Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Cursor Speed in 3.50

adam79

Hi,

we are reporting similar issues with HX stomp, where that excessive speed is skipping blocks and presets when rolling. Please read the thread and open a ticket if you think it's the same issue. The more we are doing so, the better.

• Upvote 1

On 12/16/2022 at 3:37 PM, adam79 said:

Has anyone else noticed that the cursor moves much quicker (when in the Helix window) since the 3.50 update? Kinda too quick...for me anyways. Is there a way to slow it down?

Thanks.

Hi,

After many, many user complaints about the encoder reaction speeds we got this when way back in November 2021 Line 6 released firmware v.3.15, and the release notes contained this bulleted comment under the “Other Changes and  Improvements” paragraph.

• Encoder ballistics have been improved. For parameters with hundreds of values, you can now go from Min to Max in a couple of turns

Subsequently, the release notes for the latest firmware v.3.50 contain this bulleted comment under the “Other Changes and  Improvements” paragraph.

• Encoder ballistics have been drastically improved. For example, tonestack values can go from 0.0 to 10.0 with one turn

This is obviously one of those “Goldilocks” situations that doesn’t work for everyone, in fact there is actually some question as to whether there is a bug in the changes to the encoders which has made some of them cease to work properly. We await a reply from Support regarding this. Meanwhile, you could always revert to an earlier firmware release but, if you have made any new presets using 3.50 they will not be compatible with earlier iterations of the firmware. Your decision.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 2

On 12/16/2022 at 5:01 PM, datacommando said:

We await a reply from Support regarding this.

Don't hold your breath. Support replied to my ticket with the usual "global reset etc etc". :)

Funny is my ticket started saying "Global reset doesn't solve"...oh well, no news.

• Upvote 1

Like the OP, I'm not a fan of the new ballistics.

On 12/16/2022 at 10:01 AM, datacommando said:

in fact there is actually some question as to whether there is a bug in the changes to the encoders which has made some of them cease to work properly.

A true bug would effect everybody... yet my Helix LT and my Stomp don't have any issues with the ballistic update.  I think this update has exposed encoders that are not 100% healthy. You'd rarely notice a glitchy encoder at the slower speeds because the jump would be so small, but at the higher speeds the jumps are huge and unmanageable.  It would be nice if the ballistics were an option in global settings... so people could revert to the old ballistics without downgrading their firmware. 

On 12/16/2022 at 10:16 AM, PierM said:

Support replied to my ticket with the usual "global reset etc etc". :)

Funny is my ticket started saying "Global reset doesn't solve"...oh well, no news.

Tier One support is always a canned response. Escalate it to Tier Two and you'll get someone that actually reads the problem and tries to understand it. 

Like you, I tend to troubleshoot an issue before opening the ticket. Responding to the tier one answer politely but forcefully has always worked for me to escalate the problem and actually get a solution... or a confirmation of a bug they are working on. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/17/2022 at 2:06 PM, codamedia said:

A true bug would effect everybody... yet my Helix LT and my Stomp don't have any issues with the ballistic update.  I think this update has exposed encoders that are not 100% healthy. You'd rarely notice a glitchy encoder at the slower speeds because the jump would be so small, but at the higher speeds the jumps are huge and unmanageable.  It would be nice if the ballistics were an option in global settings... so people could revert to the old ballistics without downgrading their firmware. 

True - a glitch would possibly be a more appropriate description of the issue. Luckily, I have not experienced this, but a selectable response curve, added to the speed of the encoders, would seem to be a good idea. I understand the reasoning behind the modification to the speed in the first instance, because of the amount of criticism from users. Although, it now appears the second “drastically improved” version may have been a step too far for some.

• Like 1

I still dont understand the point to add the dynamic ballistic to the preset knob. Doesnt make any sense to me.

Ballistic is a great help for params encoder, like to set quickly an high value on a param that has a wide min/max range.

• Upvote 1

On 12/17/2022 at 3:06 PM, codamedia said:

I think this update has exposed encoders that are not 100% healthy.

Cheap hardware, that's it. 

Seriously, the only machine that gave me all these various "glitches" along last 10 years, is a Helix/HX. I do have racks coming from '90 with buttons and knobs still rolling without skipping a beat.

Sorry useless rant, but a bit tired of these problems.

• Upvote 1

Do I just open a regular support ticket or is there a different route to support for bugs/suggestions?

I'd guess the speedy Stomp knob and fast Native cursor are both related to the 'improved ballistics.'

A simple min/max slider seems to be the move here.

On 12/20/2022 at 10:03 PM, adam79 said:

Do I just open a regular support ticket or is there a different route to support for bugs/suggestions?

I'd guess the speedy Stomp knob and fast Native cursor are both related to the 'improved ballistics.'

A simple min/max slider seems to be the move here.

Hi,

I would suggest the standard ticket option with Customer Support.

Although, IIRC, the “fast Native cursor” issue was supposed to have been addressed in the latest release of Helix Native and HX Edit version 3.51. I realise this would not solve the Stomp hardware encoder, but it may be worth verifying if the problem with Native is actually fixed in the new version which was released on 29 November 2022, prior to your first post in this thread and only mentions v.3.50.

On 12/17/2022 at 9:06 AM, codamedia said:

I suppose another more remote possibility would be that different parts were used on one or more production runs and the new firmware doesn't play nice with them. Unlikely, but possible. Just seems like more units would have been impacted.

Not saying this has anything to do with these failures but I would not be surprised if this kind of firmware update incompatibility pops up more frequently as manufacturers seem to be more likely these days to be forced to find alternative parts to keep their production line and assembly moving.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2022 at 6:05 PM, datacommando said:

Hi,

I would suggest the standard ticket option with Customer Support.

Although, IIRC, the “fast Native cursor” issue was supposed to have been addressed in the latest release of Helix Native and HX Edit version 3.51. I realise this would not solve the Stomp hardware encoder, but it may be worth verifying if the problem with Native is actually fixed in the new version which was released on 29 November 2022, prior to your first post in this thread and only mentions v.3.50.

Ya, it's faster than ever in 3.51.

On 12/21/2022 at 12:55 AM, HonestOpinion said:

I suppose another more remote possibility would be that different parts were used on one or more production runs and the new firmware doesn't play nice with them. Unlikely, but possible. Just seems like more units would have been impacted.

Not saying this has anything to do with these failures but I would not be surprised if this kind of firmware update incompatibility pops up more frequently as manufacturers seem to be more likely these days to be forced to find alternative parts to keep their production line and assembly moving.

Implementing "code side" rotation ballistics on a low resolution 24 step mechanical encoder (tons of switch bouncing), is plain nonsense. I will keep saying that. If they did it, it was a mistake. Even if seems working fine for you guys, adding a ballistic/logic code to a 24 step encoder is a terrible idea. (while it's a good move on the high res encoders under the display).

Switch bouncing is already a potential cause of misfiring in a 1:1 behaviour...add to this a ballistic code and there you have a recipe for rotary farts. :)

If you really want to do so, you should go for a different and arbitrary (no logic) solution, like pressing a button while rotating to switch from high speed to detail 1:1 speed).

On 12/16/2022 at 8:37 AM, adam79 said:

Has anyone else noticed that the cursor moves much quicker (when in the Helix window) since the 3.50 update? Kinda too quick...for me anyways. Is there a way to slow it down?

Thanks.

Are you talking about the software mouse cursor? I haven't noticed any issue there.

If you are talking about the hardware knobs tho- I simply cannot believe that anyone would prefer twisting a knob 10 times instead of just once. I've found this to be one of my favorite update features. 

That being said, choice over fine/coarse knob speed should always be given to the user.

On 12/21/2022 at 11:46 PM, DJ5D said:

I simply cannot believe that anyone would prefer twisting a knob 10 times instead of just once. I've found this to be one of my favorite update features. 

The hardware talk is about the browse knobs (presets, blocks etc..), not the params encoders under the displays.