Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix/Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister deluxe 40 Setup

philwatts1234

Hi,

I’m thinking of buying a Hughes and kettner Grandmeister deluxe 40 as my preamp (and DI from its red box out into an frfr on stage) but I would like to use the Helix fx and run the Helix via cab modelling from the xlr outs into the band PA for front of house. I’d also like to change presets on the GM via midi from Helix presets and snapshots.

is this all possible? 
I envisage plugging the guitar into the GM then fx loop send into a loop on the Helix and return that to the GM. Then place whatever cab modelling in the helix I require after that loop but only on the Xlr outs for foh. Would that work? Obviously I wouldn’t want cab emulation to run back to the GM but I would need all fx both back in the GM and on foh Xlrs.

And what about the MIDI side? Can I program the Helix to change presets on the GM from Helix presets and snapshots too? 
I haven’t committed to buying a GM yet but I’ve played through one and would like to utilise it rather than use the Helix preamps (although I like them)

Any help appreciated.

Phil. 

So, you don't want any Helix FX (OD,Dist,Mods) in front of the GM's preamp, you want to send the unadulterated GM Pre thru A,B,C Helix FX, then into an IR and on to FOH, like this:

Guitar>GM Input>GM Pre Out>Helix Input>A,B,C FX>Helix Send>GM Return>GM Power amp>GM speaker

> Helix cab/IR>Helix Output>FOH

IOW, the GM's pre into an IR and out to FOH? I can't imagine that would sound good.

Why not (if you really think an IR on Helix will sound THAT MUCH better than the Red Box):

Guitar>Helix Guitar In>X,Y,Z FX>Helix Send1>GM Input>GM Send>Helix Return1>X,Y,Z FX>Helix Send2>GM Return>GM Power Amp>GM Speaker

V                                                                                                                                                                                                                 >Red Box OFF>Red Box Out to Helix Return2>IR>HX Out to FOH 

If it was me, I'd be thinking really hard why I'd want to complicate my life vs just using the Red Box Out to FOH.

I find it hard to believe that H&K would have gone to all of the trouble and expense of licensing and building in the Red Box if it really sucked that bad.   

As to MIDI, yes, anything the GM needs MIDI for can come from Helix. You use Instant Commands (up to 8) in CommandCenter which load at Preset Load (from the default Snapshot) and again (with required changes) when each Snapshot loads.                                                                                                                                                                 

On 12/18/2022 at 4:56 PM, philwatts1234 said:

Hi,

I’m thinking of buying a Hughes and kettner Grandmeister deluxe 40 as my preamp (and DI from its red box out into an frfr on stage) but I would like to use the Helix fx and run the Helix via cab modelling from the xlr outs into the band PA for front of house. I’d also like to change presets on the GM via midi from Helix presets and snapshots.

is this all possible? 
I envisage plugging the guitar into the GM then fx loop send into a loop on the Helix and return that to the GM. Then place whatever cab modelling in the helix I require after that loop but only on the Xlr outs for foh. Would that work? Obviously I wouldn’t want cab emulation to run back to the GM but I would need all fx both back in the GM and on foh Xlrs.

And what about the MIDI side? Can I program the Helix to change presets on the GM from Helix presets and snapshots too? 
I haven’t committed to buying a GM yet but I’ve played through one and would like to utilise it rather than use the Helix preamps (although I like them)

Any help appreciated.

Phil.