedicated and fully featured looper pedal.

The Line 6 Looper is used mostly for two things:

- practicing solos over a background chord progression (Looper block at the end of the signal chain) and

- developing tones by recording a part, putting the guitar down, and tweaking the preset during playback with your hands free (looper at the beginning of the chain).

I don't know if this is possible due to DSP issue but I think you could do what you want to by incorporating two loopers in parallel. Maybe one in each path. Then use an Expression pedal to control the mix, volume, whatever. It would probabaly require a bit of a pedal board dance also.

Layers (cycles) are stacked into the same audio sample, so you cant have a dedicated volume for something it's being glued with previous cycle. Is technically impossible unless you are looping on separate tracks (which isnt possible with Helix)

Playback does adjust the loop sample cycle to be played at a specific level, like if you want to play a solo on top of a backing track that you want a tad lower.

Overdub does adjust the level of the loop sample (the one in the buffer), and that value is being triggered at every overdub cycle. This means for any value under 100, you'll get a sound on sound decay, like a frippertronics.

It's working as it should. :)

• Upvote 1