Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Running Helix LT Through An Additional USB Interface

cumminsn

Hi Forum,

I'm interested in getting LT users views on running the output(either 1/4" or XLR)into another USB interface,possibly of higher specification,before taking the output from this to studio monitors and into DAW of choice.

The LT isn't fitted with any SPDIF capability,so the key question I guess is the additional A>D then D>A conversion that takes place,and what the pros and cons are from anyone who actually uses this method.

No specification data is available in the current Helix User Guide in respect of the performance data for the audio stage of the Helix,as would be seen in products such as Focusrite,Audient,UAD etc in terms of D<>A conversion performance,sensitivity,noise floor etc,so in the interim a support ticket has been raised to see if they would be prepared to supply the technical data.

My setup is fairly simple and only use the LT for DI guitar into my DAW,feeding studio monitors and acting as my main audio interface,I have no other outboard gear or requirement for microphone inputs,so the question really is aimed at understanding if any benefits could be gained from running through a high specification interface.

Many Thanks,

Neil.

I have a Scarlett 18i20 2nd gen. I use the SPDIF from my Helix. All of the analog inputs are in use for other devices.

Early on I did a comparison of the SPDIF and Analog inputs on the Scarlett.

Unless your ears are solid gold platinum, there's no audible difference.

Nor is there any audible difference between the Helix as AI and the Scarlett over USB (0s and 1s).

The only PRACTICAL difference arises when you play through plugins in your DAW (vs direct monitoring your Helix).

Then latency arising from additional AD/DA conversions becomes a factor.

In that case you want the best, lowest latency interface available, and Helix is far from that.

Scarlett is better, but not the best.

If latency is the issue, you're better off getting the most powerful computer you can afford than spending on a super low latency interface.

Ideally, do both. How much money you got to spend on a 2ms difference so you can play through plugins vs Helix?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the prompt response rd2rk,simple answer at the moment is not very much! My DAW machine is reasonable spec,but far from the build level that many contributors on here can speak of,and latency is one of the reasons why I chose to invest in the Helix,after not getting satisfactory results from other otherwise very well featured Amplitube 5 though a basic Focusrite AI.

Although,the option is there of course to DI the guitar via USB7 and re-amp.

Thanks again!

Neil C.

On 12/2/2022 at 4:50 PM, cumminsn said:

after not getting satisfactory results from other otherwise very well featured Amplitube 5 though a basic Focusrite AI.

Therein lies part of the problem. I've used Amplitube since before it was called Amplitube. It's a great sim, but it is hands down the biggest resource hog of all amp sims, and I've used most.