Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Does anyone know of someone who will/can create a Helix preset based on a Guitar Rig one? Or take requests? I'm willing to pay

sabretooth24

For a few years now I've tried and failed to create the sound from the Guitar Rig 5 preset found at Guitar Amps - Hot Solo - Thrash Solo +

Some people here gave it a go and did a good job but could never get that exact sound as is. This preset has this magical ability to be bright but still have this nice low end thump. Even though I am using the closest attempt here as my live preset, I recorded my band's EP with that preset (our producer and I spent some time trying to get something close to this in the Helix but failing that we just used the GR5 preset). I'm at the point now where I would happily pay someone for their time if they could accurately replicate this preset in the Helix. Does anyone know anyone who could or point me in the right direction?

Thanks

I've tried this before. Did you post this elsewhere?

Anyhow, even using a Spectrum Analyzer and multiple EQs, I could get close, but the GR5 amps/cabs have their own sound and I couldn't find a way in Helix to duplicate it exactly. I just happen to also like that GR5 preset so I spent 3 or 4 hours on this (slow day, bored), but I admit that tone matching is not my forte. 

Maybe someone else can do better.

Just a suggestion or two...

I'm not familiar with Guitar Rig, but I do use Amplitube. Open the preset and check for an EQ 'module' at the end of the 'signal chain'. For example, it may be OD pedal>Amp model>Cab model>Mic>Compressor>Reverb>EQ.

Try bypassing the EQ (temporarily) and then match that sound, then switch the EQ back on, add an EQ to your patch and set it to match the one in the GR preset.

Alternatively, bypass every module except one and progress through the signal chain one at a time matching it's specific sound. When you've done each one, theoretically, you should be there.

Something to bare in mind, that probably never occurs to anyone. You're basically working with software, not hardware, to get a sound, and assuming that they're coded in the exact same fashion - which they probably aren't. 

One may be coded to just model how each 'unit' sounds on it's own, whereas the other is coded to also model how the individual 'units' interact with the adjacent units in the signal chain.

Even if they are both coded for those interactions, there's no guarantee they are coded to do the same things in the same ways.

On 12/21/2022 at 2:41 PM, rd2rk said:

I've tried this before. Did you post this elsewhere?

Anyhow, even using a Spectrum Analyzer and multiple EQs, I could get close, but the GR5 amps/cabs have their own sound and I couldn't find a way in Helix to duplicate it exactly. I just happen to also like that GR5 preset so I spent 3 or 4 hours on this (slow day, bored), but I admit that tone matching is not my forte. 

Maybe someone else can do better.

I did try posting on the Line 6 subreddit in Reddit but didn't get any replies, I thought this is probably where the biggest experts are!

Yes I remember you giving it a go, thanks so much for that! Someone did end up posting a close tone and after some tweaking I do actually use that live (they said the most important aspect was the EQ at the end of the chain). It's the closest I've heard to that tone but when I practice at home and go between the two...I just so wish I could get that exact tone out of the Helix somehow. Especially when it comes to palm muting...the Helix sounds so flat and thin compared to that preset, I'm almost thinking of using GR5 live or even seeing if the Quad Cortex can get me something similar!

On 12/21/2022 at 8:09 PM, somebodyelse said:

Just a suggestion or two...

I'm not familiar with Guitar Rig, but I do use Amplitube. Open the preset and check for an EQ 'module' at the end of the 'signal chain'. For example, it may be OD pedal>Amp model>Cab model>Mic>Compressor>Reverb>EQ.

Try bypassing the EQ (temporarily) and then match that sound, then switch the EQ back on, add an EQ to your patch and set it to match the one in the GR preset.

Alternatively, bypass every module except one and progress through the signal chain one at a time matching it's specific sound. When you've done each one, theoretically, you should be there.

Something to bare in mind, that probably never occurs to anyone. You're basically working with software, not hardware, to get a sound, and assuming that they're coded in the exact same fashion - which they probably aren't. 

One may be coded to just model how each 'unit' sounds on it's own, whereas the other is coded to also model how the individual 'units' interact with the adjacent units in the signal chain.

Even if they are both coded for those interactions, there's no guarantee they are coded to do the same things in the same ways.

Thanks for the tip - I'll give this a go!