Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT expression pedal not working

MarcDwonn

I never used the expression pedal, just for testing this or that, and i remember at least one time i played some wah stuff, so it probably worked at some point. Lately i've been having problems to get Freeze presets to work, and i always thought that i just don't know how to use those correctly, or that my pedal settings are somehow wrong.

Today, after some frustration, i discovered the hardware testing mode, and i saw that the pedal is not responding at all. Could this be firmware related? Or is the pedal somehow busted? Mechanically it feels 100% like new, nothing feels broken.

Is this a known issue? What could i try to do to revive it? Or should i open a ticket at Line 6?

hlt-hw-test.jpg

On 12/18/2022 at 10:56 AM, MarcDwonn said:

Is this a known issue? What could i try to do to revive it?

Known issue? I doubt that or none of our EXP's would work. Possible hardware failure, or a misconfiguration somewhere. 

IMO, the easiest way to test the expression pedal is to create a blank preset and add a volume pedal block. It auto assigns everything so you can't make a mistake. If the VP works, the pedal is working. 

A factory reset is always a good troubleshooting technique for something failing. Make a backup then do a factory reset. Restore backups as required. 

Failing all of that, open a support ticket with Line 6. 

Blank preset with assigned Volume Pedal - expression pedal does nothing, no volume change, only the toe switch works. It should change the values shown on screen, but it doesn't.

Factory reset - exactly the same. Seems to be hardware failure. I'm out of warranty, but since Line6 promised to fix all those faulty units, i have hope that they will honor their word.

Let's see how good or bad the support in Germany is (support is bad here in general, but i hope Line6/Yamaha is a nice exception).

On 12/18/2022 at 11:16 AM, MarcDwonn said:

I remember that there were some batches of Helix LT that shipped with faulty expression pedals, from the time when i bought it new. That's why i asked.

That was a physical problem where the bracket in the LT would break and the EXP had nothing to pivot on. That's very different from what you are describing. 

• Upvote 1

Contrary to codamedia's reply, this issue with pedals dying is known and discussed, and people have found a solution for it:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads%2Fhelix-lt-pedal-sensor-issue.2307568%2F

After a rather uncaring reply from the support ticket crew for Germany, i was pointed to find a service center in my area and call there, even though i already had a ticket. Them charging 90€ per work hour, i already imagined having to loan money to pay for this repair... Luckily there are other options, even though for a pedal that was barely used and died after 3 years just because Line6 decided to use a cheap component to save a couple of cents, it should still fall under warranty.

On my Helix LT, the emitter LED is non-functional, but the receiver works fine. So i'm gonna buy a nice little infrared LED replacement and fix it myself, for a total of under 10€ (estimated).

I hope that some other soul who has the same issue here, sees this and finds it helpful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

On 12/20/2022 at 12:29 PM, MarcDwonn said:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads%2Fhelix-lt-pedal-sensor-issue.2307568%2F

After a rather uncaring reply from the support ticket crew for Germany, i was pointed to find a service center in my area and call there, even though i already had a ticket. Them charging 90€ per work hour, i already imagined having to loan money to pay for this repair... Luckily there are other options, even though for a pedal that was barely used and died after 3 years just because Line6 decided to use a cheap component to save a couple of cents, it should still fall under warranty.

On my Helix LT, the emitter LED is non-functional, but the receiver works fine. So i'm gonna buy a nice little infrared LED replacement and fix it myself, for a total of under 10€ (estimated).

I hope that some other soul who has the same issue here, sees this and finds it helpful.

Excellent repair video. This is bound to help some folks out, if not now, later.

Looks like it was fairly self-evident but would love to know which traces you tested to make sure LED was going to get power and that the board didn't have other issues further upstream. Also, can you list the part/LED that you used as a replacement?

I'm still searching for a replacement model LED. I can solder, but my knowledge of LEDs is almost zero. Researching phase, currently. (Besides, here in Germany, i can't get the model numbers listed in those posts, it seems.)

I measured the voltage on the pins of the emitter LED with a multimeter, on the PCB. It read 3.24 V.

On 12/20/2022 at 11:29 AM, MarcDwonn said:

Contrary to codamedia's reply, this issue with pedals dying is known and discussed, and people have found a solution for it:

Although I had recently seen the video you posted, I wasn't aware that the sensor was a wide spread problem. Thanks for pointing it out, I'll keep that in mind should my EXP die.  

• Upvote 1

Interesting. I think Line6 should repair that for free, even if the unit is out of warranty. This issue should be treated like the broken pedal issue is (lifelong free replacement). A broken LED after such a short period of time in such an expensive unit is unacceptable.

• Upvote 4

You can also get an external pedal and use that in the interim.  For example, I built all my presets to only use EXP 2 and never EXP 1.  I can always make all my presets work seamlessly with the external EXP, and I never use the toe switch. 

Line 6 gear is built with cheap Chinese POS parts.  1600 USD piece of equipment should not break after a year or 2 years, but it does.   I know people who used Pod HD 500 for like 10 years live with no issues, touring musicians.  But, anyway, cheap Chinese crap that can always fail when you least expect it, means you need to have a backup... or at the very least build your rig "modular"-ly....one thing fails, you can always reconfigure your presets, etc.

I was actually surprised that Kemper is also following suit with the cost cutting approach... take a look at the same flimsy laughable microswitches.  Everybody is now doing this. 

• Sad 1

Line 6 should hire some german engineer, like from LEHLE, to learn how to design a footswitch..  Yep they cost 15$ each instead 50 cents as those used in the Helix, but I'd rather pay the extra instead being scared and worried to use it...

On 12/22/2022 at 10:20 PM, theElevators said:

I was actually surprised that Kemper is also following suit with the cost cutting approach... take a look at the same flimsy laughable microswitches.  Everybody is now doing this. 

Actuators pushing on microswitches... it's not a new concept.

First time I saw that was on my old ROLAND FC Controller for my GP-8 n the 80's. ROLAND/BOSS has used them ever since in their ME and GT lines. Line 6 uses the metal toggles for actuators instead of the plastic stomps BOSS always had... many have since gone to the L6 style actuators including Kemper, Fractal and BOSS. I think people just become disappointed when they open it up and realize those are still actuators, not genuine footswitches. 

On 12/23/2022 at 7:44 AM, codamedia said:

Actuators pushing on microswitches... it's not a new concept.

First time I saw that was on my old ROLAND FC Controller for my GP-8 n the 80's. ROLAND/BOSS has used them ever since in their ME and GT lines. Line 6 uses the metal toggles for actuators instead of the plastic stomps BOSS always had... many have since gone to the L6 style actuators including Kemper, Fractal and BOSS. I think people just become disappointed when they open it up and realize those are still actuators, not genuine footswitches. 

I keep using my 17+ old Clavia Nord Electro 2 as an example.  I have seen what's inside, and it's tiny components, switches, etc.  Everything to this day works flawlessly, every key, button and LED.  I also know people who play a Kurzweil workstation from 20+ years ago--still works. 

Regarding optical expression pedals, same thing.  I have had a Bad Horsie for 12 years without a single issue.

Tactile microswicthes soldered on a PCB are just a good way for these companies to streamline the production and cut the costs. I cant think of any benefit in terms of lifespan, or purity of the contact (these are in fact the worst in terms of electrical switch bouncing). Also, for heavy stompers, this system does transfer energy from the kick to the PCB, which isnt helping. The tap tempo issue that many are facing with these devices, is also caused by the electrical switch bouncing from these tactile swicthes.

Said that, there are good tactile swicthes and bad cheap made in china sub level, tactile swicthes. Those in the Helix are the last. I can easily prove that, so Im not just talkin out of my a++. :)

14-F6-C790-56-D2-4-BEF-AA07-6271-FD7-FC4

• 11 months later...
On 12/21/2022 at 2:08 AM, MarcDwonn said:

I'm still searching for a replacement model LED. I can solder, but my knowledge of LEDs is almost zero. Researching phase, currently. (Besides, here in Germany, i can't get the model numbers listed in those posts, it seems.)

I measured the voltage on the pins of the emitter LED with a multimeter, on the PCB. It read 3.24 V.

Hi Marc thanks for sharing the great info!

Have you found the part in Germany? Im also living here and run into the same problem!

Any info on where and which part to buy would be appreciated :)

Thanks!