Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Helix Native with Helix Floor - no direct compatability?

TheHYPO

I have the Helix (floor) already and I was looking at the Native software for the purposes of recording. I currently record by way of USB output from the Helix's main processed output (including the amp, and effects, etc.) and I can use my footswitches on the Helix to bypass and switch snapshots and all that. The main downside is the inability to tweak and reamp. I often record a second track with the raw guitar pass-through (USB7 in my case) so I can reamp if needed, but that still means replaying the audio, running it through the helix in realtime, and re-recording, and repeating if it doesn't sound right.

I'm using the Native trial and the ability to reamp is exactly what I want. My workflow is that I've selected the raw bypass input from the Helix Floor (USB7) as my DAW input, and Helix Native applies it's effects. What I lose is the ability to control the sound with the Floor itself. This means I'm stuck with a static sound until I go in later and automate changes (which I can't hear while I'm playing, and could affect how I play the part)

I'm reading some older threads that suggesting that the only way to do this is to set up a midi controller. I'm not even sure the Floor itself could be setup as a midi controller if I'm using it as my interface (can it?) I just wanted to confirm whether there have been any updates or improvements and if there is any way to control Helix Native in realtime from Helix Floor while recording with Helix Floor as my interface?

Before I downloaded Native, I had assumed logically that it would function much like HX Edit does for people who have the hardware, and that Native would automatically reflect the state of the Floor unit (or at least that this would be one mode it could function in), but it seems this is not the case?

If anyone else can share their workflows or suggestions, that would be appreciated.

I'm afraid my answer won't be of much help, but I always thought the process was way too complicated to bother with it. So, I either record a clean DI track and do the rest via HX Native (and btw, you can as well record your "performance part" and the DI track, so you have a good orientation) or just record the performance itself (more below). I also never bothered automating anything, I usually re-amp individual parts, then bounce them to audio and consolidate the various bounces.

But: I actually almost completely stopped doing all that. What I usually end up with these days is recording everything either until the spatial FX such as delay and reverb (I just use them for monitoring, works quite well with the Helix) or even just until straight after the amp so I can as well fool around with IRs in my DAW. But generally, I don't go for the latter that often anymore.

This way I need to finish complete tracks, avoiding many headaches and a certain amount of procrastination, too.

Just set the helix as MIDI interface in the daw settings (globals MIDI USB ON), and prepare a preset as a "Native commander", programming all FS to send MIDI CCs to Native.

You need to map both sides of course, but it's a one time only job.

It's a bummer they didnt put this stuff in the code already, to make it working out of the box.

• Upvote 1

Setup Helix to send the MIDI you'll later require when re-amping in Native.

Don't forget to turn ON PC TX and SEND Snapshot MIDI in Globals.

Set the Bypass and expression pedals to send MIDI CC and note the CCs you use.

Record the processed Helix Output on 1/2 that you're monitoring in real time as you play.

Record the DI from Helix on USB7/8.

Record the MIDI output from Helix on a third track.

In Native, set the FX to the MIDI CC assigned on Helix.

In your DAW, point the recorded DI and MIDI tracks at the Native track.

Record the Native track with audio from the DI track and FX control from the MIDI track.

You may need to make minute timing adjustments in the DAW to compensate for latency.

I haven't done this in ages because it's way more hassle than I care to deal with, but it works.

• Upvote 2