Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp w/Board vs Helix Floor

jpstephens225

I currently have an HX Stomp and Ego Compressor, along with a Boss SD1.  I've considered setting them up on a board and making it my new rig (instead of my current fm9 set up).  The small size for transport is very attractive to me.  I'll need a board, as well as power for the pedals, and a DI solution.  Those together will run me right at $600 (Canvas DI; Ciocks DC7; Pedal train Metro 16).  A used Helix floor can be hard around $1,100.  The floor is heavy, so there's that.  Portability is nice for carrying around to get in the church or other gigs.  Any suggestions here?

On 12/12/2022 at 7:19 PM, jpstephens225 said:

Those together will run me right at $600 (Canvas DI; Ciocks DC7; Pedal train Metro 16).

You could save around 4-500 here easily. No need for any luxury DI boxes, a stereo one (if you need stereo) for around 50 bucks will do. Same goes for the power supply. When running it off the main board, I'm daisy chaining the Stomp with two pedals, using a PSU for less than 20 bucks, 100 bucks would already give you a Harley Benton one with isolated outs if you want something more fancy and flexible. And as far as the board goes, I have a small wooden construction made of case plywood. Cost me 20 bucks cut and ready to roll from the local case builder.

If you can grab a Helix Floor or LT and a Helix Backpack (or equivalent) you'll almost not even notice carrying or transporting the gear. The Helix Backpack has plenty extra capacity for additional stuff (cables, add'l pedals, tablet, and still more room) plus, it stands vertical when loaded, and is a breeze to carry. YMMV.

• Upvote 1

Some of the benefits of the Helix: You get a microphone, Aux, and Variax, input in addition to Guitar. You get an L6 Link output if you want to be able to add and remotely control a PowerCab(+). Granted this can be done with more effort via MIDI. Extra pair of expression inputs. Scribble strips!!! Built-in expression pedal on the Helix. Lots more footswitches!!! Roughly twice the processing power allowing more complex signal chains with more amps and effects in a preset.

You may eventually find you want both the Helix and the Stomp. For me, the Helix does the trick. One of my goals was getting away from a pedal board with a ton of pedals and all the cable and reordering hassles that come with it. I also constantly use an expression pedal for volume, whammy, and pitch so I like having one that is built in. No fuss, no muss.

Anyway, the Helix is a so-called "all-in-one" solution although there is lots of I/O available for expansion. If cost is your primary consideration or the stuff in the above paragraphs, isn't that interesting to you maybe you might prefer the Stomp. If you are just looking to add some HX features/functions to your board and leverage your pedals, the Stomp might be a better fit. Either way you can get a great deal on the Native software. Make sure to check whether or not your used Helix comes with an unused/available Native license discount, so your expectations are set accordingly.

He said that small size is attractive. If anything, the Helix Floor and LT are *not* small, they're rather bulky and heavy affairs not fitting into any regular backpack or, say, cabin luggage. In addition, as they're so heavy, they need very good padding (or a case) during transport, otherwise you will eventually break a pot, crack the screen or whatever.