Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp skipping presets

ReeV0

Hi all,

My HX Stomp has developed a fault whereby turning the scroll wheel causes it to jump two presets. This is making it very difficult to use live, as I need to press PAGE and then change presets using the footswitches. Is there any fix to this?

Thanks

On 12/13/2022 at 5:23 PM, ReeV0 said:

Hi all,

My HX Stomp has developed a fault whereby turning the scroll wheel causes it to jump two presets. This is making it very difficult to use live, as I need to press PAGE and then change presets using the footswitches. Is there any fix to this?

Thanks

Yep, rotary encoder misfiring. I'm getting the same problem since last week. Not much you can do, as these encoders are sealed and I wouldn't suggest to attempt a contact cleaner approach.

I'm using a midi controller now to browse presets as it's skipping one every four, or five...just random.

On 12/14/2022 at 1:23 PM, ReeV0 said:

Does anyone else have a fix?

On 12/13/2022 at 5:57 PM, PierM said:

using a midi controller now to browse presets

Also a simple passive double footswitch assigned as FS4/5 will do with Preset Down/Up.

On 12/14/2022 at 2:37 PM, PierM said:

Mine also started this just after the 3.5 update.

I haven't noticed anything yet.
(But then again, I only switch presets when I'm "switching" bands that I'm playing with, i.e. whether I play e-bass, a-bass, fretless bass, e-guitar, a-guitar, etc.)

On 12/14/2022 at 2:58 PM, lou-kash said:

(But then again, I only switch presets when I'm "switching" bands that I'm playing with, i.e. whether I play e-bass, a-bass, fretless bass, e-guitar, a-guitar, etc.)

Of course it happens even when you are editing a preset, and scrolling lateral through a path. That's bloody annoying as sometimes it skips the block you need to edit.

OT; i had the chance to hold an Ampero Stomp II and I wish Line 6 would make things feeling that solid. Smooth knobs, no wobbling pots, no clicky clicky FS, no cheap feeling... 

The Rotary Encoders' sensitivity was enhanced in firmware 3.50. 

If you are experiencing instances with selections skipping or jumping when using any of the rotary controls, submit a Support Ticket to Line 6 describing the specifics of your findings, so that the sensitivity may be further refined in the next firmware update.  

The best place to report anomalies is by posting a Support Ticket to Line 6!

• Like 1

On 12/14/2022 at 8:34 PM, MusicLaw said:

The Rotary Encoders' sensitivity was enhanced in firmware 3.50. 

If you are experiencing instances with selections skipping or jumping when using any of the rotary controls, submit a Support Ticket to Line 6 describing the specifics of your findings, so that the sensitivity may be further refined in the next firmware update.  

The best place to report anomalies is by posting a Support Ticket to Line 6!

Not sure what would be the point to implement a sensitivity curve to the preset/block knob (which I believe is just a mechanical encoder) . In fact I always thought the encoders affected by the speed of rotation are just the params encoders under the display.

As for the support ticket; I do always do that, but when it's about hardware behaviour the answers are always the same by protocol.. Global reset, and then ship to service. :)

I will report this as possible bug tho.

I have no idea if there are different internal software controls for the various encoders and rotary control knobs on the Helix and HX family hardware. I only know that during Beta Testing the sensitivity was adjusted, in response to Beta Team responses, at least once.

• Upvote 1

On 12/14/2022 at 8:54 PM, PierM said:

As for the support ticket; I do always do that, but when it's about hardware behaviour the answers are always the same by protocol.. Global reset, and then ship to service. :)

That’s a typical Tier 1 boilerplate response, it needs to be escalated to Tier 2 or even better 3.

We all know that in here we are the generally entry level, Tier 0 support, but can actually function as unpaid level 2 or 3 customer support for the products.

Line 6 really do need to start taking a hands on approach to stuff that goes on in here.

• Upvote 2

On 12/15/2022 at 9:28 PM, MusicLaw said:

@PierM please post your Support Ticket info here and I'll be happy to attach it to a post I just submitted to the Beta Testing Team. 

Same goes for any others following this thread whom may have submitted Support Tickets. 

Ticket ID:440972

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

This is what happens occasionally with the knob issue since 3.5:

Description:

Watch the second position (drive block) being skipped.

Then I do a right round trip and then the position is not skipped.

Then I do a left round trip and then the position is skipped.

Then I do a left round trip and then the position is not skipped

Then I do a right round trip and then the position is skipped.

It happens on both my HX Stomps after updating to 3.5. Before every knob position translated to exactly one step - now occasionally two which is ANNOYING. It's repeatably skipping one position while all other steps work fine.

When I restart the device the skipping doesn't happen anymore.

Normally moving 10 steps in one direction (left or right) gets you to the same position again (one round-trip). When this issue happens there is a position that is skipped and it's 9 steps, but when do it again in the same direction it's the normal 10 positions again. 

An example sequence to each time getting to the same position would be i.e.: 10 right, 9 right, 10 right, 10 left, 9 left, 10 left.

Maybe a rounding error in the algorithm determining the position from knob input?

• 9 months later...
On 12/14/2022 at 2:58 PM, lou-kash said:

Meanwhile, I've noticed it as well, of course. But as already noted, it's not a critical issue the way I use the Stomp.