Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Poll Time: Choose Your Amplification

rhyswaitemusic

Poll time:

Headrush FRFR 112
Laney LFR212
Yamaha DXR15 MKII
QSC K12.2
Electro-Voice EV ZLX15P

Must be able to handle (well):
  • Bass guitar; electric guitar, acoustic guitar & synth

And:
  • Be of use as an on stage monitor (DI out to FOH) - large venues/any venue with a main PA/qualified sound guy
  • Be of use as part of a backline (only source of amplification) - smaller/medium sized venues

Which we picking?

On 12/21/2022 at 2:56 AM, codamedia said:

From that list the QSC K12 .... 

If you decided to make the Yammy or EV a 12, I might consider those as well for the price differences, but not the 15" versions.

Ah okay nice one - cheers!

On 12/21/2022 at 10:04 AM, DunedinDragon said:

Our Bass player is perfectly happy with using a DXR12 as a stage monitor.  I can't think of one good reason to lug around a DXR15.  Of course we also have a KS 112 sub, but even a DXR15 won't fill that role.

Sounds good, thank you!

One thing about Headrush, is they are so light!  I always have one with me in my trunk.  It's great for small jams or even rehearsals. 

A side note about my experience with FRFR's, is they have this very weird projection of sound.  It can be loud if you are directly in front of them, and then you would not hear anything if you step away.  Just like your typical wedge monitor. 

I still stand by my choice of amplification--a 12" speaker cab + a portable power amp.  My own compact rig is Mooer Baby Bomb + Orange 112. 

Or using Fender Twin Reverb works equally well.  You get a realistic "amp on stage" sound and feel that an FRFR will never give you IMHO.  With the Twin Reverb, I've used it as a keyboard monitor, or acoustic violin monitor/amp for decades.  It can do anything, including being a monitor. 

On 12/18/2022 at 1:32 PM, rhyswaitemusic said:
Which we picking?

It's not your list, but I use a Mackie Thump 15A as my "FRFR". You could also get a 12" version if you don't need the extra "thump".

The amp is built in, it cranks, has decent sound, is made to sit horizontally as a stage monitor, and its surprisingly light. 

I was going to get a fancy FRFR but then realized that they are, for the most part, overpriced, no better than PAs, and you pay for redundant features (like IRs)

So it doesn't HAVE to be a Mackie, I personally think they are great, but any decent full range PA will meet all of your requirements.

The bottom line: Go to a store, compare, and trust your ears, and don't be afraid to buy used or factory refurbs either to save cash.

• Like 1