Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Need some help getting decent acoustic sounds from JTV-59

Gigging player here.   Bought the JTV-59 in order to get acoustic sounds on a guitar that plays like an electric.   Typically play a LP for the rock and blues band, but occassionally do a country duo where I've been playing my Tele direct through the PA.  Sometimes, I want to play acoustic for a song or two, but hate having to change guitars.  My hope was to do a custom setting on the Variax that would let me toggle between acoustic, tele, and maybe a strat in the 2 position.   

I know all of the above is possible........but......I can't seem to get a decent acoustic sound.  The two Martins sound twangy and boxy (not at all like my real Martin) and the Gibson is really boomy.

I was hooked up through my PA that I use for these duo gigs and I just can't seem to make it happen on the acoustic side.

Can anyone offer any suggestions for a newb to this particular platform/guitar?  I haven't yet tried to hook up to the software for deeper editing.  Before I do, just wanted to know if it's worth it as it will be a pain to get the computer out to where the PA is.

Thanks.....

If I understand correctly you want to use your JTV to replace your other guitars and allow you to have both electric and acoustic guitar sounds at the flick of a switch, or setting, on a single guitar. You likely don’t want to have to perform any physical equipment and/or cabling changes when you switch between the acoustic and electric sounds.

Presumably for the electric guitar sounds your JTV will not be connected directly to the PA. What will it be connected to? What other equipment are you using with your JTV setup, other than the PA? Your equipment setup has a great deal to do with the suggestions we can offer.

On 12/11/2022 at 8:11 AM, silverhead said:

If I understand correctly you want to use your JTV to replace your other guitars and allow you to have both electric and acoustic guitar sounds at the flick of a switch, or setting, on a single guitar. You likely don’t want to have to perform any physical equipment and/or cabling changes when you switch between the acoustic and electric sounds.

Presumably for the electric guitar sounds your JTV will not be connected directly to the PA. What will it be connected to? What other equipment are you using with your JTV setup, other than the PA? Your equipment setup has a great deal to do with the suggestions we can offer.

Thanks for the response.........Sorry, I wasn't clear.  It will be played exclusively direct to the PA - no amp.   I have a PA company, so hooking up, proper EQ, etc. is handled.  I was testing it through the exact setup that I use when doing small acoustic shows.  I don't expect it to be as good as my Martin or Maton, but I'd like it at least decent enough to play a handful of songs - the rest is electric as my playing partner is on acoustic all night.

Then it’s all about EQ settings on your PA. The acoustic Variax models typically need EQ to tame the boxy and twangy frequencies. The Variax Tone knob controls the amount of acoustic guitar body simulation that is applied to the tone. Beyond that, in my experience, you need at least a 5-band EQ (hi/low cuts as well as lo/mid/hi parametric bands). Experience (or learning) with acoustic guitar EQing is required. Set aside some time, Google for examples, and experiment. You’ll get there. I typically start with a pretty severe cut in the 250-400hz range.

Depending on your mixer/PA capabilities a bit of reverb and delay can help. As I’m sure you’re aware the channel  Input Gain can have a large impact on the tone as well.

On 12/11/2022 at 8:35 AM, silverhead said:

Then it’s all about EQ settings on your PA. The acoustic Variax models typically need EQ to tame the boxy and twangy frequencies. The Variax Tone knob controls the amount of acoustic guitar body simulation that is applied to the tone. Beyond that, in my experience, you need at least a 5-band EQ (hi/low cuts as well as lo/mid/hi parametric bands). Experience (or learning) with acoustic guitar EQing is required. Set aside some time, Google for examples, and experiment. You’ll get there. I typically start with a pretty severe cut in the 250-400hz range.

Depending on your mixer/PA capabilities a bit of reverb and delay can help. As I’m sure you’re aware the channel  Input Gain can have a large impact on the tone as well.

Thanks.   Been mixing bands for 45 years.....pretty much have the whole EQ thing down.  :)    I was hoping that it wasn't going to require huge EQ work as it might get the acoustic sounds there, but might really wreck the electric side of the equation.  I could always use an AB switch to send the acoustic to one channel and the electric to another, but that means additional direct  boxes, cabling, footswitch, etc.....kind'a defeats the purpose of what I want to do.

So, I guess that leads to the next question.....does the editing software let you control the EQ enough to fix it there?  That would leave the EQ in the PA for a little more subtle changes.   Just kind'a wondered what any of you folks have run into with this guitar.  Have you found good acoustic tones?  Did it require deep editing with the software?

And, I'm not being really picky.....I just want something close - the current sounds are just too far away to be usable for me.

Thanks for the response.

No, the Workbench software does not include an EQ capability. I think it will be difficult to find PA EQ settings that would be good for acoustic without, as you indicate, negatively affecting the electric guitar EQ. But is sounds like you're a more experienced with EQ than I am, so best of luck.

Thanks for the responses.   I've put out a message to the guy I bought it from to see if he had altered it from factory settings.   I'm going to try a few other things with it before I give up.   

If I decide it's not for me, does this forum allow posting a "for sale" listing?

Thanks again for your time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I do not like the JTV acoustics. I think the acoustics in the original firmware version of Variax sound better. Those are the ones without pickups but I think the JTVs were originally shipped with those models a long time ago before they came up with the HD models. I believe you do have the capability to roll back the firmware to the point where the acoustics (along with the rest of the models) are from the original Variax firmware models. No way to get them if you are still on the JTV firmware. Might be worth it if you find you also like the old Variax models.

• 7 months later...

On 1/16/2023 at 3:50 PM, brue58ski said:

I do not like the JTV acoustics. I think the acoustics in the original firmware version of Variax sound better. Those are the ones without pickups but I think the JTVs were originally shipped with those models a long time ago before they came up with the HD models. I believe you do have the capability to roll back the firmware to the point where the acoustics (along with the rest of the tidal plays) are from the original Variax firmware models. No way to get them if you are still on the JTV firmware. Might be worth it if you find you also like the old Variax models.

It's worth noting that firmware updates can indeed affect the tones and models available on instruments like the Variax. If you're considering rolling back your firmware, it's important to carefully follow the manufacturer's instructions to avoid any potential issues or unintended consequences.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2023 at 5:38 AM, MarcusWatsons said:

It's worth noting that firmware updates can indeed affect the tones and models available on instruments like the Variax. If you're considering rolling back your firmware, it's important to carefully follow the manufacturer's instructions to avoid any potential issues or unintended consequences.

I know the process to roll back the firmware is "tricky". I have not done it. One of my biggest complaints about the acoustics is that there is a bug in the Helix that, because of it, I cannot use the Helix to control the tone or volume parameters. Being able to use the tone knob would put the acoustics more to where I want them but you can't in the Helix.

On 9/6/2023 at 11:02 AM, brue58ski said:

I know the process to roll back the firmware is "tricky". I have not done it. One of my biggest complaints about the acoustics is that there is a bug in the Helix that, because of it, I cannot use the Helix to control the tone or volume parameters. Being able to use the tone knob would put the acoustics more to where I want them but you can't in the Helix.

I understand the convenience of storing Variax Vol and Tone knob positions in a Helix preset but it doesn’t prevent me from getting good acoustic tones. I adjust the knobs manually if desired.

Well whatever works for you. I like the way it sounds when I set the tone knob a certain way and can't get it any other way. If that works for you, that's fine. It does not work for me. Aside from the fact that this is a function stated in manuals and hasn't worked since the Helix has been out. I'm very happy with what I have and very satisfied with my Helix/JTV Variax. But this wouldn't be the first time Line 6 let something go without correcting it.