Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HXFX, Stomp, or Stomp XL

BSByrdman

I bought the Catalyst 200 about 2 months ago and love the amp.  I'm looking to add to it for not only additional effects, but for midi control as well. 

Anyone care to make any recommendations or can cover the basic +/-'s of these units?  Or anyone use these with a Cat by chance?  My gut is telling me to just go with a HXFX and worry about amp modeling later if I need it.

I understand that the HXFX is effects only and would be the least expensive to accomplish my needs, but for a few hundred more, is it worth it for the amp modeling even if I may not use it?  IMO, the Cat 200 sounds great and covers any amp sound I would probably need with it's built in 6 for what I play.  I'm mainly classic rock to alternative 80's, 90's, & 2000's.

I'm just stuck at this point trying to decide.  I don't want to  spend extra money on stuff I wont use or not spend enough and regret not getting the additional amp modeling or additional footswitches for enough midi control I may need down the line.  BTW, cant justify spending the money on a Helix for the best of all worlds.

TIA!

Byrdman

A lot of what you're asking about deals more with what kind of things you're doing and what you think you'll want to be doing in the next few years.  For example, having access to a large group of amp models is important for some people that tend to play a range of different styles and music whereas it's not so important to someone that tends to have a select style they generally always play which sounds more like what you're doing.  Effects are of course a different animal since you very much would likely need a range of effects even if you're not likely to need different amp models so something like an HXFX unit might be right down your alley.

When it comes to MIDI controls, yes Helix does provide an answer in addition to their modeling and effects, but I'll be the first one to say it's not as flexible and powerful nor as inexpensive as a dedicated MIDI unit.  I initially started using my Helix Floor as a MIDI controller several years ago but got so frustrated with the limitations that I got a Morningstar MC8 which solved any and all the problems I ever had with MIDI automation and just use the Helix for what it does best which is amp and effects modeling.

For example it would be quite easy to have a single footswitch on my MC8 that could automate any number of changes to the Catalyst configuration as well as an HXFX unit.  I would think that's where you'd likely get more out of it.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2022 at 9:06 AM, DunedinDragon said:

A lot of what you're asking about deals more with what kind of things you're doing and what you think you'll want to be doing in the next few years.  For example, having access to a large group of amp models is important for some people that tend to play a range of different styles and music whereas it's not so important to someone that tends to have a select style they generally always play which sounds more like what you're doing.  Effects are of course a different animal since you very much would likely need a range of effects even if you're not likely to need different amp models so something like an HXFX unit might be right down your alley.

When it comes to MIDI controls, yes Helix does provide an answer in addition to their modeling and effects, but I'll be the first one to say it's not as flexible and powerful nor as inexpensive as a dedicated MIDI unit.  I initially started using my Helix Floor as a MIDI controller several years ago but got so frustrated with the limitations that I got a Morningstar MC8 which solved any and all the problems I ever had with MIDI automation and just use the Helix for what it does best which is amp and effects modeling.

For example it would be quite easy to have a single footswitch on my MC8 that could automate any number of changes to the Catalyst configuration as well as an HXFX unit.  I would think that's where you'd likely get more out of it.

Thank you!  BTW, I'm in Winter Haven FL.

I use a full Helix Floor with my Cat100 (already owned it when the Cat came out) and also have an HXS, which is essentially the HXSXL with less switches and one less snapshot.

MIDI first - any of those units have all you need for use with your Cat, there's no need for a separate MIDI controller unless you want to get REALLY fancy. Honestly, I have an FCB1010 with the UNO2 fully programmable chip. I never use it with my Cat, total overkill. I would, however, recommend that you get the optional LFS2 footswitch. Although my Helix has 10 footswitches, I find it useful to have the channel switch and boost separate. That way, all of the Helix switches can be used for FX.

I have my Helix configured so that 6 of the 8 snapshots recall the 6 Catalyst Banks. The last 2 snapshots deactivate the 4cm (takes the Cat's preamp out) and activate two of my favorite Helix amps. Which ones vary with different Helix presets. But that's just me. The Cat's 6 amps, given 12 presets to play with, are more than enough variety given your description of your playing level and needs, and most everything in the Cat can be configured with MIDI except for the deep FX parameters. In your case I would go for the HXFX. Although you'll have only 4 snapshots, using them to switch banks as I do still allows you access to 8 Catalyst presets from any given HXFX preset and, of course, snapshots can do much more than just change banks on the Cat.

Bottom line - get the HXFX. It's nearly the perfect match for the Cat. If it had 6 snapshots it would be perfect, but that's not disadvantage enough to justify the added expense and complications of a separate MIDI controller. Do get the LFS2.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2022 at 12:28 PM, rd2rk said:

I use a full Helix Floor with my Cat100 (already owned it when the Cat came out) and also have an HXS, which is essentially the HXSXL with less switches and one less snapshot.

MIDI first - any of those units have all you need for use with your Cat, there's no need for a separate MIDI controller unless you want to get REALLY fancy. Honestly, I have an FCB1010 with the UNO2 fully programmable chip. I never use it with my Cat, total overkill. I would, however, recommend that you get the optional LFS2 footswitch. Although my Helix has 10 footswitches, I find it useful to have the channel switch and boost separate. That way, all of the Helix switches can be used for FX.

I have my Helix configured so that 6 of the 8 snapshots recall the 6 Catalyst Banks. The last 2 snapshots deactivate the 4cm (takes the Cat's preamp out) and activate two of my favorite Helix amps. Which ones vary with different Helix presets. But that's just me. The Cat's 6 amps, given 12 presets to play with, are more than enough variety given your description of your playing level and needs, and most everything in the Cat can be configured with MIDI except for the deep FX parameters. In your case I would go for the HXFX. Although you'll have only 4 snapshots, using them to switch banks as I do still allows you access to 8 Catalyst presets from any given HXFX preset and, of course, snapshots can do much more than just change banks on the Cat.

Bottom line - get the HXFX. It's nearly the perfect match for the Cat. If it had 6 snapshots it would be perfect, but that's not disadvantage enough to justify the added expense and complications of a separate MIDI controller. Do get the LFS2.

Thanks!  I'm probably just overthinking everything and the usual afraid of missing out thoughts.  IMO, product info on Line 6's site, and almost all other manufacturers sites, tends to lack details so doing research on other places like TGP, etc, just adds to the overall confusion.   Thanks again!!

On 12/13/2022 at 8:31 AM, BSByrdman said:

I understand that the HXFX is effects only and would be the least expensive to accomplish my needs, but for a few hundred more, is it worth it for the amp modeling even if I may not use it? 

Here's the one thing you need to know: The HX Effects does NOT have the auto impedance feature.

This means that your fuzzes and other pedals that expect a lower impedance will not function properly when you roll off the volume knob.

This may not make a difference to you if you never plan on usinig Fuzz and other drives within the unit itself.

If you're just using say, mods, and delays, and reverbs, then saving the money is probably worth it.

Otherwise I'd go with the Stomp XL primarily for having enough footswitches.

The attached list is a bit out of date, but you might find it helpful.

Keep in mind that when someone says that lower impedance FX will "not function properly" what's meant is that those FX cause a loss of some of the high frequencies due to the way the pickups are loaded, which is part of what gives those FX their characteristic sound, so the FX will not sound the way they would if you plugged your guitar straight into them before your amp's input. Also keep in mind that, if you use a wireless, none of that matters, as your pickups will (almost always - some wireless rigs have a "long cable" setting that does something similar) be loaded at 1M and the Auto-Impedance feature will have no effect anyway. The next time you see a Rig Rundown where some rock star is bragging about his $1000 original tube screamer or fuzz-face he has on his board that he connects to wirelessly, think about that.

Helix FX Impedance.txt

• Like 1